Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: U.S.A. Culture and Language Help - II

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I actually did go onto a few boarding school websites and found out they have these things called 'student proctors' who over see the residence halls, although they really don't have a lot of power over the students during the school hours (that's the teacher's job).

This was more after hours once all the teachers had already gone home. That could be something with potential, though.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMeg
    I was wondering whether the students on student body council had any power over other students?
    Not power to punish us or anything like that. Their power was more in advocating for what we wanted with the administration or bringing up our issues with them. They could and did get stuff done though (nap room!).

Otherwise, I think our boards were like other school's. They helped run dances, they organized the clubs, that kind of thing.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Midnight Storm
    Freshmen ... Seniors ... Sophomores ... Juniors

Huh???

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Storm

Huh???
    Most American high schools and colleges/universities are four years long. Generally, people enter high school around age 14, and college around age 18. Freshmen, etc., are just other words for the various years of high school or college.

Freshmen=first years in high school/college
    Sophomores=second years in high school/college
    Juniors=third years in high school/college
    Seniors=fourth years in high school/college
    Eliza

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Storm

Huh???
    The terms are used both in high school and in college.

For high school:

"Freshman" = 9th grade = Hogwarts 4th year
    "Sophomore" = 10th grade = Hogwarts 5th year
    "Junior" = 11th grade = Hogwarts 6th year
    "Senior" = 12th grade = Hogwarts 7th year

Then you go to university, and start over again as a freshman.

Hogwarts 1st-3rd years are what we'd call 6th, 7th, and 8th graders in the U.S., which is usually middle school (or in some states, "junior high").

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Although these days, you are started to see a lot of university students refer to themselves as first, second, third, or fourth year students. Then there are also the fifth year students, or super-seniors.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    This is a very minor point in a story but it's been bothering me. A character refers to a Chelsea Tractor. Is there an American equivalent to this? A friend at uni in the US, when I asked him this, said "Cars", but I'm not sure whether that's just- him.

A Chelsea Tractor is basically a four by four used by city dwellers when it's not necessary to have one.

So is there an American equivalent or not?
    Banner by Minna.

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by welshdevondragon
    This is a very minor point in a story but it's been bothering me. A character refers to a Chelsea Tractor. Is there an American equivalent to this? A friend at uni in the US, when I asked him this, said "Cars", but I'm not sure whether that's just- him.

A Chelsea Tractor is basically a four by four used by city dwellers when it's not necessary to have one.

As a phenomenon? Absolutely. As a term, not really. We just call them SUVs or 4x4s, and it's pretty much understood that 90% of the people who have them will never drive them on any terrain rougher than their back yard. Some people call them, sarcastically, "Urban Assault Vehicles."

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    Quote Originally Posted by welshdevondragon

I believe the American equivalent would be SUV (sports utility vehicle). People will just call it their car casually (like, "Oh I left that book in my car") but will refer to it as an SUV to distinguish it from a sedan or sports car ("I drive an SUV").
    Edit: whoops, late.

Mags
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med View Post
    I need a good American equivilant of a British word.

You know the Board of Governers at Hogwarts? What would I call the equivilant of this in an American school. My school had major decisions was made by the School Board, but I went to a public school and the School Board had to answer a great deal to the state, while a private school would just be run by parents, teachers, and whatever that board is called.

Does anyone have any suggestions or terms to give?
    School board would work, that is what it is called at the school in my town... I don't think public or private has anything to do with it.

There is also a School Corp Committee here as well... so I think that could work for you too.

Board of Trustees, I know a private school near where I grew up had a school board called that.

Hope this helped a little.