This is the thread to ask question about American culture. You can find the first thread here

The last question that was asked was by Celtic_Jewel and she asked:
Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Jewel
Hi, I was wondering, what would you call your grandparents? For instance, I call them Grandma and Grandad, but my cousins all call my Grandma Nana. In a few books, I've read of the grandfather being called 'Pop', but I'm not sure how true that is. The family is in Florida, by the way.

Any help would be amazing,
-Ema
The answers she received were:

Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
"Pop" is usually used for your father, not your grandfather. But some people call their grandfather "Grandpop."

It's somewhat regional. Grandma/Grandpa is most common, but Gramma/Grampa is used in some areas (that's really a variant pronunciation rather than a different word, though). Grandfather/Grandmother would be very formal as a way to address your own grandparents. "Gramps" for Grandfather is also sometimes used, though it's very informal/diminutive, and only used if you can get away with being that affectionate (or disrespectful).

I know some Southerners, but not all, use "Nana" for grandmother. I don't know how common that is.

One thing you won't hear in the U.S. is "Grandmum." But sometimes "Grandmom."
Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
But also, just like Nana is a less common used word, you might also hear Papi for their grandfather.

And if it helps, Gramma and Grampa is considered somewhat of a Midwestern or rural variant of Grandma and Grandpa. Some families even invent their own words for their grandparents.
Quote Originally Posted by mahogany_wand
Personally, I call my grandparents "Grandma" and "Grandpa". I have heard of grandmothers being called Nana, so that's pretty common too. "Pop" was used back in the 18-1900s, although people still use it in the deep south. Not us northerners, though.

A lot of children make up names for their grandparents, too.

Hope this helps!

~M_W
Carry on

xxRiham