Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - Life of a Wizard: Tea Time - Results

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - Life of a Wizard: Tea Time - Results

Your prompt this week is to write a drabble using the quote below as inspiration - you can use any character you want. However, it must be written in third-person omniscient.

If you are cold, tea will warm you. If you are too heated, it will cool you. If you are depressed, it will cheer you. If you are excited, it will calm you. ~Gladstone, 1865

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -
    PHP Code:
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [
    b]House:[/b]
    [
    b]Title:[/b]
    [
    b]Warnings:[/b]
    [
    b]Word Count:[/b]
    [
    b]Character:[/b]
    [
    b]Authors Notes:[/b
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.

All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (November 30th).

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner #4 - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

Not So New Anymore for the Weekly Challenges:
    Due to a major lack of quality drabbles being submitted to the weeklies, Gato Loco will require that some real thoughtful, original submissions be posted from this moment on or you'll end up like this woman here. That's your one and only warning! XD

Other than that...have fun!

~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Sly Severus
    Name: Sly Severus
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Beginnings
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 412
    Characters: McGonagall and Snape

Minerva watched the young man, his long greasy hair hanging around his face. All his life, he’d tried to hide behind that hair, but never with much success. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, his personality wasn’t equipped for hiding.

Even from down the hall, she could tell he was nervous. There was no shame in that, but he’d never believe it. Every professor was nervous on their first day. She had been terrified, but Albus had been there to help her though. Now, it was time for her to pay the favor forward.

“Good evening, Severus,” she greeted the man as he approached her office.

He grunted a reply. Hopefully, his verbal skills would be more advanced when he taught. She was sure they would be. She had great faith in him.

“Please, join me for a cup of tea,” she requested.

He stopped in front of her, eying her like a mouse would a cat. The poor boy; he’d never trusted easily. Always assuming everything was a trick, always waiting to become the punch line of some cruel joke. Severus Snape had led a sad life.

After staring her down for a few moments, he decided there was no apparent danger. Nodding curtly, he stepped into her office. After all, Minerva had never hurt him before.

They sat together at her desk, sipping her favorite tea. On that night, neither of them spoke. Neither of them knew that night would become the beginning of a powerful friendship, which would last many years. Neither of them knew just how many late night cups of tea they would be having.

Severus drained his cup, thanked her politely and rose to leave. She let him go. There was no point in forcing conversation on Severus before he was ready for it.

Besides, she had accomplished her goal. When Severus left her office, he looked different. His hair was pushed back from his face, and he appeared more prepared to face the following day.

And in truth, he was more prepared. He felt exhilarated even. Maybe people could start to believe in him again.

A cup of tea is a small thing, but it can be the start of many big things. That night, it was the start of Severus’ career, and his friendship with Minerva McGonagall. Had it not been for that simple cup of tea, he might have never been able to make it through his first day of teaching.

Vous parlez français? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    Name: Viv
    House: Slytherin
    Title: How to Comfort A Wounded Heart
    Word Count: 486
    Character: Nymphadora Tonks and Molly Weasley
    Authors Notes: It could be a missing scene from HBP, when Harry arrives at The Burrow after his conversation with Dumbledore and meets Tonks in the kitchen...

“I don’t understand, Molly. Why is he resisting like that? I told him several times that I don’t care about his age or his unstable lifestyle.”

“It’s because he cares about you, more than you think. He doesn’t want you to get hurt,” Molly answered sympathetically.

“I’m an Auror, for Merlin’s sake! I can take care of myself perfectly! Does he think the fact he’s a werewolf scares me? I find myself in front of things far more dangerous than that every day!”

Molly sighed. For a second, Tonks felt guilty, and looked down at her hands. She knew she was being a pain since the moment she had stepped into her kitchen. But she needed to let it all out. She had waited for what seemed like a lifetime before admitting her feelings to Remus, and now he was pushing her away. What good was she gaining from being honest and true to her heart’s desires? Absolutely none.

She sloppily put her arms on the table and rested her forehead on them. “I’m just a pathetic idiot.”

“No, you’re not. You’re just in love. You’ve got every right to be angry at the situation.” Molly patted her on the head. “But you have to respect how Remus is feeling too.”

The young witch preferred not to reply. Molly stayed silent too.

“Tea, perhaps?” Molly proposed after a minute.

