Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Severus Snape

thegirllikeme
    Alright, I'm writing a story where Snape has a daughter and I had a question. We all probably can guess that the job of being a father can be stressful -- even when only three people (the girl, him, and Dumbledore) actually knows she's his daughter. He wasn't there for most her life, but now that he does he wants to have some form of a relationship--fulfill his duty, that sort of thing. They have an awkward relationship, but I'm planning on making Snape slowing getting the feelings of protectiveness that a father usually has (only of course he would hide it as best as possible). And, I'll say it again, having those feelings can be stressful, even to Severus Snape, especially when a father's worst fear comes true. His daughter starts getting into a relationship with a boy (the HORROR). Of course, since Snape doesn't believe he can ever be a good father, he's a bit confused of how to act. Do you think he'd ever get stressed enough to go to Dumbledore as a sort of mentor to ask for advise or to spill out his frustrations? Or do you think he'd simply stay out of it and watch from afar, letting all his frustrations build up inside?

Amber0_o
    I can see Dumbledore coming to Snape to try and get him to talk to him, but I can't see Snape going to Dumbledore. However, if Dumbledore came to Snape I can see Severus accidentaly letting his frustration slip, but being upset by that slip.

But if it was completly up to him I think he'd keep to himself rather than letting other people in on his fears and frustrations.

Ashley
    I'm writing a post-war H/Hr angst story in which Snape *might* make an appearance as Hermione's secret affair while she deals with Ron's death, a crumbling marriage, etc. etc. Now my questions are:

A) Would Snape ever work at the Ministry? (Provided he got an ideal job possibly in the Auror department where he could use his knowledge of the Dark Arts...)

B) Would Snape even have an affair with Hermione, knowing it's illicit and that she's been tainted by the son of his enemy?

Thanks for the help!
    Ashley

meryal
    A) Would Snape ever work at the Ministry? (Provided he got an ideal job possibly in the Auror department where he could use his knowledge of the Dark Arts...)
    Snape is the type of person that will benifit himself. As an Auror, he would have to work together with lots of different people. Also if he went on a mission as part of a team, he would have to work together in dangerous situation and be able to trust someone else. Also, after murdering Dumbledore, it would be hard to convince the ministry, and anyone who worked with him to trust him. It really doesn't seem likely that Snape would want to work at the ministry, but if you have a plot line, where it would Snape would benifit from working there, it could be plasible.

B) Would Snape even have an affair with Hermione, knowing it's illicit and that she's been tainted by the son of his enemy?
    Well, as for her being tainted, for him it might be because she's tainted, which would cause problems for her friends. Though why does he want to have an affair with Hermione in the first place? Does he like her, or is he just using her for some reason? Also why would Hermione go to Snape?

Ashley
    Also, after murdering Dumbledore, it would be hard to convince the ministry, and anyone who worked with him to trust him. It really doesn't seem likely that Snape would want to work at the ministry
    I definitely see your point here. I'm not really willing to write a whole backstory about how Snape regains the Ministry's trust and him dealing with working closely with other people.

Though why does he want to have an affair with Hermione in the first place? Does he like her, or is he just using her for some reason? Also why would Hermione go to Snape?
    Snape is in love with Hermione, or at least cares for her deeply. Hermione is suffering the loss of her true love, Ron, and deceived herself into thinking a marriage with Harry would work since he's "the next best thing to Ron." Obviously it doesn't work out between the two, and managing that kind of relationship along with a blended family is emotionally straining for her. She and Snape come to have a mutual affection for each other, and Hermione enjoys having that kind of company from a person who isn't directly related to her complicated love life.

You've been a great help! I think I have a better idea of how to handle this situation now.

Ashley

Vorona
    Ah, more Snape questions!

I could see Snape working at the Ministry, but I see him more as an Unspeakable than an Auror. I also think that despite all his comments about DADA, he actually really loves Potions, so there might be something in that field connected to the Ministry... Hmm... Though I can't really see him being involved in something that would test potions, and I'm not sure what else the Ministry would do with them.

