Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Severus Snape

Amber0_o
    Quote Originally Posted by bertiebott12
    First of all, do you think he killed anyone before HBP? Would it seem out of character for a young Severus Snape to refuse to kill someone?

My second question is when do you think Snape learned Occlumency? I think he had to be relatively powerful Occulemns by the time he turned spy for Dumbledore. How long did it take him to develop his skills?

My last question is how powerful do you think Snape truly is? If someone he cared about were injured or killed, would it seem out of character for Snape to be violently and powerfully upset?
    1. I don't think he did. We know from Bellatrix that he is always trying to get out of doing 'real Death Eater stuff'. Since she has only been out of Azkaban for a year now, so one could assume she was referring to Voldemort's first rein of terror.

2. I think the fact that Severus constantly supressed his emotions made him a perfect candidate for Occlumacy. I think he may have been doing it naturally before Dumbledore taught him that it was a branch of magic and he perfected it.

3.I think the Lighting Struck Tower tells us perfectly, Severus was very emotional after he killed Dumbledore. So much so that I fear for his saftey, unless he can get those emotions under control before meeting up with Voldemort.

Anyway, it is interesting to note that Severus doesn't get emotional until Harry calls him a coward for killing Dumbledore, so I think that yes, he would get overly emotional if someone he knew was killed.

SiriuslyMental
    This is going to sound a bit odd, but does Snape seem the like to type to have ever been interested in the Beatles? The way I've got it now is that his mother, before she became depressed after loosing her second child, used to sing along to them on the Muggle radio (his father would not tolerate magic in the house, so for the first nine years of Sev's life he was completely oblivious to the fact that she was a witch). So basically he links their music in his head with happier times in his life, and was a fan as a boy, though he grew out of them almost entirely around the time he turned 17.

Vorona
    I think this is the sort of thing that if you show it in your story, it will work. I know a lot of people think he'd be into punk and I know that I see him as enjoying cello music, so there's a lot of leeway in that. I think if you show the connection between him and his mother and his mother and the Beatles, it should work just fine.

Great beirniny
    First of all, do you think he killed anyone before HBP? Would it seem out of character for a young Severus Snape to refuse to kill someone?
    Yes, he was a Deatheater. He might not of killed someone in cold blood before, but he could easily be responsible for other people's death.

My second question is when do you think Snape learned Occlumency? I think he had to be relatively powerful Occulemns by the time he turned spy for Dumbledore. How long did it take him to develop his skills?
    I imagine as one of Voldemort's top supporters he could have learned it from another deatheater. Well, surrounded by traitorous deatheaters is good motivation to get your mind blocked.

My last question is how powerful do you think Snape truly is? If someone he cared about were injured or killed, would it seem out of character for Snape to be violently and powerfully upset?
    I don't think that it would be OOC. When Harry sees the memory in the pensive Snape becomes violent. Why couldn't he be even more violent when someone he cares about dies.

SiriuslyMental
    I personally think that he definitely killed before HBP. It seems unrealistic that he wouldn't have, beeing a Death Eater and everything. And he desn't exactly strike me as the type who would mourn over the lives of muggles that he had never met before. Maybe he killed his parents like Voldemort did.

I agree with you that he had learnt it during his time as a Death Eater. He may have been aware that Occlumency existed before that, but I doubt he really became the Occlumens he was until after school, as a Death Eater. He might have been trained by both Dumbledore and a Death Eater, to protect him from each side.

I can't imagine many people that Snape is fond enough for him to be upset that they'd died, but if you can pull that one off, yes I'd think he'd be violent. He doesn't seem like the type who handles his emotions particularly well. He thinks he does, and is quite proud of himself for bottling everything up, but then something big happens and completely loses it. Especially anger. He's such an angry character, and by the looks of it, not opposed to violence.

cmwinters
    First of all, do you think he killed anyone before HBP?
    Yes.

Would it seem out of character for a young Severus Snape to refuse to kill someone?
    Not so much "out of character" that if he had refused he'd be dead. Obviously, he didn't do that.

Let's also not forget that he invented a spell that makes someone bleed to death, and that he can brew poisons.

My second question is when do you think Snape learned Occlumency?
    He's somewhat a natural to begin with, but I suspect it began sometime around his fifth or sixth year at Hogwarts and I think Dumbledore taught him.

How long did it take him to develop his skills?
    Probably not long. He seems to understand it on a gut level and while trying to teach Harry, who doesn't understand it at all, he gets incredibly frustrated.

Do you think that Snape loved his parents when he was about sixteen?
    Yes.

Do you think he would love his mother more than his father?
    Most kids do, so probably.

If his mother sent him a letter and told him that she was very ill and going to die, would he cry?
    Not in public, at least not if it was after his third year at Hogwarts or so. Before that, perhaps.

Would he feel sad at all?
    Yep.

My last question is how powerful do you think Snape truly is?
    I think he's probably on par with Dumbledore and the Dark Lord.

If someone he cared about were injured or killed, would it seem out of character for Snape to be violently and powerfully upset?
    Not in the least.

SlytherinTears
    (in reference to my slightly AU story, pre-Harry Potter series)

To save his family from poverty/losing their (remember, a tad AU) fortune, would he agree to an arranged marriage with an old school friend who he hasn't seen in almost 10 years?

cmwinters
    Possibly. He seems very traditional, and very ensconced in the old wizarding traditions. Arranged marriages did probably occur in the Wizarding World at some point.

It might depend, though. I mean, I don't think he'd marry a Muggleborn—not because of any particular prejudice of his [which other than his membership in the Death Eaters, (which I think is purely for him to avenge the death of his mother anyway but that's another story). And depending on how it would affect his standing within the Death Eater ranks, he might not marry a half-blood.

I think his priority, first and foremost, is to bring down the Dark Lord, and marrying someone just gives the Death Eaters and Dark Lord a weapon to use against him and I don't think he'd deliberately do something to jeopardise an otherwise innocent group of people.

It's one of the reasons I don't think Snape is married and I don't think he has any children. I also don't think he's ever had a steady relationship, because he wouldn't want to expose a weakness.

SlytherinTears
    Well, in my story, he is going to marry Lucius Malfoy's younger sister, a Pureblood.

cmwinters
    That would most likely be a safe move, for so long as Lucius stays in the Dark Lord's favour. However, if he is NOT loyal to the Dark Lord, there is absolutely no way he'd be able to let her know this, which could possibly make their home life very tense.

Then you have the problem of her most likely knowing that Severus is a half-blood. Even if he doesn't tell her in the beginning she's going to ask about his parents, grandparents, etc. Normal questions for a wife to ask her husband. She may not be at all comfortable with that.

Further, any children they have could become targets as well, so he might be hesitant to have children with her, and that could cause a marital feud as well. You MAY be able to handle this by having him say "I'm spying on the Order for the Dark Lord and that puts me at risk for the Order coming after me and I won't do that to you and the child", but eventually people are going to get suspicious.