Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - A Thousand Words: Christmas - Closed for Judging

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - A Thousand Words: Christmas - Closed for Judging

It's once again, time for a picture challenge. Your challenge for this week, if you choose to accept it, is to choose one of the two pictures below and write a Christmas-type drabble.

ho ho ho by nicamon of flickr || 12 Days of Christmas - Day 1 by ankou of Flickr

The catch? Yes, they're back. >.< Absolutely no angst, whatsoever!

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -
    PHP Code:
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [
    b]House:[/b]
    [
    b]Title:[/b]
    [
    b]Warnings:[/b]
    [
    b]Word Count:[/b]
    [
    b]Character:[/b]
    [
    b]Authors Notes:[/b
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.

All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (December 21st).

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner #4 - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

TTB Decree for the Weeklies:
    Due to a major lack of quality drabbles being submitted to the weeklies, Gato Loco will require that some real thoughtful, original submissions be posted from this moment on or you'll end up like this woman here. That's your one and only warning! XD

Other than that...have fun!

~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

the_weird_one
    Hello, I know, first post...
    Name: the_weird_one
    House: Proud Gryffindor!
    Title: The Little Santa
    Warnings: None.
    Word Count: 500
    Character: Tonks and her mother, Andromeda.
    Author's Notes: Here it is! I'm doing "Ho Ho Ho" by nicamon for my theme. I'm just assuming that because Tonks had a muggle father, she went to kindergarten. It's supposed to be a sweet piece. I had to delete a couple sentances to get it down to 500 words, though.
    A little girl with bubblegum pink hair dashed into the living room, looking as if she was going to explode if she didn’t get her news out.

“MUMMY MUMMY MUMMY MUUUMMMMMMMMYYYYY!” She yelled, jumping up and down with almost an endless amount of energy. Her mother went down the stairs with a slightly annoyed but content look on her face. She had bags under her eyes, and frizzy black hair. “Yes, Dora, what do you want?”

“Mummy, I’ve told you a billion times to call me Tonks!” the little girl said with a distraught look on her face. She then immediately switched back to excited mode. “Mummy! Guess what I made today in kindergarten!” she shouted.

“What did you make?” said her mother, Andromeda Tonks, said. She was completely focused on what her child had made, looking at her to see what surprises she did hold.

“This!” said Tonks, and pulled out a little homemade figurine. It was a little red puff ball that had glued-on mittens and a wooden head put on. You couldn’t tell how the head was stationed because of its beard, made out of string looped together and wrapped around his head. It had a wooden button nose, and too little black circles for eyes. On top of its head was a tan hat with red thread sown together on it. In the middle of the hat was a heart, however basic it might be. All of its features were perfectly aligned, with no mistakes at all. It was simply beautiful.

“Oh my Godric” Andromeda gasped. “It’s…wonderful.”

Tonks put on an innocent grin. “I made it myself.” She smiled.

Andromeda grinned, and she looked at Tonks again. “I’m going to put this someplace very special,” Andromeda said. She carried the little Santa over to the fireplace, placing it down. Tonks interjected, “MUMMY! NO!” She swiped the doll off of the mantelpiece, bringing it close to her. “What if it falls in and burns?” She suggested feebly.

“Okay, I see your point. How about here…” Andromeda put it on a bookcase, and then stepped back. “NO!” Tonks shouted again. “What if that picture falls and smashes the Santa?” she said, seeming determined for the Santa not to get hurt. They buzzed around, looking for the perfect place to put Santa, (“No, that’s too close to the cat; he’ll get eaten by him!” “The oven is too hot! He’ll get burned!” “We’ll never find him there! That’s where all the lost stuff is!”) They finally settled on a spot for the Santa guy.

“How about here?” said Andromeda, exhausted. She pointed to the windowsill, which showed a panoramic view of the snow gently falling, covering the neighborhood in a blanket of snow. Tonks surveyed it, examining every inch of the surface.

“I think it’s just…right.” She said with a grin on her face, and lightly took Santa out of her mom’s hand and placed it on the windowsill. It fit flawlessly with the scene.

