Thread: Cornelius Fudge

weasleywannabe47

Cornelius Fudge

Fudge. We all hate him.

But, he needs a thread anyway....

What house do you think he was in?

What do you think he looks like?

How old do you see him as being?

What position did he formerly hold before MoM?

Do you think he would ever have a family?

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? (Literally, flee the country...)

mahogany_wand
    Aah, Fudge. Mister Cornelius Fudge.

What house do you think he was in? y process of elimination, I have reduced that he was in Ravenclaw. He wasn't too just, he isn't too brave, and he's not that cunning either.

What do you think he looks like? Almost exactly like he is in the movies except with the lime green bowler hat.

Around 53-60ish

What position did he formerly hold before MoM? I think he was head of the uror department, like his future two MoMs.

I can picture him having a wife and children, yes.

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? (Literally, flee the country... Oh, definitely! I think that if there was a big enough problem he would leave someone else in charge and then go to America to live incognito.

A couple of new ones:

What were Fudge's childhood friends like?

What kind of a childhood did Fudge have?

~M_W

Rhi for HP
    What house do you think he was in? I have to say Hufflepuff. He's a little dopey (a la Fat Friar), wants everything to be nice and happy...

What do you think he looks like? Balding, shortish, worried-looking, lime green bowler hat...

How old do you see him as being? Late fifties, early sixties (grandkids? probably!)

What position did he formerly hold before MoM? I tend to think some sinecure in the Minstry, maybe Head of the Department of Magical Catastrophes or something... Basically a pompous, paper-pushing job that never prepared him to be the Minister.

Do you think he would ever have a family? I see a wife, two children, and possibly grandchildren as well, depending.

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? Ohhh yes. He did so in the books, by not having the courage to step up to the plate and say yes, Voldemort's back, now let's get our game together. Instead he chose denial, which is cowardly. He was turning away from the fear of not knowing how to respond to a real threat, and the fear of a second war.

What were Fudge's childhood friends like? Probably nice but shallow. Mates you can settle down to a drink with, but not good for nighttime metaphysical discourse.

What kind of a childhood did Fudge have? Probably really basic-- loving mother and father, probably sibling (I see an older brother or sister), probably a half-blood in a comfortable suburban home.

sorrow_of_severus
    What house do you think he was in? I'm not sure what house he would be. I suspect Slytherin, because he's definitely very keen to hold onto his powerful position as MoM, and isn't afraid to hurt people to do so. I don't think anyone would say Gryffindor, because he never showed any signs of bravery. Unlike Rhi for HP, I doubt he would have been a Hufflepuff either. Hufflepuffs are supposed to be good friends and generally seem to all be good people in the books. I'm not saying Fudge was evil, but he used Dumbledore early in his term and bashed in later in his term when it became politically convenient. That doesn't like the behavior of a good friend, or even a good person. In response mahogany_wand said, I admit that Fudge wasn't too cunning but:
    1) I think Crabbe and Goyle were way stupider than Fudge, and they were in Slytherin.
    2) Fudge did manage to have basically all of Britain thinking that Voldemort wasn't actually back for almost a full year. That requires some cunning.

What do you think he looks like? Short, slightly fat, greying brown hair

How old do you see him as being? 50's, probably

What position did he formerly hold before MoM? Not an auror! He doesn't have the bravery for that! Probably he started out at the ministry doing things like Percy did, boring things like regulations on cauldron bottom thickness, and did a decent enough job that he gradually got promoted higher and higher.

Do you think he would ever have a family? I never imagined him having a family, but if he did, it would be the stereotypical stay-at-home wife, two kids, white picket fence, etc.

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? Well, he managed to ignore the fact that Voldemort was back because it would be too much trouble. Of course he'd run from what he was afraid of!

What were Fudge's childhood friends like? Normal and boring, or perhaps slightly pompous.

What kind of a childhood did Fudge have? Normal and boring. Perhaps he was a much doted upon only child, kind of like Dudley.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

[QUOTE=Rhi for HP]
    What position did he formerly hold before MoM? I tend to think some sinecure in the Minstry, maybe Head of the Department of Magical Catastrophes or something... Basically a pompous, paper-pushing job that never prepared him to be the Minister.

Do you think he would ever have a family? I think he has, but I'm not sure if he still lives with them, as his wife is never mentioned. I can imagine him having children and grandchildren, but divorced (maybe his wife even got killed?) because else I think he'd mention her at some point. But he'd be a really nice granddad I think and visit his grandchildren often.

Edit: He certainly had a wife at some point, because Barty Crouch mentions her shortly before he dies.

What kind of a childhood did Fudge have? He definitely doesn't seem like the type of person who was pressured into the Ministry, so I think he had supportive parents. Maybe someone in the family worked in the Ministry or something, but I really don't think that his parents forced him to choose the ministry career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhi for HP
    You're actually right about the Department of Catastrophes.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter Wiki
    In the years before he became Minister, Fudge was previously the Junior Minister in the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. In 1981, he was one of the first on the scene after Sirius Black "killed" Peter Pettigrew
    I think this is mentioned either in the 3rd or 4th book (either when they recount Sirius' story in the three broomsticks or when they talk about how Barty Crouch almost became Minister)
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    What house do you think he was in? I can kind of see some Slytherin in him but I think he would have suited Hufflepuff as he had bits of other houses in him, he obviously had enough of the good qualities form each house that made him seem fit for Minister for Magic however, I wouldn't call him brave and not especially intelligent.

What do you think he looks like? Bumbling, short, a little bit fat (evidence of his comfortable lifestyle) , pompous-looking, lime green bowler hat

I'd say fifties or sixties; he seems to have been through a lot.