Tonks gave her a stern look. How could tea be of comfort when her heart was ready to crumble into ashes at any minute? However, Molly did not wait for her answer before walking to the sink and pouring some water in the kettle.

“I think something a little stronger would fit better for the circumstances. Maybe it’ll knock me out and make me forget about him.”

“And what benefit will you gain from this temporary memory loss? All it’ll do is make you feel worse than what you were experiencing before,” Molly replied, setting out two cups on the counter.

“At least, I’ll be able to think about nothing for a while... and besides, what do you know about heartache? You’ve been with Arthur all your life!”

Right after the words had escaped her mouth, she wanted to take them back. Molly was trying to help. She did not deserve to be attacked. “I’m sorry, Molly. I didn’t mean that,” she said sheepishly.

But Molly did not seem to feel affronted at all. She shrugged and put a tea cup in front of Tonks.

“Believe me, my dear. I’ve seen more than you think. You’ve still got much to learn about life. It isn’t always made of fairytales and happy endings.”

Tonks shuddered. “You remind me of my mum. She used to say that to me when I was younger.”

“Well, your mother is certainly a wise woman!” Molly simply stated, before sitting by her side. She held out a white porcelain pot to Tonks, “Sugar?”

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Name: mudbloodproud/Terri
    House:Hufflepuff
    Title: Morning Tea with Sirius
    Warnings: mention of drinking
    Word Count: 500
    Character: Lily Potter and Sirius Black
    Authors Notes: none

Lily sat quietly enjoying her first cup of tea of the morning. Harry was still asleep as was his daddy. She enjoyed this time just after the sun rose and she got to be alone with her thoughts. Or at least she was until…

The soft knock on the door startled her. She jumped up drawing her wand at the same time. Turning to the door, she cautiously peeked out to see who was there this early. Shaking her head, she pulled the door open to a weary looking Sirius Black.

“Sirius, what are you doing here at this time of the morning?” she asked quietly as she led him over to the table by the arm. He looked ready to drop.

“Late night mission,” he replied. He tried to focus his eyes on Lily, but he was having a hard time seeing straight. He had hoped James would be the one answering the door, but in all honesty, he couldn’t complain about it being Lily.

Lily set a cup of tea in front of him and urged him to drink. “Want to talk about it?” she asked.

“No…yeah…I don’t know,” Sirius said shaking his head. Did he really want to tell her how close he came to being killed only a few hours ago? Part of him did as he knew she would make him feel better, but part of him longed to talk to James, to hear his capability as a wizard being brought into question.

“Sirius, tell me what happened,” Lily urged. She knew he needed to talk and though she was sure he would prefer James and his teasing ways, she felt this was too serious and he needed the voice of reason and understanding.

“I was checking out a lead on Voldemort’s whereabouts, when I stumbled into a bunch of Death Eaters,” Sirius said. At Lily’s scared look, he reached across the table to take her hand.

“They didn’t realise who I was…at first. It didn’t take long for them to realise I was Bellatrix’s cousin. Godric, there were ten of them and I was alone,” he said.

Lily got up and going to the cabinet grabbed the bottle of Firewhisky. Pouring a generous amount into his cup of tea, she smiled.

“Mum always told me tea was good for whatever ails you. Whether you are cold or hot, thirsty or tired, it cures everything. But in this case, I think a bit of added medicine is called for.”

Sirius took a deep drink of the tea. Sighing, he gently set the cup back down. He looked at his best friend’s wife and smiled.

“Lily, have I ever told you how much I love you?” he asked.

“Don’t let James hear you, especially not in the condition you are in. You wouldn’t stand a chance,” she said laughter in her voice.

“So, do you want to hear how the almighty Sirius Black escaped ten Death Eaters single-handed or not?” Sirius smiled and began his story.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Equinox Chick
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Half a spoon of sugar.
    Warnings: Mention of character death
    Word Count: 499
    Character: Nymphadora Tonks and Remus Lupin. (again)
    Authors Notes: *prays she got the third person omniscient thingie right!*

Remus helped Tonks through the front door of her flat. Still bruised from the battle at the Ministry, he couldn’t understand why she’d left St. Mungo’s so quickly. In his opinion, she could have done with another night in a hospital bed, but she’d wanted to return home.

“Thanks,” she muttered as he brought her bag in. “Do you want anything? Tea or coffee, I mean.”