“Merry Christmas” Tonks said.

mahogany_wand
    Name: mahogany_wand
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Newlywed Christmas
    Warnings: None
    Word count: 477
    Characters: Harry and Ginny
    Author's notes: I chose the 12 Days Of Christmas- Day 1 by ankou as my picture. A sort of romance!

It had been a hectic year for Harry. He had gone from being the most famous bachelor in the wizarding world to the most respected newlywed in less than six months. He had gone from screaming fan girls to washing dishes. People no longer asked him whether he preferred boxers or briefs, instead they asked him if he preferred Emma or Scarlett as a baby name. The married life was hard to get used to. But these weren’t half of his problems. It wasn’t too bad getting away from the spotlight.

The real problem was that Christmas was quickly approaching. Harry knew that Christmas meant a lot to the Weasleys, which presented a small problem. He had been assigned to travel to America on Christmas Eve to present at the Salem Witches Academy, and he knew this wouldn’t sit well with Ginny. He knew he would have to break the news to her somehow, and he could think of only one way to make it seem less drastic. He would take her with him, that’s what he’s do!

That night, as Harry waited for Ginny to finish cooking the salmon with sugar snap peas and rice, he thought about exactly what he was going to say. “Ginny, love, I’ve been requested to make a speech in America on Christmas Eve. Either you can hang back with your family, or I can take you with me.” There, not too sappy, not too harsh, perfect! He thought.

As Ginny began plating the fish, she spoke. “Harry, I have to go into work on Christmas. The Holyhead coach wants us to put on a little broom show, if you know what I mean. You can still go to my parent’s house if you want, but I just want you to know that I won’t be able to make it.

Harry, his mouth hanging open in utter shock, began to laugh. He roared, pounding his fists on the table. “Ginny, that’s fine. In fact, I have a little something going on then too.” Harry wiped his eyes on the back of his sleeve, and then told her what he had going on. When he was done, Ginny had a good giggle too.

“Guess we should let Mum and dad know we won’t be coming for Christmas this year,” she said.

Ginny’s winter show went well, and Harry’s presentation was extremely popular. As he was strting to back to head back home, Harry found a neatly wrapped package with his name on it. Inside was a Christmas ornament with two snowmen on it, clinking champagne glasses. Underneath was the heading, “Our First Christmas.” Harry found a note taped to the back of the ornament from Ginny reading, “Let’s hope we can spend the rest together.”

Smiling, Harry held the gift in his hand and whispered into the silent room, “Merry Christmas, Ginny.”
    ~M_W

Sly Severus
    Name: Sly Severus
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Christmas Traditions
    Word Count: 413
    Character: Teddy and Andromeda
    Authors Notes: This story is a sequal to The Little Santa by the_weird_one. She was kind enough to let me continue the story of her Santa. I hope she finds this interesting. Thanks again!

All of the Christmas boxes were scattered around the room when young Teddy Lupin woke that morning. His grandmother was hard at work, decorating the tree. She looked tired, and not at all interested in the task. That made him sad. He knew she only decorated for him. Even at a young age, he understood that there were many things his grandmother did only for his benefit.

As he approached the tree, he realized that his grandmother wasn’t decorating at all. Instead, she was hunched over the tree, clutching a small Santa decoration, tears streaming down her face.

Not knowing what to do, Teddy remained silent, allowing his grandmother a moment of peace. He studied the tiny Santa in her hand. There didn’t seem to be anything very special about it. It was very plain. A small red puff ball with a Santa head and some mittens sewn on. The tiny decoration reminded him of something he would’ve made when he was three or four. Yet every year, his grandmother displayed the Santa with great pride. However, he’d never seen her crying over it before.

Teddy didn’t move, but somehow she sensed he was there. Turning slowly, she faced him, forcing a smile through her tears.

“You must think I’m crazy,” she said.

“No more than usual,” he replied, trying to make light of the situation.

She handed him the tiny Santa. He accepted it, knowing to be careful. His grandmother would be devastated if anything happened to it.

“Your mother made that,” she told him, wiping away her tears. “It was the first Christmas decoration she ever made, and it was flawless. I still remember how excited she was when she brought it home. She thought it was the most beautiful thing. It took us forever to find a place to display it. She was afraid something would happen to it.”

