Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - Theme: Music - Part Deux - Results

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - Theme: Music - Part Deux - Results

Considering the last time I assigned a "music" challenge - I didn't judge it until centuries later, I'm going to tentatively try it again but limit you guys this round.

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

Your prompt this week is to listen to one of the two songs below and write a drabble about it.

Songs:
    Choice 1 --- This Modern Love by Bloc Party
    Choice 2 --- Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland

I'm not posting links like last time - I'm sure you're all capable of finding them somewhere. However, if you can't find either one, I'll be more than happy to send you a link. Once again, there's no restrictions on characters, pairings, etc. BUT you must use one of the two songs above only.

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -
    PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Author's Note:[/B] 
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.

All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (November 23th).

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner #4 - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

Not So New Anymore for the Weekly Challenges:
    Due to a major lack of quality drabbles being submitted to the weeklies, Gato Loco will require that some real thoughtful, original submissions be posted from this moment on or you'll end up like this woman here. That's your one and only warning! XD

Other than that...have fun!

~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Name: Ayra/Ginervapotter213
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Blue Skies
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 491 (phew!)
    Authors Note: If you can't tell by the title I chose Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland. I hope this is okay.

He’s gone.

You walk through the Muggle part of London in the pouring rain, not caring where you are and not caring where you’re going. Not caring about why you are there, or what others think. Their voices just blend together, they all sound the same. All you want is to get away from everyone you know, everything magic, you just want to get away and not be judged or feel the pity of others. Especially those that attempt to console you.

He’s gone.

They try to help, but they never can. They don’t understand, they can’t understand. They didn’t know him like you did. Their words are hollow, they don’t mean anything. “I’m sorry; I know you must feel terrible.”

He’s gone.

They don’t know how you feel, they never will.

He’s gone.

No, you won’t dell on that. You see a store with boxes that show pictures and you walk in. Employees walk up to you and ask if you need help. You decline. At least they listen when you say that you don’t need help.

He’s gone.

In an attempt to drown out the voice in your head you turn to the nearest picture-box. There’s a girl with her hair in pigtails and in a blue and white checkered dress surrounded by a lion, a metal man and a scarecrow singing a song. Curious, you listen in.

“Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high,
    There’s a land that I’ve heard of once in a lullaby.”

For whatever reason, you find that her words put you at ease.

He’s still gone.

But maybe he’s in a better place. He’s over the rainbow.

“Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly,
    Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh why can’t I?”

Why can’t you see him again? You will, you are sure of that now. It’s just not your time yet.

Everyone’s crying in the box now, but you feel better.

You walk back to Diagon Alley now, thanking the girl in the box for her song. As you walk through the archway behind the Leaky Cauldron you walk into George Weasley.

“Angelina?” he asks, eyeing you skeptically. He doesn’t want you to break down on him.

“Hi George,” you smile. You can tell from the look on his face that your smile isn’t quite right, but, then again, you didn’t expect it to be.

“Are you alright now?” he asks, his arms slightly outstretched, like he was ready to catch you.

Are you? you ask yourself. Then the girl’s song sings in your head. You appreciate that he’s there to catch you, but you can stand on your own now.

“Thanks, I’m fine.” You look up and see that the rainclouds have cleared and the sky was the perfect shade of blue. You smile to yourself. He wants you to be happy.

Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue,
    And dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.
    -Ayra

iDrabble iWrite

Lovely banner by Riham (padfoot_returns)
    Avvie by Samarie (Love_is_4ever)

That which cannot break you will only make you stronger.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Equinox Chick
    House: The wondeful Hufflepuff
    Title: The moment to discuss it.
    Word Count: 477
    Authors Note: The title refers to a scene in HBP when Tonks has just declared her love for Remus and everyone's ganging up on him. He says, "This is ... not the moment to discuss it."

I hope I've done this right as I wasn't sure I should have included the song lyrics. I've chosen This Modern Love by Bloc Party.

As Harry left the ward with Professor McGonagall, Remus became acutely aware that people were staring at him and Tonks.

“When will be the right time to discuss it?” demanded Tonks. “Tomorrow? Next month? Next year? Or perhaps you’d rather wait until Bellatrix has finished me off!” Her eyes flashed angrily. Remus flinched as if he’d been hexed.

‘This modern love breaks me.
    This modern love wastes me.’

He grabbed her hand and, without saying a word, pulled her outside the ward not stopping until he found an empty classroom.

“Okay,” he said wearily, “let’s discuss it now.” He sat down on a bench and gestured for her to sit next to him. After a while he took one of her hands. “You want something I can’t give you, Tonks,” he began.

“How do you know what I want?” she asked sadly.

“Look at me, Dora,” he said softly. “I’m not good enough.”

‘... you’ve got to be more discerning.’