What position did he formerly hold before MoM? Well we've determined Head of the Department of Magical Catastrophes then but if I hadn't have known I would have gone for the head of some office that had quite an imprtant job but where he himself never did much of the work. I imagine he would have prefered to boss others around rather than getting his hands dirty or having to think on the spot for himself.

Do you think he would ever have a family? I think he would, he seems like that kind of family-man but we may not hear much of them because I imagine he tried not to bring them into his work in order to protect them. I think he'd love his family in that way and try not to draw too much attention to them (which would be hard considering his position)

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? (Literally, flee the country...) Yes, we already see a lot of evidence of this. He preferes to live in the dark with everything nice and content rather than to face the problem head on. If the situation got out of hand, I think he would flee the country. I can also see him doing this as a way to protect his family as well.

What were Fudge's childhood friends like? Probably noone spectacular; a bit pompous like himself, living comfortable lives in the magical world. I can hardly see him and his mates partying or doing anything too extreme in their spare time. I think they'd be happy just sitting and wallowing in their... happiness(?)

What kind of a childhood did Fudge have? I think he'd have had a very comfortable childhood; brought up in a very content and peaceful atmosphere because this is how he likes to think the wizarding world is. If that is how he knew 'home', in the dark times he tried to ignore I think he would have tried to make himself feel more comfortable.

The mess you left
    Will end
    See you at the bitter end

|| Dean's Corner ||

Rositaconche
    First of all I would like to state, that... I DO NOT HATE FUDGE!!!!

-I don't believe that Fudge is brave, rather, that he is a coward, thus Gryffindor no...
    He defiantly isn't smart, so he couldn't of been in Ravenclaw
    He not really that cunning, and not the type to fit in with a Slytherin
    thus i would have to say he was in Hufflepuff, as i am out of houses. Fudge isn't a really bad person and I can see his being loyal, he's just a really bad minister, it is a tough job...

-Plumb, chubby, maybe a tiny goatee. Green bowler hat likes to wear very warm clothes, going bald, quite pinkish, a bit like Vernon Dursley but not so walrus like.

-Late fifties, early sixties maybe.

-Something that looked quite important, but really didn't do much at all except boss people around.

-I can see his having a wife that always has to busy herself doing household tasks. He might have a few grown children, but they probably would have been mentioned going to hogwarts... unless they went to another school like Durmstrang.

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? (Literally, flee the country...)
    -Yes, in a way. ^^ he seems like the person who would go to the extreme to make sure he would not be found.

-I can see Fudge surrounding himself with a very pompous, stuck up group of people who think of themselves to good for anybody else.

-I can see Fudge having a childhood like Ron's. With a loving overprotective mother who always keeps him well fed.

GO FUDGE!!!!!

Victoire
    First off, I cant say I hate Fudge. Actually, I feel awfully sorry for him

Hufflepuff,for sure. He doesnt have great cunning, any wit nor courage, He rode on the shoulders of others to get where he did and relied on others to guide him through his days in office (Dumbledore). He doesnt fall into Slytherin, Gryffindor, or Ravenclaw at all. That leaves him with Helga, who took the lot treated them just the same ;]

On the short side, squat. Maybe a little stocky. I think the actor who portrays him in the movie is a good characterization of him.

Depends what time we are talking about here really. 60's through out the books Id say

No idea, something involved with the ministry obviously

Maybe

YES! Sorry to say it, but hes a coward

?

A simple one, I dont see him as having any issues at home. Maybe a little teasing at school.

jadoreluna
    What house do you think he was in? Most likely Hufflepuff...but he could be in Slytherin. He seems power-hungry.

What do you think he looks like? Large and balding

How old do you see him as being? Probably 50-60.

What position did he formerly hold before MoM? Nothing too dangerous...

Do you think he would ever have a family?According to lexicon, he has a wife and a nephew

Do you see him as the type to run away from what he was afraid of? (Literally, flee the country...) Yes Oop proves that

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    [B]What house do you think he was in?[/B
    I think that he was a Hufflepuff, just because he doesn't really have any of the other qualities of the other houses in him; he's not particularly brave, I don't see him as very intelligent, nor do I see him as overly cunning, though he must have a cretain ammount of determination to get him as far as Minister. He can be friendly and kindly, his reaction towards Harry running away from Privet Drive in PoA shows this. He just turns later on...

I think Robert Hardy who plays him in the films is a good representation, though with a lime green bowler hat.

I see him as being in his fifties

I reckon that he was head of the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophies, as he said he worked for them in 1981. I think he would have been promoted up through the ranks there. I certainly don't think he would have been head of the Auror department, he's not brave enough. The wizarding population favoured Scrimgeour because he was head of this department and knew how to handle Dark wizards, where Fudge did not.

Yeah, I think he would. I reckon his children would be older by the time he became Minister though, and would have left school. I don't really see him sending them to Hogwarts once he became Minister though, they might become a target for kids whose parents don't like him, and their views rubbed off on their children. If they were of school age when he was elected then I reckon they would have been sent overseas, or been homeschooled. In my next gen universe, Audrey Weasley is his niece, so he would have had other brothers and sisters.

I think he would do this only if it was very very serious, like he personally was being threatened by Voldemort or something. Remember, we don't see him running away when everyone is united against him in HBP.

Before he started school, I think that they were probably children who his mother thought would be good for him, so I'd say fairly well off and pompus, slightly like Ernie Macmillan. but after he went to Hogwarts, I think he'd have a few friends in his house, and keep the ones he had known before, thus holding onto that little vein of pompus-ness that seems to come across when he's older.

I think he came from a well-to-do family, and so would have had etiquette and manners drilled into him from an early age, but I think he and his siblings were doted upon, not to the extent that they were spoilt, but so that they hade very comfortable and slightly sheltered childhoods, which might explain why Fudge was so keen to ignore Voldemort's return and have everything sunny and lovely.