Name: inspirations
House: Hufflepuff
Title: New Beginnings
Warnings: Character Deaths.
Word Count: 245
Character & Quote: Andromeda Tonks and the Seneca quote.

The Ministry wizard looks at his hands and shuffles his feet uncomfortably. I know what he’s going to tell me and I can barely breathe, so I don’t try to help him out. Why should I?

He clears his throat. ‘Ma’am, I’m so sorry to tell you but, during the Battle of Hogwarts, your daughter and son-in-law were killed.’

The tears that had been forming in my eyes fall then, but he doesn’t make a move to try to comfort me. As he reaches the door, I manage to croak out a few words. ‘But … but what about me? I have nobody.’

His face softens - he pities me. ‘Ma’am,’ he says, stopping in his tracks. ‘You have your beautiful grandson. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end” - Seneca said that.’

‘What does it mean?’ I say, stroking Teddy’s head tenderly; he’s quiet, and seems to know how grave the situation is.

‘Think about it - maybe the child can help you,’ he says gently, leaving the room silently and letting me ponder on Seneca’s words.

The answer comes to me straight away. Whether it was the solution the Ministry official was intending, I don’t know, but it’s the one I believe. Teddy’s life has just started, and Remus and Dora’s were just beginning too. Together, at least.

I cradle their baby to my chest and let my tears soak his hair. ‘You’re my new beginning,’ I murmur in his ear.