Teddy looked at the little decoration in a different way. No longer was it a random piece of Christmas. It was a piece of his mother—something he had very few of.

“Where did she finally put it?” he asked.

His grandmother pointed to the windowsill across from the tree. “She thought it would be safe there.”

“Then that’s where we should put it every year,” Teddy replied, placing the Santa on the window very carefully.

Every Christmas after that, Teddy would look at the small decoration with the same respect and loving that his grandmother had given it all along.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Equinox Chick
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Ginny's gift
    Word Count: 498
    Characters: Ginny, Harry and Fleur
    Authors Notes: I was unable to put the accenty things on the French words - my apologies!

There was a loud crack heard in the garden as two figures suddenly appeared. Ginny was looking flustered and Harry exasperated.

“Can you explain, Ginny, just why I’ve given up my free day to come here, when we could be tucked up on the sofa together at Grimmauld Place?” he asked.

Ginny sighed, but leant over and gave him a kiss. “You know why, Harry. You also know that I’d rather be at Grimmauld Place, alone with you, than here at Shell Cottage, but Mum was insistent.”

“Why does Molly think we can succeed when she’s failed?” he asked. “If Fleur is determined to spend Christmas by herself, then why are we interfering?”

“Merlin, don’t you understand anything?” said Ginny, rolling her eyes. “It’s Victoire’s first Christmas and she’s the first Weasley grandchild. Personally, I think it’s odd that Fleur doesn’t want any help, with Bill away in Egypt.”

Harry refrained from saying that Fleur knew exactly how to get hold of them if she needed help and followed Ginny to the door.

“Fleur,” shouted Ginny. “It’s Ginny and Harry. Can we come in?”

Oui,” said a faint voice.

They walked into the living room. On the sofa sat Fleur and Victoire.

“Shush!” whispered Fleur, “I’m trying to get ‘er to sleep.”

“Oh,” said Ginny quietly. “We’ve just come to bring Victoire an early Christmas present.”

Fleur looked at them. Harry was shuffling his feet, determinedly not looking at her, whilst Ginny was pulling out a small wrapped present. She walked forward and placed the gift in Fleur’s hands.

“It’s not new,” she said as Fleur began to tear off the paper, “but it was something I was given when I was a baby and I thought Victoire might like it.”

Fleur smiled as she saw the gift. Inside was a fat, fluffy Father Christmas doll. He had black eyes and a woolly beard.

Pere Noel!” she exclaimed joyfully. “Victoire, look it is Pere Noel.”

She looked up at Ginny and smiled, not her usual dazzling Veela smile, but a smile that spoke of warmth and gratitude.

“Eet is lovely, Ginny. Thank you,” she said. She lifted the toy above Victoire’s eyes and laughed as her baby’s face lit up.

“We shall take very good care of it and then we shall return it one day, peut-etre?” Fleur said slyly. She giggled as Harry and Ginny blushed. Victoire let out a wail so she began to rock her.

“Dodo, l’enfant, do
    L’enfant dormira bien vite.”

Victoire’s eyelids began to close as she listened to Fleur’s lullaby. Finally, when she was asleep, Fleur looked up at Ginny.

“I ‘eard today zat Bill will be back for Christmas,” she said happily. “So, please tell Molly zat we will be at the Burrow.” She looked down at her sleeping daughter and stroked her pale red-gold hair. “So peaceful now,” she mused, adding mischievously, “but the one thing zat always makes ‘er cry is the voice of Celestina Warbeck.”
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Name: inspirations
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Family Christmas
    Warnings: None.
    Word Count: 329
    Characters: The Weasley Family [Molly, Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Fred, George, Percy, Ginny, Ron]
    Authors Notes: I used the '12 Days of Christmas' picture.

In the distance, church bells chimed for seven o’clock in the morning.

‘Mummy! Daddy!’ screamed Fred, hurling himself onto his parents’ bed. George, Ron and Ginny followed suit, but Percy hung back, looking worried.

Molly sat up and stretched, groaning. She ruffled Ron’s messy ginger hair. ‘Morning, lovelies.’ She tried to swing her legs out of the bed, but the twins were sitting on them. Giving them a stern look, she said, ‘You want me to get up, don’t you?’

