Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S.A. Culture and Language Help - II

padfoot_returns

U.S.A. Culture and Language Help - II

This is the thread to ask question about American culture. You can find the first thread here

The last question that was asked was by Celtic_Jewel and she asked:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Jewel
    Hi, I was wondering, what would you call your grandparents? For instance, I call them Grandma and Grandad, but my cousins all call my Grandma Nana. In a few books, I've read of the grandfather being called 'Pop', but I'm not sure how true that is. The family is in Florida, by the way.

Any help would be amazing,
    -Ema
    The answers she received were:

Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    "Pop" is usually used for your father, not your grandfather. But some people call their grandfather "Grandpop."

It's somewhat regional. Grandma/Grandpa is most common, but Gramma/Grampa is used in some areas (that's really a variant pronunciation rather than a different word, though). Grandfather/Grandmother would be very formal as a way to address your own grandparents. "Gramps" for Grandfather is also sometimes used, though it's very informal/diminutive, and only used if you can get away with being that affectionate (or disrespectful).

I know some Southerners, but not all, use "Nana" for grandmother. I don't know how common that is.

One thing you won't hear in the U.S. is "Grandmum." But sometimes "Grandmom."
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    But also, just like Nana is a less common used word, you might also hear Papi for their grandfather.

And if it helps, Gramma and Grampa is considered somewhat of a Midwestern or rural variant of Grandma and Grandpa. Some families even invent their own words for their grandparents.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahogany_wand
    Personally, I call my grandparents "Grandma" and "Grandpa". I have heard of grandmothers being called Nana, so that's pretty common too. "Pop" was used back in the 18-1900s, although people still use it in the deep south. Not us northerners, though.

A lot of children make up names for their grandparents, too.

Hope this helps!

~M_W
    Carry on

xxRiham

Rhi for HP
    Oh, and there's also Granddad. I have two sets of grandparents, so one set is Grandma/Grandpa, the other is Nana/Granddad.

moonys-muggle
    Originally Posted by Celtic_Jewel
    Hi, I was wondering, what would you call your grandparents? For instance, I call them Grandma and Grandad, but my cousins all call my Grandma Nana. In a few books, I've read of the grandfather being called 'Pop', but I'm not sure how true that is. The family is in Florida, by the way.

Any help would be amazing,
    -Ema
    I am on the west coast and the majority of people use Grandma and Grandpa.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Ema,

Maybe if you told us what part of the U.S. you're looking into, we might be able to give you a better idea of the words you will need. We might even be able to give you some other help with regional dialect.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    She said Florida.

Parts of Florida use a Southern dialect, while other parts (around the big cities, down in the Keys, etc.) are more metropolitan and use the "standard" dialect mostly heard on TV (what I call "West Coast news anchor dialect").

Celtic_Jewel
    I've decided to go with Grandpop and Grandmom. Thanks for all the help!

-Ema

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    What are some likely languages a newspaper could be translatered to in the United States? I'm thinking of creating a spell spell that, when cast over one of the American newspaper, it will translate into a different language, depending on the variation of the spell. These are the languages I have listed right now, but I want to get a good list written for the spell chart.

• English
    • Spanish
    • French
    • German
    • Arabic
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Italian
    • Danish
    • Norwegian
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Russian
    • Romanian
    • Swahili
    • Hindi
    • Vietnamese
    • Polish
    • Hebrew

Can anyone think of any other likely suspects? I want to get as complete a feeling list as I can. I'll probably never use it, but I just feel secure in having a good back-reference.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

moonys-muggle
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    What are some likely languages a newspaper could be translatered to in the United States? I'm thinking of creating a spell spell that, when cast over one of the American newspaper, it will translate into a different language, depending on the variation of the spell. These are the languages I have listed right now, but I want to get a good list written for the spell chart.

Can anyone think of any other likely suspects? I want to get as complete a feeling list as I can. I'll probably never use it, but I just feel secure in having a good back-reference.
    This is what I have come up with so far. I will edit my post if I think of any more.

Tagalog
    Chinese should be broken down into Mandarin and Cantonese.
    Taiwanese
    Tongan
    Icelandic

Leigh

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    And here's an idea! How about Braille? Like the newspaper forms a bunch of little bumps for blind people to read.

Or maybe the newspaper could just talk instead...

Also, I'd like to mention some additional languages, like:

Greek
    Ukrainian
    Armenian
    Yiddish
    Urdu
    Hawaiian
    Farsi

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Well, let's take a look at the possible language listed so far.

• English
    • Spanish
    • French
    • German
    • Arabic
    • Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese)
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Italian
    • Danish
    • Norwegian
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Russian
    • Romanian
    • Swahili
    • Hindi
    • Vietnamese
    • Polish
    • Hebrew
    • Taiwanese
    • Tongan
    • Icelandic
    • Tagalog
    • Greek
    • Ukrainian
    • Armenian
    • Yiddish
    • Urdu
    • Hawaiian
    • Farsi
    • Spoken Papers for the Blind

Wow, this is going to be a long list of spells to come up with! But any others out there that people can think of?

Brand New Story!