Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator: Thread Numero Cuatro

GringottsVault711
    Are you editting your story in the Story Text box?

Each time you preview/submit, it adds a <br> tag for every space. The more you do that, the more <br> tags it creates. So, make sure it's ready before you put it into the Story Text box.

If that's not the the problem, there may just be a system glitch.

2. 08-20-2006, 04:59 AM

Valentinia
    This may seem quite stupid, but I was wondering how to make things within fics bold, underlined, in italics, centered, etc. I tried using the same codes as in the forums, as well as ctrl+the letter (b/u/i, etc) but neither worked.

Thanks in advance,
    Valentinia

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentinia
    This may seem quite stupid, but I was wondering how to make things within fics bold, underlined, in italics, centered, etc. I tried using the same codes as in the forums, as well as ctrl+the letter (b/u/i, etc) but neither worked.

Thanks in advance,
    Valentinia
    You'll need to use HTML tags such as <center>, <b>, <i>, and <u> standing for centered, bolded, italicized, and underlined, respectively. Also be sure to close the tags after the last word you want "decorated" with </center>, </b>, </i>, and </u>, also respectively.

For example, I want to italiczie the word 'pretty' in the next sentence.

"That was pretty good."

Instead of using the code used on the forum, I would type:

"That was <i>pretty</i> good."

PM me if you still need help

snhpf
    I have a question about other houses here on the forums. Is there a thread where people from other houses can ask eachother questions about their house? Like, where could I ask Hufflepuff such questions as what their mascot is or what challenges they're doing? If there is no thread, where would be the best place to put one up, or is it even an appropriate thread. The sorting hat is always talking about inter-house unity, and I think we would have more if we knew more about eachother. Thanks in advance!

Gryffinpuff
    Okay, this really isn't hugely important and someone can just PM me if it's easier, but I was wondering how the featured story section on the main page works. My story was featured last week ("Senses," a Ron/Hermione fic), and I never received an email or anything, so it was a fantastically wonderful surprise when I found out. Then I noticed my little ribbon was removed this morning. Was that supposed to happen? Just curious about how the whole thing works. Thanks

EDIT: Ok, adding to this weird issue, one of my readers just emailed me and said I've disappeared from their favorite authors list and the only way they can access any of my stories now is to search for the titles. Help!

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by snhpf
    I have a question about other houses here on the forums. Is there a thread where people from other houses can ask eachother questions about their house? Like, where could I ask Hufflepuff such questions as what their mascot is or what challenges they're doing? If there is no thread, where would be the best place to put one up, or is it even an appropriate thread. The sorting hat is always talking about inter-house unity, and I think we would have more if we knew more about eachother. Thanks in advance!
    Hmm well that's a fun idea. Most people communicate about that over many threads though. Some curious ones also PM. It sounds like a good thing to put up in Room of Requirement though you may want to check with Robin on that before starting a thread like that just to make sure it's in the right forum

Okay, this really isn't hugely important and someone can just PM me if it's easier, but I was wondering how the featured story section on the main page works. My story was featured last week ("Senses," a Ron/Hermione fic), and I never received an email or anything, so it was a fantastically wonderful surprise when I found out. Then I noticed my little ribbon was removed this morning. Was that supposed to happen? Just curious about how the whole thing works. Thanks

EDIT: Ok, adding to this weird issue, one of my readers just emailed me and said I've disappeared from their favorite authors list and the only way they can access any of my stories now is to search for the titles. Help!
    Featured stories are picked at random by each mod. Each mod may pick three stories on their assigned week to feature. The authors aren't notified though and featured stories changes every week.

The second issue may be a glitch... see if re-adding you as a favorite author will solve this.

Unregistered
    I've gone through the process of beta-ing and searching the site for all the help I can get so now I turn to you. I found the page with the codes such as <i> </i> and so on and have inserted them into the necessary spots on my chapter which is saved as a microsoft word document but when I try to submit my chapter file it won't accept it. After filling out everything necessary and attaching my file when I click submit I get an error saying my upload was unsuccessful and my text must be in a certain format, I don't understand what am I doing wrong?

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I've gone through the process of beta-ing and searching the site for all the help I can get so now I turn to you. I found the page with the codes such as <i> </i> and so on and have inserted them into the necessary spots on my chapter which is saved as a microsoft word document but when I try to submit my chapter file it won't accept it. After filling out everything necessary and attaching my file when I click submit I get an error saying my upload was unsuccessful and my text must be in a certain format, I don't understand what am I doing wrong?
    Hmm well I'm not sure if my method's the most efficient, but the way I do it, my story comes out easily, with all tags in place.

If you already have the tags in your Microsoft word document, all I do is copy the entire text and paste it in the "Story Text" box instead of uploading the document. It's easier for me.

Unregistered
    Will this keep in my double spacing at paragraphs or will I have to insert the tags for that as well?

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Will this keep in my double spacing at paragraphs or will I have to insert the tags for that as well?
    You don't need to put in tags.

If you type in the following exactly word-for-word, space-for-space:

"Hurry up!" Hermione shouted.

"I'm coming!"

"Harry, really. Hurry <i>up</i>."

...you would get this:

"Hurry up!" Hermione shouted.

"I'm coming!"

"Harry, really. Hurry up."

So it works if you just double-space while typing. Hope I didn't confuse you.