George scrambled over to Arthur’s side of the duvet, pulling Fred with him.

Molly stood up and pulled on her dressing gown while Arthur rubbed the sleep from his eyes. The children lined up at the end of the bed and all fixed their gazes on him.

‘I’m getting up, I’m getting up,’ he grumbled, but his eyes betrayed laughter. Flapping his hands at them, he added, ‘Shoo, shoo.’

The children bounced down the stairs and flopped before the draughty fireplace in the living room.

‘Present!’ Ginny announced enthusiastically, pointing under the tree.

Her brothers nodded, amused.

Their parents’ stumbled into the room, bleary eyed. Molly’s eye caught sight of a decoration on the tree, and she turned to whisper in Arthur’s ear as Bill and Charlie meandered into the room.

‘This is our first real Christmas, as a family, Arthur - it’s the first time Ginny has been excited.’ Her eyes watered as she remembered the times before her children. She couldn’t imagine life without them.

Her husband nodded. ‘It’s the first time they’ll all appreciate the day.’ He looked at the small pile of presents under the tree and then turned to his bouncing children. ‘Have some breakfast first, kids. Can’t open all that at once now, can we?’

‘Aw, dad!’

Molly adopted a brisk, stern, tone. ‘Don’t argue.’ She strolled over to the wireless and twiddled with the knobs. Celestina Warbeck’s warbling filled the room.

She went and placed a kiss on Arthur’s cheek. ‘Merry Christmas.’

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Name: mudbloodproud/Terri
    House:Hufflepuff
    Title: Traditions
    Warnings: none
    Word Count: 487
    Character: Sirius/OC named Abby
    Authors Notes: I chose the 12 days of Christmas picture. Just a bit of a preview of my newest WIP, Love Beyond Forever

“Sirius, there’s an owl at the window, let him in, will you?” Abby called to her husband of one month. She was sitting on the floor wrapping presents and placing them under their Christmas tree.

“An owl?” asked Sirius as he came into the sitting room. He leaned down to kiss Abby causing her to giggle and push him away.

“Yes, an owl,” she said, pointing to the window.

Sirius looked over at the window. “That’s James’ owl, I hope nothing is wrong,” he said worriedly as he rushed over to open the window.

The owl flew gracefully into the room and landed on the back of the sofa. He held out his leg on which a small package was attached. Sirius untied the package and the owl hooted once before flying back out the window.

Going over to Abby, he sat down next to her and then began opening the small package. As he did a note fell out. Abby picked up the note and began to read:

To the newlyweds,

Just had to return the favour.
    Not as silly as the one you got us last year.
    But, they’ll do.

Love,
    Lily

Abby looked at Sirius, who was laughing uncontrollably. At her questioning look, Sirius explained, “Last year, I got James and Lily this stupid ornament with Father Christmas and his wife. The banner said the same thing, Our First Christmas.” He held up the ornament he had just unwrapped.

Abby looked at the snowman couple and began laughing along with Sirius. She took the ornament and stood. She reached up and placed the ornament in a spot high on the tree. As she went to step back, Sirius pulled her back to the floor.

“I think this is going to be the beginning of a new tradition,” said Abby. She reached out and picked up a small box that hadn’t been wrapped yet. Opening it, she pulled out a small ornament.

Sirius took it from her to look at it. It was a small baby dressed in a blue Father Christmas suit, on the banner it said, Baby’s First Christmas. He began laughing. After a moment, he stopped laughing abruptly.

“Abby, are you…are you trying to tell me something?” he asked hesitantly.

“What? Oh, no. No, I’m not pregnant,” she said sadly. “But, maybe by next Christmas…” she let her voice trail off.

“Hmmm,” said Sirius. He carefully set the ornament back into the box Abby still held. Taking the box from her, he put it down on the floor. Leaning over her, he gently pushed her back so she was lying on the floor in front of the tree.

“I think traditions are a wonderful thing to have,” he said slyly. “And I just thought of one we can start right now.”

Abby looked at her husband. Smiling, she said, “Oh, well, who am I to stop a tradition before it even starts?”
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House