“Sit down, Tonks,” he said firmly. “If you won’t stay in hospital or go to your mother’s, then you must at least put your feet up.”

She walked gingerly towards her sofa and sat down. She could hear Remus clattering around in her kitchen.

“Sorry about the mess,” she shouted as she remembered the pile of washing up in her sink.

Remus grinned. There was no mess because he’d been round earlier to tidy up. It always amused him that Tonks, who was so together as an Auror, fell apart at household tasks.

“Here you go,” he said five minutes later as he handed her a cup of tea.

She sipped it and smiled. Outside of her family, only Remus knew how she liked her tea – a generous splash of milk and half a spoon of sugar. She could feel its sweet warmth start to revive her.

“Ta,” she said, sighing, “You’re better than Molly. She always adds too much sugar. I swear she’s trying to fatten me up.”

He sat next to her holding his cup in both hands. “How are you feeling?” he asked tentatively.

She shrugged. “I don’t know, really. I ache a bit but nothing’s really painful.”

“I didn’t mean physically, Tonks,” he said softly. “I meant...”

She sank back into a cushion. “Yeah, I know. I’m numb, actually. I can’t seem to feel anything except...guilt.”

He looked at her and struggled to take in her words. “What, in Godric’s name, do you feel guilty about?”

“I was fighting Bellatrix, Remus. If I’d stopped her, then Sirius would still be alive and you...” She stopped suddenly.

“I, what?” he said curiously.

She sipped her tea unable to look him in the face. “You wouldn’t blame me for his death,” she mumbled.

“Merlin, Tonks!” he exclaimed. “Is that what you think?”

She nodded. Her hand was shaking and she dropped the cup on the floor where it smashed. She hadn’t cried in hospital but now found she couldn’t stop. Remus moved closer unsure exactly how to convince her that he didn’t blame her for anything; he was just glad she was alive. He set his own drink down on the table and touched her hand. Then, slowly, he gathered her in his arms and held her until her wracking sobs ceased.

“More tea?” he asked her later as he stroked her hair. She looked up at him, smiled slightly and nodded. “You could be right about Molly, you know,” he said as he headed for the kitchen. “You should see the cake she left for you in the kitchen.”
    Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Azhure
    Name: Azhure
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: The Perfect Remedy
    Warnings: AU because of the timeline, and minor DH spoilers
    Word Count: 498
    Character: Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape
    Authors Notes: This is set in Harry's sixth year, in case you can't tell.

“Please, Severus, sit down. Have some tea.” Without waiting for an answer, Albus poured some of the dark liquid into a cup. Severus looked down at the cup in disdain. It was bright yellow and had dark purple stars on it which quickly changed their colour to red, and then back to purple.

“I don’t want any tea, Dumbledore. I’m here with information, not for idle chat,” Severus said, his eyes glistening. Albus remained silent and took a sip of his tea.

“I fear the Dark Lord is on the move. He plans to attack Hogwarts, and Draco Malfoy has somehow gotten himself involved in it.” Severus looked up into Albus’ twinkling blue eyes, waiting for the man to speak. But Albus simply wrapped a hand around his cup, warming it. He knew that Severus was tense, so he wasn’t going to say anything. Just let the man do what he needed.

“Dumbledore?” Severus asked, his voice now lined with annoyance. “What do I do?”

Internally, Snape’s mind was roiling. What did Dumbledore think he was doing?

Finally, Albus leaned forward slightly and opened his mouth to speak, knowing that he should say something to the man before him.

“Have some tea,” he said quietly. “I’m sure that you will find it quite relaxing.”

“I don’t want some tea!” snarled Severus. But Dumbledore’s gaze pierced his own, and Severus found himself looking at the cup before him. The stars were still flashing from purple to red, and Severus sneered down at it. What a foul thing to own, yet it was suitable for Dumbledore. Bright, sparkling and really quite clever. And then there was the tea held inside of it. Dark, a mystery... Yes, the cup of tea was very much like Dumbledore.

