Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Activities 2009

GringottsVault711

January Activities 2009

This month's prompt is:

Challenge yourself!

I know, I know, could I be any more vague?

The idea is to write something that you've never written before. Not simply because you haven't gotten around to it, but because for some reason or another, it would be difficult for you. Maybe you don't write Snape because you don't like him, or you don't write James/Lily because it's been done a million times before and you don't think you can do anything new, or maybe you don't write Founders Era because you're not sure you have enough info to pull it off right. Perhaps you've never written present tense before or first person point of view before. Whatever it is, now is your chance to challenge yourself.

Rules/Guidelines

• You must be specific about what it is you are challenging yourself with. It should fit into one of the following categories: Character, Pairing, Genre, Era, or Style. (Style can refer to point of view or tense.)
    • Drabble can be between 250-800 words.
    • Content should not be any higher than a 3rd-5th Years rating.
    • All content that would require a warning on the MNFF Archive should be labeled.
    • This thread is for responses only. If you have a question, PM me.
    • Responses must be posted by January 31st, 2009.
    • Please post using this format:

Title: The Confused House-Elf
      Challenge: Character - Dobby
      Why It Is Challenge For Me: (Optional) I never write Dobby because his I find his dialogue difficult, and I generally stay away from non-human characters.
      Word Count: 450 (This may be approximate)

Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text Story Text
    • As with all activities within the SPEW forum, this challenge is open only to SPEW members.

GringottsVault711

January Featured Author

Our featured author this month is Brittany! aka BertieBottsBeans741!

Her author's page can be found here.

• You must review the featured author for it to count as your monthly activity requirement.
    • Post the link to your review here - you may also post it in the December review thread for credit as a review, if you wish.
    • Questions in this thread are not part of the monthly requirement, but they are greatly encouraged. Also, they must have something to do with the subject of writing.

Indigoenigma
    My review for When Love Prevails is here.

Now, then, on to the questions!

For When Love Prevails, you worked with a co-author. Did you enjoy the experience of writing with someone else? Why/why not?

The vast majority of your stories take place in the Maurader Era. What's your favorite part of writing about that era?

Are there any characters that you absolutely cannot write?

I think that's about it!

~Kelly

BertieBotsBeans741
    Whooo! Thank you for that fantastic, magnificent review, Kelly!

For When Love Prevails, you worked with a co-author. Did you enjoy the experience of writing with someone else? Why/why not?

Ah, it was probably one of the most trying experiences I've had as a writer. Heh. It was a real challenge. There were so many things... we wrote in two different tenses, had to do a lot of back and forth, had to rewrite because parts didn't match, some of the prompts... ahhh, you're rousing all my memories. Hm, oh wait, you asked me if I enjoyed it. Yes, I really did. At times, I really just wanted to quit and delete what I had written but the fact that someone els is depending solely on you keeps you motivated. And I liked my partner, so that helps. (I wrote James, if you were wondering =D) I'd say it certainly helped me as a writer (how many times can you hear that before it becomes redundant and annoying?).

The vast majority of your stories take place in the Marauder Era. What's your favorite part of writing about that era?

Honestly, little else has really ensnared my interest so much. From the very beginning, that was my favorite. Over time, my interests have shifted a little. I used to be completely enthralled by just J/L but my horizons have broadened. I think what makes it my favorite era to write is just because I find the characters so, well, awesome. Hehe. My favorite part is creating the setting and even though we know some about them, there's still a vast amount of information that we never find out about any of the marauders or others in that time. I find myself so excited to delve into the era and just create everything and just get lost in my imagination. =) I love how open it is.

Are there any characters that you absolutely cannot write?

You know, I don't think there's a character I couldn't write. It's a matter of not being able to write them well. >.> Snape is someone I struggle with because I despise him so. I really do try but I just believe that I'm not the best at him. Dumbledore also can be quite a challenge. I can't fully capture him.

Eh, I hope I didn't ramble too much.

=D

Brittany

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Here's my review for your SSIV, Pandora's Box.

And questions: What inspired you to write the beginning of the story, the nightmare scene? And how did you come up with the title?

*pickles*

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

BertieBotsBeans741
    Thanks, Bine! =)

What inspired you to write the beginning of the story, the nightmare scene? And how did you come up with the title?

Well, once I had it in my mind that Mar wanted some Halloween-ish elements, it was pretty easy. I had already had Sheelin in my mind and then I needed horror, so I thought of something that was plausible, and, suddenly, it all became very clear. =D The war that was going on made it so that I could include the 'creepy' element.

As for the title, it's derived from Greek mythology. I've always really loved Greek mythology. If you've read the story, the themes of hope and the comparison between Pandora and Regulus are obvious. Unfortunately, I can't really explain the whole story. =)

Second Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

My review for When Love Prevails, Chapter Two, For Him.

Britt, my dear, you're an amazing writer. lol.

Anyway... onto some questions:

Besides Marauder-Era fics, do you have any other favorite categories to write?

Who is your favorite character to write, and why is it your favorite, and what made you first decide to write that character?

Based off of Kelly's question of what character you cannot write... what was the hardest character you have ever written before? Why, do you feel, it was the hardest for you to write?

Do you work better with a prompt, or if you have to come up with your own sort of prompt to write?

Hmm.. I think that's all. Really loved the story, too, dear. *hugs*

-Tiff

Banner by Riham! Thank you! Love you! <3

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea

Review for Pandora's Box.

Ah, now on with the questions.

- I've all ready asked this in the review... but how did you end up naming your OC 'Sheelin', and why?
    - I've noticed, as the others have too, that most of your fics are from Marauder era. But. There's also one poetry and it's from Narcissa's POV. How was your experience of writing it? Did it all just flow out or did you have to work a bit on it?

That's all, Ms. Brittany!

*bows*

*pickles*

- Afifa
    - Write - Beta - Drabble - Duel - Help -

Awesome avvie by Minna/minnabird.

MerryD
    My review for Pandora's Box is here.

I find it incredibly amusing that of the five of us that have reviewed you so far, we're divided among just two of your four stories and one poem. Then again, I'm easily amused.

So, some questions....

Favourite story you've written?

Ever tried your hand at OF? Your experience?

What attracted you to the HP universe of all the other fandoms?

How do you write? Paper? Computer? Music? Food/drink? Time of day? Etc?

Please forgive me for the lack of questions words. I'm finding them unnecessary atm.

-hugs-

-Mere

cirelondiel
    My review for Contemplation of the Wolfish Mind

Interrogation time!

I like your poem, Eclipse. Have you written any other poetry, or do you have any plans to do so?

You said you're interested in Greek mythology - has this influenced any of your other fics apart from Pandora's Box? Do you have any other plot bunnies inspired by myths?

The opposite of Mere's question: least favourite thing you've written? ^_^

And Mere spelled favourite the British way o.O

-- Chels