As for Hermione...

Well, it depends. First, does he have to know she's married? I suppose he would -- Harry's wedding is probably going to be broadcast across the entire country, so unless he had his head in the sand, he's going to know. The only way he wouldn't is if he's in Azkaban, and though I love Snape in Azkaban, I'm not sure it fits in at all with your story -- plus, he'd have to get out somehow, too.

So, assuming he knows she's married, he could do it out of spite for Harry at first and then realize his feelings. Or, he doesn't have any moral objections to it at all, and thus actively *encourages* her, perhaps hoping to become an actual addiction for her, forcing her to ruin and leave her relationship entirely. That would give you more angst. That is, he deliberately seduces her... I could see that working, especially if he thinks he'd be better for her.I don't think he'd feel that she was "tainted" though. I think he'd think she had been stupid to have gotten married to him, but I don't think that he'd feel she was less of a person just because she'd been with Harry.

Hope that helps!

Ashley
    You're fabulous, Vorona. Absolutely fabulous! You have such wonderful ideas... I think I can really make this work now.

I might be able to make something work with the Ministry and if not, I'll have them meet elsewhere. And I see exactly what you mean about his seducing Hermione to further complicate her life. This will be totally great and definitely will add to the angst!

~Ashley

Amber0_o
    Though I can't really see him being involved in something that would test potions, and I'm not sure what else the Ministry would do with them.
    You could always have him work at St. Mungos, producing medical potions. (i.e. the bone regrowth potion Harry had when Lockhart removed all his bones.)

Ashley
    You could always have him work at St. Mungos, producing medical potions.
    Interesting... I'd never thought of that. It's a definite possibility if I can somehow work it in.
    Thanks for the input, Amber!

Ashley

bertiebott12

These are just some of my input from early questions.Do you think that Snape loved his parents when he was about sixteen? Do you think he would love his mother more than his father? If his mother sent him a letter and told him that she was very ill and going to die, would he cry? Would he feel sad at all? I think that he wouldnít have loved them by the time he was 16. That was the year when there was the incident with the prank Whomping Willow. That seems to still effect him today, so it must have been a big deal, correct? Then that mood for that yr. Might effect his feelings toward his parents. It didnít seem like he was living a very happy life at that time period. I think that he would prefer his mother. Snape feels like he feels more comfortable with women at that age(Lily) than men, plus, his father was the abuser.

I think that he would cry, but try to conceal it. Heís not the type of guy that would show his feelings. He would keep them bundled up inside. I think he would feel very sad, but, as I said, not show it.

First of all, do you think he killed anyone before HBP? Would it seem out of character for a young Severus Snape to refuse to kill someone?

My second question is when do you think Snape learned Occlumency? I think he had to be relatively powerful Occulemns by the time he turned spy for Dumbledore. How long did it take him to develop his skills?

My last question is how powerful do you think Snape truly is? If someone he cared about were injured or killed, would it seem out of character for Snape to be violently and powerfully upset?

1) What a great question, Gina! I do think that heíd killed someone before that. Remember, he wasnít always good, was he? I think that before he turned to the good side, he was like any of the other Death Eaters, killing and torturing.
    2) I think that Dumbledore taught it to him so about the fall/winter of 1789 or the spring of 1980, maybe a bit later. Who else would have taught it to him? Letís look at the people who seem to know it. Voldie, Dumbledore, and Belletrix are the only ones. Now, I doubt that Voldie would have taught him because he wanted to be the most powerful. The only reason I can think that he might have would have been that when he went to spy on the prophecy reading, Dumbledore might have used it on him, and he needed to protect his mind. Bellatrix didnít. She just flat out didnít. I donít think that it took him that long, maybe a month or two. He was very intelligent.
    3) I think that he is very powerful, and people donít respect him enough. I think that, if he wanted, he could take the place of Dumbledore for Harry. Great questions Gina!!!1