While Severus had been comparing the tea to the headmaster, Dumbledore had taken another sip out of his own cup. The tea really was very refreshing. He felt his mind clearing from some of the weariness he had been feeling earlier that day. Looking down into his lap, Albus saw his other hand, the one that was blackened and dead. He had been irrational, only thinking of the fact that he held one of the Hallows in his hand, not even worrying about the danger of the possibility that it was a Horcrux. He owed his life to Severus, and a cup of tea was the least he could do. Taking another sip, Albus smiled slightly. After Severus had saved his life, he had asked for a cup of tea, knowing that it would calm him. Severus had looked at him like he was out of his mind, but had done as he was asked. The tea had definitely helped at that time, and it would help now. Albus watched as Severus finally picked up the cup and brought it to his lips.

Albus smiled again as he watched Severus’ face clear of its worry and anger.

Yes, tea was the perfect remedy for everything.

Pius
    Name: Pius
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Twins, Tea, and Trickery
    Warnings: none
    Word Count: 498
    Character: Fred and George Weasley
    Author's Notes: Please enjoy! One way that the twins could have had their magic manifest.

A lifelong legacy of pranking began with a cup of tea.

The Weasley twins had been ignoring the blather of their great aunt by quietly kicking each other under the table when their mother asked them to fetch the tea kettle that was whistling in the background. George stood up with a knowing glance to his brother. Fred returned the look with a nod, and followed.

In the kitchen, the two were bickering as loudly as possible without breaking a whisper.

“YOU were the one who was supposed to bring the ink, idiot!”

“Was not! Just shut up and look for something else, stupid! There must be some food coloring around here somewhere.”

“Idiot! That’s a muggle trick. Mum charms her cakes.”

“Boys, do you need some help?” Mrs. Weasley called.

“No, Mum.” George yelled, then jabbed Fred, “Let’s go, hurry up.”

Mrs. Weasley smiled as the two came in carrying the tea tray, purposefully ignoring the angry glances passing between them. They sat down on opposite ends of the table and continued glaring. Great Aunt and Mrs. Weasley chatted on.

In the staring match, tea cups were ignored, a fact which their mother didn’t notice until her hopelessly perfunctory conversation with her relative was losing all semblance of sense about fifteen minutes later.

“Drink your tea boys. No sense letting it go to waste.”

Sullenly, Fred took a sip. George drained the cup in one swallow, and then stuck his tongue out at his brother.

At the sight of George’s ink black tongue, Fred smiled, revealing a full grin of deep green teeth, which caused George to laugh.

“What is it, George?” Mrs. Weasley asked. George tried in vain to close his lips to hide his tongue, but Fred had started laughing too, and neither could stop.

The great aunt gasped when she saw the boys’ handiwork. Being a suspicious sort, she pulled out a handmirror to examine her own mouth and nearly fainted with indignance at the small purple letters on her front four incisors. Bidding a curt farewell to Mrs. Weasley, she left in a huff. Their mother shut the door behind her before turning on the boys.

They wriggled under her glare, but were visibly elated by their achievement, the quarrel forgotten. After all, when there was good pranking about the Weasley twins were never mad at each other long.

“Fred, George! Explain yourselves,” Mrs. Weasley demanded.

“We didn’t do anything,” Fred said, “honestly.”

“Really mum,” George added. “We were going to, but somebody forgot to bring-”

“Enough.” Mrs. Weasley looked gravely at her children. “You did absolutely nothing to this tea?”

Fred nodded. “Like George said, we were going to, but-“

Fred was cut off by his mother sweeping them into her arms. She was crying.

“Oh, boys, I’m so proud of you. I’d been worried about you for months, but that! That was magic, boys, magic! A fine first manifestation.” She laughed. “The most refreshing cup of tea I’ve had in ages!”

cirelondiel
    Name: Chelsea
    Title: A Good Cup of Tea
    Word Count: ~ 170
    Character: Molly, Charlie, Ginny, Arthur
    Authors Notes: I liked this prompt... but I hope I've done it right...
    And your avvie suits this week's prompt, Ritta

In the kitchen, Molly brews tea. She pours some into her favourite china cup and sits down with the current issue of Witch Weekly. The tea cools her as she sips.

There's nothing quite as refreshing as a good cup of tea, she thinks.

Charlie comes in, shivering slightly - it's a cool evening outside. He gets himself a cup and, wrapping it in his hands, enjoys some steaming tea.

Nothing warms you up as well as a good cup of tea, he thinks.

Ginny joins them, slumping in a chair. She adds two sugars to her tea, and manages a smile after taking a sip.

