Do you think there are any incredibly violent Somalia-like places in the magical world to which absolutely no witch or wizard in their right mind would willingly go? If such turbulent places of advanced violent anarchy exist in the wizarding world, what is the reason for the instability?

Er...well, yeah, if the Harry Potter books themselves are anything to go by...and the area is called Britain. When the **** hits the fan (in the twentieth century. at least) it seems to be at it's worst in Britain, with Germany coming runner up.

Personally, in terms of Somalia-like situations, I don't think the wizarding world supports a large enough population for things like that to be commonplace. I mean, the biggest war we know about in wizarding culture is Voldemorte's second coming, yet even this "war" basically consists of a battle between at most hundred wizards, and I'd say far less. I think, in reality, there might be "people" no wizard in his right mind would willingly go to - but not regions.

The other factor here, is that wizards generally seem to be (or perceive themselves as being) more civilized than their muggle counterparts. Don't get me wrong, you can be civilized and still go out hunting muggles, or campaigning for the exclusion of all muggle-borns, but the sort of anarchic barbarism doesn't seem to show up much in the wizarding world, where villains tend towards a more cold, calculating evil.

I suppose the possible exception would be to have wizards stay well clear of regions populated by Giants or Werewolves. Certainly the fighting Giants seems the closest to what you describe.

On a related note, how turbulent is the wizarding world as a whole? How often do you think dark wizards show up around the world to make everyone's life difficult?

Well, in the twentieth century Europe (which does not necessarily extend to the rest of the world, but from the way wizards talk about Gellert and Tom, probably does) we have two dark wizards show up who really disrupt the status quo. There are plenty of Dark Wizards about, doing dark things, but in terms of significant impact on the world, we have two.

I'm inclined to think that the twentieth century was a busy century, in this regard. I'm sure that there have been continent-shaking events in the past, and that most centuries have someone show up and cause quite a fracas, but dark wizards that make a significant impact are very rare. To the extent of Gellert and Tom? Hmm. Probably about every 300-500 years. So, in the sphere of continental wizardry...

Wizards who hex people, are generally unpleasant and who make life more difficult than it needs to be: All the time.
Wizards who hex people, and kill someone: Ten or twenty a century (and many more if there is a war on)
Wizards who kill multiple people, and are generally scary figures (think Sirius!): One or two a century.
Wizards who kill people and attempt to forcibly gain power: Every two-five centuries, perhaps.
Wizards who kill many, many people and under whose power whole continents fall: Every couple of milennia.

Tom and Gellert are in the penultimate category, just so you know.

Lastly, to what extent to wizarding governments interact/cooperate with each other?

I think wizarding governments do co-operate, and I think there is a great deal of communication and support between them. That said, I'm also of the belief that most wizarding governments are nowhere near the size of the British Ministry for Magic. I'm sure that the British Ministry contacts the Spanish "Ministry", but while the former has hundreds of workers and perhaps a thousand or more subjects, the latter has around ten or twenty workers and perhaps a hundred subjects.

I suppose it depends upon what degree you perceive the HP as being Anglo-centric, and where the characters are stating facts or opinions with nationalised tints. The most Dark Wizard of All Time (something I'd dispute. ) was English. In 1000AD, the four greatest witches and wizards of the time were all British. Quodpot is played in the USA, but the world sporting championships are in the british sport (I believe?), Quidditch. Do these pieces of information reflect a British dominance, or just that the HP characters don't pay much attention to what goes on abroad?

At any rate, I see contact and co-operation, but most wizards seem to be so content in their long and frequently blessedly calm lives, that the thought of dying for causes does not appeal to them. So a Spanish wizard is not likely to hop on his broomstick to possibly die when the battle does not affect him, and vice versa for his English counterpart. I think it is that sort of mentality that allows people like Voldemort and Grindlewald to gain power.

Finally...

Quote Originally Posted by Merlynne
As for English-run Hogwarts in Scotland: There's an American School of Paris. Why not. Maybe it was established before the distinction between the two ministries was made, but the English insisted on controlling it still, in return for Scottish children being allowed to attend, and then the other regions insisted on participation as well. Unless you prefer to believe there are other schools in the UK. (I like making excuses for JKR's "mistakes," and filling in the blanks. )
Well, yeah, there's an American School of Paris. It's not the USA's biggest and top school, though, is it? In fact, it's not the USA's only school, for that matter. And though the school follows an American style, you can bet your back teeth that the laws and legislation that apply to it are French. Besides which, why would England have control over Hogwarts? Surely it would be controlled by Scotland, and English children would be allowed to attend.

Personally, I'm fond of picking at some of JKR's mistakes (you'll find no inverted commas around here!), because they're just so damned illogical. And I don't believe she knows her world half as well as people like to think.