Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Twelve Days of Christmas - 2008

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Twelve Days of Christmas - 2008

You have until 11:59 PM PST December 26 to submit an entry. Remember to read the rules! Please post your entry here! Feel free to also post it in your thread. However, if you want it to count towards the challenge it must be posted in this thread.

Use the following header:
    PHP Code:
    [b]Title:[/b]
    [
    b]Warnings:[/b]
    [
    b]Rating:[/b]
    [
    b]Word Count:[/bWill be double-checked by the Ebil One 
    Prompt: wreath

Luck!
    ~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Title: Wreath
    Warnings: None.
    Rating: 1st-2nd years
    Word Count: 100 - [when done by MS Word and counted manually. Your other tools disagree, but as my manual count agrees with MS Word, I'm going with that. I think the other sites must count apostrophes, etc, separately or something... ? And I stopped typing to check when I reached the exact word count. Freaky...]

Lily skipped down the path behind her parents; she was overjoyed to finally be home after a gruelling term at Hogwarts. She liked school, sure, but nothing beat being with her family at the end of the year.

As she approached the door to the Potters’ house, a smile lit Lily’s face. A wreath interwoven with holly, berries, leaves, and with a golden sparkle to it, took up half the front door.

Laughing, Lily turned to her father. ‘You’ve decorated rather thoroughly this year haven’t you? You never get a wreath.’

Harry, her dad, shrugged. ‘It was a boring day.’
    Ebil One Word Count: 100

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Snape Hates Me

Title: A Christmas from White to Black
    Warnings: None from this bit.
    Rating: 1st years at the moment
    Word Count: 100 words

Intricate, beautiful and obviously old, it hung over the doorway. From a distance, it seemed like a simple wreath belonging to any muggle family. It was green, made up of interwoven leaves, with a large golden ribbon tied in a bow decorating the top. Yet, after closer inspection, it was obviously magical. Small wooden birds sung from their miniature nests in the leaves, while little, brightly coloured fairies flitted around like planets orbiting the sun. Ted gulped, the ribbon was not a ribbon at all, but a flame shaped like a bow. Straitening his shoulders, he knocked on the door.

Write--Poem--Twitter

A Different View On Love Now Complete!
    Banner by amazing minnabird

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Title: Boxing Day surprises.
    Warnings: None, yet.
    Rating: 1st-2nd years
    Word Count: 100 words according to MS Word and manual count.

George,” shouted Molly. “Help!”

George trooped downstairs wondering what his mother wanted. In the kitchen he could smell turkey stew. He smiled as he remembered Fred’s face after the third day of eating up the leftovers.

“George,” Molly shouted, this time more urgently. “I’m in the sitting room. Help!”

He found Molly standing on a chair, holding a Christmas wreath in her hand and using it to swat something.

“Mum,” he said warily. “What are you doing?”

“Nargles, George,” she whispered. “They’ve infested the tree.”

George looked at his mum curiously; either she’d been drinking or something was seriously wrong.

Okay- not sure where I'm going with this now - hold on to your Christmas hats, people.

Carole
    xxx

I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sly Severus
    Title: The Traditional Wreath
    Warnings: None
    Rating: 1st-2nd Years
    Word Count: 100 (according MS Word)

Severus hated the wreath. Every year his father insisted on hanging it, with its brown needles and tattered bow. To him, it was tradition. To Severus, it was ugly.

Every year when the wreath came out, he’d shudder. It meant two things. First, he’d have to look at it. Second, his parents were going to fight about it.

This year was no exception. His mother begged his father to let her fix it. Magic could make it new again. He screamed that magic was the work of the devil.

Every year it was the same thing. Severus hated that wreath.

the_weird_one
    Title:Merry Christmas, Fred
    Warnings: Mentions of death
    Rating: 1-2 years
    Word Count: 100, according to the MS Word that I use.
    The wreath hung above their mantelpiece, golden leaves catching the first ray of sunlight that had reached the Weasley house. It was Christmas day, and everyone was excited, except for George.

This was his first Christmas without his brother, Fred. He had died about seventh months earlier in the famous Battle of Hogwarts, and George was still recovering.

As the early bustle started, the Weasleys tried to get everyone in place to open their stockings. George went down and stared at the wreath. He hung a picture in the center of his brother and a tear streamed down his cheek
    I had to trim (haha! A little Christmas spirt...) down a lot of my sentences and adjectives, not to mention things that I thought weren't nessacery but probably are. You might get a little confused when I said, "He hung a picture in the center of his brother". Well, I mean the center of the wreath. I hoped you liked it!
    -the_weird_one

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Title: Muggle vs Magic
    Warnings: None
    Rating: 1st/2nd years
    Word Count: 100 with word and manually counted - I don't trust your word counters - one gave me 99 the other 101.

Ron and Hermione’s first Christmas disagreement was about the wreath.

Hermione could remember her father going out every year to buy a fresh one, made of Holly and intertwined with bright red berries. She was determined the couple would follow the Muggle tradition.

Ron, however, was used to a magical wreath and he wanted an enchanted wreath, like the one he remembered, containing real live pixies and made from magical, colour changing Holly.

The argument went on for several days, until at last Harry pointed out that they had a front and back door and so could have two wreaths.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

leahsm2
    Title: Traditions
    Warnings: DH Disregarded
    Rating: 1st-2nd
    Word Count: 100

The ground was already turning to mush as the hard rain fell. Hagrid’s hair and beard were matted to his skin and the howling wind was deafening, but he didn’t notice. He was too busy to feel. There was a grove of fir trees far into the forest. These had always been Dumbledore’s favorites. They grew large and full and were perfect for the wreath that took a place of honor every Christmas, adorning the Head Table. Since Dumbledore’s passing, this simple gesture had taken on an importance that even Hagrid didn’t understand. He only knew that it was necessary.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    Current points: Click Here

Points will be updated again in a couple of hours.
    Just a note, I am using MS Word primarily to check word count. =]
    The other tools do count things that they shouldn't count like apostrophes or hyphens. However, I put them up just in case anyone wanted to double/triple check. I will not count by hand though - I don't have the time to do that. I'm sorry.

Everyone who has submitted an entry! Cheers! Very well written and cute! I wonder if anyone is going for a 'story' to string together. It'll be interesting.

-goes drink hot cocoa-
    ~Ebil One

ETA: Before anyone asks or tries this...no, you cannot submit another drabble and earn 3 more points. XD

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Title: Everyone Important
    Warnings: none
    Rating: 1st-2nd year
    Word Count: 100 words (according to MS Word)

“Lily, this is useless. It’s not like anyone can even see it,” James said as he hung the large wreath on their front door.

“It’s Harry’s first Christmas, I want everything to be special,” Lily replied.

James sighed. He could hear the sadness in her voice. He knew being forced into hiding was hardest on her.

“Lily,” he said, wrapping his arms around her, “it will be special no matter what. Everyone important will be here, that’s all that matters.”

“You’re right,” she said. “Our family will all be here.”

James tightened his arms around her and kissed her softly.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House