Mum's right - there's nothing like a good cup of tea to cheer you up, she thinks.

Arthur appears, home from work, and chatters about his day while he stirs milk into his cup.

And there's nothing like a cup of tea to distract Arthur from silly things like plugs, Molly thinks, as her husband cries out.

Blast, thinks Arthur, I forgot I'd brought those Nose-Biting Teacups home...

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Name: inspirations
    Title: Cheering Up
    Word Count: 187
    Character: Molly/Arthur
    Authors Notes: I just hope this is good enough If not, I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Molly snuggled into Arthur’s side. Spirals of vapour rose from the large mug of tea she was feverishly clutching, and Arthur frowned down upon her as the cup began to slip from her hands. He grabbed it before there was an accident.

‘Drink it, Molly; it’ll make you feel better.’

She shuddered, closing her eyes. Slowly, she raised the cup to her mouth, positioning her lips around the brim. The brew scolded her, and steam burst into her face, causing her to jerk away.

‘Too hot,’ she grunted.

Firmly, Arthur said, ‘Drink it, Mollywobbles.’

A dozy smile graced her face, and she shook her head. ‘No.’

‘It wasn’t your fault, love. Percy-Percy felt it was time to leave.’

A single tear squeezed from beneath her eyelids, and the smile vanished. A lump formed in Arthur’s throat. ‘P-please, Molly - I hate seeing you like this.’

Relenting, she took a large gulp. It scorched her tongue, and she grimaced, sighing deeply.

‘That’s better, isn’t it, Mollywobbles.’

‘Maybe,’ she whispered, resting her head on her husband’s shoulder. ‘I hope he comes back soon.’

Arthur stroked her arm. ‘Me too.’

celipsis
    Name: celipsis
    Title: That Which Makes Us Stronger
    Warnings: Mental Disorders
    Word Count: 494
    Character: Augusta and Frank and Alice Longbottom
    Authors Notes: I hope it isn't to late to post this. If it is I'm sorry, and you can just disregard it.

At the suggestion of the Healer, Mrs. Longbottom had made her way up to the St. Mungo's lounge with her son and his wife. It would do Frank and Alice some good, the Healer had hoped, to get out of their plain room. Augusta seated herself on a wooden chair, and a Trainee Healer pulled up two armchairs for Frank and Alice before leaving the room. No sooner had the Longbottoms sat down than three cups of tea appeared on the table before them, but Mrs. Longbottom didn't take one.

There was only silence. Augusta supposed she ought to say something -- ridiculous social pressures -- but couldn't think of what. What did you say to people who were essentially dead?

Augusta reached out to take a cup of tea merely because she needed something to do.

"You know," said Augusta, "this reminds me of the last time I made tea, last Wednesday. But when I was sitting down to drink it, I heard a crash from upstairs. I ran up to check because I -- I'd left Neville up there in his crib." She gave a humourless chuckle. "I went into his room praying that he was all right, and he was just lying there against the bars of his crib, which had somehow tipped over."

"But Neville was just looking at me so -- so calmly that I was amazed. He didn't cry at all. He'll be a strong boy, that Neville will. You can count on that."

Augusta paused and took a sip of tea to moisten her suddenly dry throat.

"He got that from you two, you know. The strength, I mean." Her voice grew a little bolder. "You may not be there to really see it, but he's going to make it in this world -- he's going to survive. No," she corrected herself, shaking her head. "He's not just going to survive. He's going to live.

"You'd be proud of your little boy." Augusta took a shaky breath, trying to dispel the raw emotion building inside her. "God knows I'm proud of mine, of my strong son. And his lovely, brave wife."

Mrs. Longbottom bent her head, clutching her cup of tea so hard that her knuckles turned white. Slowly, slowly, her tears began to fall, sliding off her chin. And when her tears were exhausted, she slowly drank her tea.

Her face was streaked with salty trails and her eyes were red and blotchy, but Augusta drank every last drop. With each swallow, the hitch in her breathing became less noticeable and her racing heartbeat was calmed. She felt as though she were drinking her very sorrow. The sorrow wouldn't consume her; it would make her stronger, and it would energise her to carry on. And as Augusta sucked down the last drop of tea, she felt a fierce pride burning deeply within her. Yes, everything would eventually be all right. She smiled faintly to herself. Yes.