Thread: RUSSIAN Language and Culture Help

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class

RUSSIAN Language and Culture Help

Привет!

Yes, this is the brand, spanking new RUSSIAN Language and Culture Help thread, if you were wondering!

Now, I am starting this thread because I had an idea for a story, of which I wrote a short passage in the Excerpts of Murtlap thread. Anyway, this story idea is about an exceedingly paranoid Joseph Stalin and his rather inharmonious relationship with the wizarding world.

I have a very basic understanding of the Cyrillic alphabet, but I know almost nothing about the language and most aspects of Russian culture, which is why I'm starting this thread!

So, here are some questions I'd like to know the answers to...

What would the Russian Minister for Magic be called? I just called him the "Boyar of Magic," but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas. Preferably, I'd like a title that Joseph Stalin (being a staunch communist) would treat with disdain.

What do Russians think of Georgians, the place of Stalin's birth?

And how do Russians see Ukrainians? And vise-versa?

What are some good Russian insults, and their translations? Having them in Cyrillic letters too would be lovely.

What does Russian spoken with Georgian accent sound like?

Similarly, how does Russian spoken in a Ukrainian accent differ from "normal" Russian?

What are some typical Russian meals?

Where would the Russian wizarding world's version of Diagon Ally be? Moscow or in Saint Petersburg (Leningrad)?

What do Russians say and do (like shake hands?) when they greet each other?

How do Russian names work?

That's all the questions I have at the moment for any of you Russian speakers out there, and thanks in advance for any answers. Cheerio!

Tim the Enchanter

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

What would the Russian Minister for Magic be called? I just called him the "Boyar of Magic," but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas. Preferably, I'd like a title that Joseph Stalin (being a staunch communist) would treat with disdain.
    Boyarin of Magic would be correct. Moreover, boyarin was a tsar's councillor in old Russia, so Stalin would REALLY object.

What do Russians think of Georgians, the place of Stalin's birth?
    Good place to go on vacations/buy wine. That's what Caucasus is famous for. A little resentful, due to strained political relations. Most of illegal immigrants in Russia come from that place to work. Ukraine is viewed as a younger sibling, but politics is strained at the moment.

What does Russian spoken with Georgian accent sound like?
    Fast, with wrong emphasis. More emphatic than regular Russian.

Similarly, how does Russian spoken in a Ukrainian accent differ from "normal" Russian?
    Softer, more musical. Consonants are not as severe.

What are some typical Russian meals?
    Pel'meny - ravioli-like meatballs rolled in dough and boiled
    Really dark bread
    Soup - very important, most people eat some type every day. NOTE: it is watery, not a puree.
    Mashed/fried potatoes - the potato is a staple, most soups include it as well
    Blini - large pancakes made with yeast

Where would the Russian wizarding world's version of Diagon Ally be? Moscow or in Saint Petersburg (Leningrad)?
    Excellent question. I am leaning toward Moscow, as, traditionally, it was more of a merchant city.

What do Russians say and do (like shake hands?) when they greet each other?
    Men often shake hands. Hugging is not common. Common greetings are "Good day/morning/evening", "Hello" and a greeting that literally translates to "Be healthy."

How do Russian names work?
    First, there is the first name, Anna, for example. Secondly, there is a patronym. If her father was Ivan, it would be Ivanovna. Then the last name, in female form - Ivanova. Here is a list of common patronyms. First for a female, then for a male.
    Ivanovna Ivanovitch (father Ivan)
    Vladimirovna Vladimirivitch (Vladimir)
    Konstantinovna Konstantinovitch (Konstantin)
    Fedorovna Fedorovitch (Fedor)
    Georgievna Georievitch (Georgiy)pp

Now, if it is a friend, close relative, etc, they would address her by a pet name (Anya, Annushka, Anyuta). If the relationship is more formal, they would use first name and patronym, Anna Ivanovna OR Citizen + last name.

I am a native Russian speaker, feel free to contaact me if you need help.
    -Alice

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Okay... How would you write "the daily gazette" in Russian? That's what I want to call my newspaper for the triwizard tournament task 2, and I want to be authentic and have the title in Russian if I can. I don't trust the translators you can find on Google much though...

Thanks in advance! xx

Fourth Year Hufflepuff

Dnevnaya Gazeta

Дневная Газета

That means Daily Gazette.
    -Alice

Enneirda
    In Russia, how would you introduce yourself?
    Would you say "Last name, first name"?

Trivial, I know, but I would like to know to make this little plot bunny in my head more authentic.
    Thanks in advance!

-AJ

Fourth Year Hufflepuff

Depends. If it is a more formal introduction, one says first name and patronym (last name is optional). A less formal procedure entails first name with the optional last name.
    -Alice