“You deserve so much more,” he whispered. His voice felt like a sweet caress and she closed her eyes trying to etch it into her memory in case he left. She started; she wasn’t giving in that easily.

“You are good enough, Remus,” she said determinedly. “You just don’t see yourself the way I do?”

“You need a normal life, with a normal...” he intoned.

Her bitter laugh interrupted his oft repeated speech.

“Shut up!” she said angrily. “How dare you talk to me about normal. Refusing to accept you’re loved – that’s not normal.”

‘What are you holding out for?
    What’s always in the way?’

He stopped breathing as she moved closer to him.

“Do you know why I love you, Remus?” she whispered.

He shook his head terrified that her answer would mention pity.

“You’re strong,” she said edging closer. “You think the wolf inside controls you - but it doesn't - you control it.”

He looked at her blankly; her dark eyes were shining.

‘To be lost in the forest.’

“You’ve never once given in, have you? All this year you’ve been living with them, yet you never joined them on a killing spree, did you?”

‘To be cut adrift.’

He shook his head wondering what she was going to say next.

“Why was that, Remus?” she said mesmerizingly. “You could have given in. Why did you always confine yourself?”

‘You’ve been trying to reach me.’

He gasped at the realisation. “Because of you,” he admitted quietly. “I kept seeing your face and that kept me sane.”

She stayed where she was, smiling slightly as he moved towards her. He cupped her face and began to kiss her, tenderly. She responded fervently and a wave of pink rippled through her hair. Soon they were lost to everything except each other.

‘You told me you wanted to eat up my sadness
    Well jump on, enjoy, you can gorge away.’

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Name: mudbloodproud/ Terri
    House:Hufflepuff
    Title: A Memory of a Lullaby
    Warnings: none
    Word Count: 486 which includes the 99 for the lyrics
    Authors Note: I know this is not 100% canon as to the scene in the tent. But, it is close enough. I had to work it this way to make the drabble work.

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
    There's a land that I heard of, once in a lullaby

A half-formed song echoed in his mind. Something he had heard as a child, a song sung to him by a mother he could barely remember. Rolling over, he pulled the pillow over his head in an effort to block out the sound.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
    And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

Groaning, he rolled over and opened his eyes. It was still dark in the tent, and the wind was still howling through the trees under which they were camped. He looked towards the doorway and saw Hermione slumped in sleep. Rising he went over to her and gently shook her awake.

“Hermione, go to bed. I’ll keep watch the rest of the night,” he said to her.

Nodding, she stood and handed him her wand before going over and climbing into her bed. He watched as she curled up into a small ball under the covers. He settled down and let his mind wander.

Someday I'll wish upon a star, and wake up where the clouds are far behind me
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops

He shook his head. Thinking about candy reminded him of Dumbledore. Dumbledore who by lack of admissions had lied to him. If only he had told me, he thought. No, it wouldn’t have mattered now. Too many things have gone wrong.

Ron was gone, they had no idea where to go next, and his wand, his one sure weapon was broken. It didn’t matter now how many secrets Dumbledore kept. He was beginning to believe his mission would fail.

That's where you'll find me
    Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly

The song continued to play in his head. Was there some meaning to it? Was there a reason this song came to him now? Shaking his head, he smiled at the thought of bluebirds and rainbows being the answer to his quest for the Horcruxes.

Didn’t bluebirds mean happiness? Did this mean he would eventually succeed and then find happiness? he wondered. He searched his memory for the last bit of the song.

Birds fly over the rainbow, why then, oh why can't I
    If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

He knew the answer to this question. He could not find happiness until he destroyed all of the Horcruxes and killed Voldemort. Only then could he find the happiness he sought.

He thought about Ginny as he drifted in and out of sleep. Forcing his eyes open, he looked around at the total darkness surrounding the tent. It was in that moment, he saw the bright silver glow coming towards him through the trees.

Forgetting the song in his head, he rushed to follow it.

Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls

Name: Quercus
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Why can't I?
    Warnings: none
    word count: 499
    Author's note: My usage of the song is not quite as evident as in the previous entries, but I hope the connection is still visible.

Petunia Evans watched her sister and her mother leave the house, led by a woman who looked like someone’s grandmother in fancy dress, with a pointed hat and long black cloak. As they headed toward the car in which the old woman had arrived, Petunia waited for the three to get on broomsticks and fly away, or to disappear in a flash of smoke. To her great disappointment, the driver merely opened the doors, the three got in, and the vehicle rolled down the street.

Petunia slipped out the back door and into her father’s shop. Shaking her head at the mess of unfinished projects, she rummaged around until she found a utility knife, sandpaper, and a tin of shoe polish. Petunia looked around surreptitiously; she was too old to be playing make-believe. Hiding her supplies in her pocket, she walked to the wood.

