Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What We Learnt From Dumbledore's Notes

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George

What We Learnt From Dumbledore's Notes

What we learnt from Dumbledore's notes in Tales of Beedle the Bard, and I'm not talking about things related to the tales themselves, rather I'm talking about the things related to canon.

• Brutus Malfoy, an ancestor of Lucius Malfoy, was the editor of an anti-muggle periodical called Warlcoks at War around 1675
    • Professor Herbert Beery was the Herbology teacher when Dumbeldore taught transfiguration at Hogwarts
    • Professor Silvanus Kettleburn was the Care of Magical Creatures teacher at that time, and he had at least sixty-two probationary periods during his teaching career. His relationship with Armando Dippet was strained.
    • There has been only one attempt at a play or pantomime at Hogwarts- The Fountain of Fair Fortune, when Dumbledore was Transfiguration teacher. He had to do the "special effects"
    • Professor McGonagall became the headmistress after Dumbledore's death
    • A warlock is a wizard of fierce appearance or a title of particular skill or achievement
    • No witch has ever claimed to own the Elder Wand

I just thought it would be helpful. Anything else? I didn't include books like Hairy Snout, Human Heart, authors, magical laws and stuff like that.

Professor McGonagall is generally agreed to be the Headmistress after Hogwarts, but not every one agreed to this- we have proof now.

Also- is this book, and the other two companion books considered canon?

~BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    Actually, no one agreed on Minerva because Jo said in an interview that she did not become headmistress.

Oh, the contradictions.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Oh, really? Jo really has to get her act together. >.>

But Minerva was the most obvious choice...

~BB

Profile on the Archives

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix5225
    Actually, no one agreed on Minerva because Jo said in an interview that she did not become headmistress.

Oh, the contradictions.
    Oy. Did she really just announce that McGonagall became Headmistress after all? How annoying.

Now I'm going to have to go get that book.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Oy. Did she really just announce that McGonagall became Headmistress after all? How annoying.

Now I'm going to have to go get that book.
    I'm still hoping that means just temporarily after Dumbledore's death was she the headmistress. But having not seen the book, I'll just have to go with she has contradicted herself yet again.

If you get it, please let me know your thoughts on the matter!

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Another thing I noticed that as soon as I read it, I saw the proof of the theory all Muggleborns had a witch or wizard in their ancestry was Dumbledore's note on Warlock's Hairy Heart was the note that said:

Hector Dagworth-Granger was the founder of the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers.

This would perhaps be an ancestor of Hermione?

Edit: I knew there was something else. It was also confirmed the difference between Animagus transformation and animal transformation. With an Animagus transformation you keep your human intelligence, with transforming into an animal, you become that animal and would not have any knowledge of being human. You would need someone to transform you back or your would remain an animal because that is all you are when transformed into an animal. I hope I explained that okay. My book is downstairs so I can't quote it the way it was written.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Well, it actually says on page 80, in the footnotes, "Professor McGonagall, Headmistress of Hogwarts, has asked me to..."

in some parts Dumbledore felt just... a little OOC. Like when he said something along the lines of "some great wizards" and then said in the footnotes "like myself", it just felt OOC. Dumbledore is incredibly humble, even till the point where you start to get irritated.

Terri, wasn't Hector Dagworth-Granger mentioned by Slughorn in HBP to Hermione, who then says that she isn't related to him as she is a Muggleborn?

~BB

Profile on the Archives

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally posted by BB
    Terri, wasn't Hector Dagworth-Granger mentioned by Slughorn in HBP to Hermione, who then says that she isn't related to him as she is a Muggleborn?
    BB,
    You are right, he did mention him to her. She said she didn't think so, but she didn't know for sure as she was Muggleborn.

I completely forgot about that because it has been a couple months since I read HBP. Guess it is time to do a complete reread of the series if I am forgetting something like that. LOL
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    OMGG!

I haven't got my book yet as it's stuck at the delivery office but I can't believe I guessed right with Potioneer - YES! (see my Gauntlet story 'Five weeks' - shameless plug )

Regarding McGonagall being Headmistress. I thought (and could well be wrong) that Jo said McGonagall wasn't Headmistress by the time James and Albus were at Hogwarts. She didn't actually say that McG never became Headmistress, did she? She just said she'd be a bit too old by then. It makes sense that she'd take over temporarily, at least.

Okay I've sent my husband off to pick my book up. I shall rejoin the thread when I'm done.

Edit- I'm halfway through. I love the fact that they mention WADA (Wizarding Acadamy for Dramatic Arts - Muggle equivalent in Britain is RADA). We've often debated about artistic type things such as painting, singing and the like. I like to think there's an Art school somewhere as well.

Also the word huggle is used. I thought it was a Mugglenet thing - I was wrong.

I bought the collectors edition and I have the most marvellous set of pictures to go with it. This is fueling my obsession - big time.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

CakeorDeath
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    Well, it actually says on page 80, in the footnotes, "Professor McGonagall, Headmistress of Hogwarts, has asked me to..."

in some parts Dumbledore felt just... a little OOC. Like when he said something along the lines of "some great wizards" and then said in the footnotes "like myself", it just felt OOC. Dumbledore is incredibly humble, even till the point where you start to get irritated.

~BB

I wouldn't say that Dumbledore was humble. Not arrogant but he knows he's a genius and he is not ashamed to say it. I think he's said it in one of the books.

Sorry, off topic.