She spent hours searching for the right branch, cutting several and discarding all but the straightest. She sat beneath a tree and started carving, whittling away the bark, cutting a smooth handle until her soft hands were red. She sanded until the wood shone, and then, with only the slightest cringe, plunged her fingers into the polish and rubbed life into her new wand.

Looking at her work with pride, Petunia suddenly heard the hum of a car and rushed to put her father’s things away and shake the sawdust out of her clothes before greeting her mother and sister. She slipped the wand into her sleeve and ran into the house.

“Petunia!” Lily called. “Come look at all this!”

She held out a small black cauldron, and a small case that could only contain one thing…

Petunia reached without thinking, and the wand fell out of her sleeve and onto the floor. She blushed, but Lily had already seen.

“Oh, did you make that, ‘Tunia? Let me see.” Petunia offered the stick reluctantly.

“It’s beautiful!” Lily said. “Much nicer than mine. See?” Lily opened the case. Her wand was small and plain next to Petunia’s. Lily waved the two around. “Really, I’m jealous, ‘Tunia… oh!” The smaller wand emitted a green spark, which landed on Petunia’s dress and left a small scorch mark.

“Oh, Petunia, I’m so sorry! Here, this will make up for it.” Rummaging through her bag, Lily brought out a chocolate frog wrapped in foil, which hopped up and down on her palm. Petunia’s eyes were wide as she took the sweet. As her fingers wrapped around the frog, she got ready to restrain it if it tried to jump away, but as soon as it left Lily’s hand, it became still and lifeless.

“What’s wrong…” Lily wondered aloud.

Petunia interrupted. “It’s okay. Thank you, Lily.” Looking herself over, she smiled. “I’m going to change, and we can talk over dinner, okay?”

Closing the door to her room, Petunia set the frog gingerly on her dresser. Looking into its dead eyes, she took her equally dead wand and skewered it.

the original is much longer, and I'm afraid it's lost a little in the cutting, but oh well. the full version will be up in my drabble thread

Azhure
    Name: Azhure
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Her Colourless World
    Word count: 454 - I know! I didn't have to cut ANYTHING out! First time in... ever... that I can remember.
    Author's note: I don't know what's with me and writing Merope, but I have seemed to be doing it a lot lately...

Also, if you can't tell, the song I used was Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland.

Her home was dark, even at midday the shadows were long and looming, filling the house with a chill that seeped under Merope’s skin. She shivered, wrapping herself up in her shawl. A deep sense of despair washed over her, and she looked down at the tattered rug at her feet. It had holes in it, and was ripped at the edges. The once bright red of the rug was now stained almost grey. The walls of her home were also grey, shadowed by the low ceiling which held cracks that spanned right across the room. In the corner sat an armchair, its occupant fast asleep, his greasy hair sticking up all over the place. In her mind’s eye, Merope could see the lice hopping about in her brother’s hair. Their grey little bodies feeding on his blood.

Reaching up, she scratched her own head. Her pale blonde hair was clean, but she always got infected with the lice, even more often than her brother and father. It seemed that the bloodsuckers preferred clean hair. Not that Merope would ever let her hair get too dirty. It seemed that the only freedom that she got was when she walked down to the little stream behind the house to bathe. Her brother and father daren’t follow her there.

When she bathed, Merope had a view of Little Hangleton, the closest town. It was always bustling with activity and colour. Beautiful women dressed in clothes made of the finest materials around, men standing tall as they went about their business, children running around without a care in the world. It always filled her with a great longing to be one of those lovely women of the town. She would be able to wander around all day, talk with her friends, be complimented on by the young men. Oh, and to have a child of her own. Someone she could look after and love, someone that would love her back unconditionally.

She would do anything to have a child.

Looking around her home, Merope felt a great urge to leave her family and escape into the town. But she couldn’t, just couldn’t. This was her family that she was talking about. She couldn’t just leave them one day without a word. And surely they would track her down. They would have no problem storming down into town to steal her back.

Yet one day she knew that she would be free of them. And when that day came she would not linger in this hovel one moment longer. She would escape, find the man of her dreams and settle down.

Yes, one day she would be free, and the colours of the world would come rushing back.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    First Place:
    Why can't I? by Quercus of Ravenclaw
    Quercus took the song Over the Rainbow and its basic meaning of fond wishing and wrote quite an interesting and desolate drabble in Petunia's wishing to be a witch like Lily.

Second Place: - Tie
    A Memory of a Lullaby by mudbloodproud of Hufflepuff & The moment to discuss it by Equinox Chick of Hufflepuff
    These two Puffs tied for second place because they both took canon moments and integrated the lyrics flawlessly into their respective drabbles. I was quite impressed by the fact that both drabbles follow canon rather closely.

Third Place:
    Her Colourless World by Azhure of Ravenclaw
    Again, another interesting drabble in which the song meaning was taken and given a new context.

ETA: Points posted

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!