Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Severus Snape

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermoine Jean Granger
    1. Do you think he was an introvert??
    Absolutely. Completely.

2. What do you think was his first reaction when he was asked to become a spy? Do you think he agreed to it very willingly or because he had promised Dumbledore that he'd do anything in exchange for Lily's protection?
    I think that since the Dark Lord had told him to go to Hogwarts to spy on Dumbledore, he thought it was a capital idea to be a double agent to ensure Lily's protection.

3. Do you think he was willing to teach students at Hogwarts or do you think accepted the job just for the sake of his protection?
    I think he took the position because he was ordered to do so.

Although Snape seems to hate children and despise teaching a lot of the time, I think he probably actually liked his Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff classes (the former being smart enough to grasp the material, and the latter being hard-working enough to study it until they got it). I think he probably liked his sixth and seventh year classes, which is probably a large part of why he went so far out of his way to eliminate "unworthy" students from his NEWT level classes. Remember, he'd only take students who scored an E or an O on their Potions OWL; Slughorn took anyone who passed, though.

Now, I think this is important if you're writing Snape teaching students like Bill Weasley (who got OWLs in all twelve subjects), Nymphadora Tonks (who had to have passed Potions NEWT to become an Auror), Cedric Diggory, Cho Chang or Percy Weasley (also Head Boy).

Rhi for HP
    Remember, he'd only take students who scored an E or an O on their Potions OWL; Slughorn took anyone who passed, though.
    Sorry, just a quick thing. Actually, Snape only took students who got O's ('Career Advice', OotP)--Harry got an 'E' on his OWL and thought he wouldn't be able to take NEWT Potions since he didn't know Slughorn was going to be teaching. We don't know who Slughorn would accept--in book 6 all McGonagall says is on the matter (from memory): 'Professor Slughorn is perfectly happy to accept an E.'

leahsm2
    Given Snape's propensity to favour Slytherins, what sort of behavior would warrant point taking or detentions. I was thinking disrespectful behavior, but as Head of the House he might choose more expedient means that wouldn't be so public as the normal Hogwarts' punishments. I guess my question is, do you think he would ever take points from his own House or publicly order detentions of them?

MissyQuill
    Hmm... I think that would rather depend on who "the public" consisted of. I mean, he would have no problem humiliating Draco in the Slytherine common room but would be slighly more reluctant to do it in the Great Hall. As far taking points, I don't think so. He would punish his own house students in other ways... No point hurting the whole of Slytherin house because of one student's misbehavior.

Hope that helps, Leah.=Sammy

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by leahsm2
    I guess my question is, do you think he would ever take points from his own House or publicly order detentions of them?
    No, he would give them dention but not publicly order them.

Teachers pride themselves on their class behavior. When the class behaves well, then they look good. Any unruliness from the class is a direct reflection on the instructor and/or HOH. And I'm sure that type of disruptive attitude gets talked about amongst the other teachers.

So I feel that Snape, being an intolerable man who wouldn't want to be made a fool of, would pull his own Slytherin students by the ear and drag them into detention instead of openly ridiculing them since it would open himself to ridicule and mockery among staff and students.

The house points though….hmmm…. I could see him take away some but not a whole lot that they would be behind. He's got house pride, too. I can see him do it under the pressure of the staff who'd accuse him of cheating or showing favoritism towards his house. I can see Dumbledore giving him that all-knowing eye like, "The teachers have a point." and Snape just taking off a few (just a few) to quell their whining chatter. But I doubt he would do it on his own to punish the students for it. Cause Snape can punish his house in other ways in the dungeons.
    M.R.S.

leahsm2
    By "public" I meant, basically, "Potions Class" . I can't picture him doing it, either and I sort of assume a number of "checks and balances" at work with the students themselves that you would pretty much watch yourself. But I was also imagining a younger Snape, new at teaching who would be trying to establish the proper level of respect from students who are not much younger than himself and who would have all sorts of devastating pasts themselves, given the number of Slytherin students who would've had parents involved with the Death Eaters.

Given that scenario, assume someone inadvertently did something very disrespectful. Would that change your answers?

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

But I was also imagining a younger Snape, new at teaching who would be trying to establish the proper level of respect from students who are not much younger than himself and who would have all sorts of devastating pasts themselves, given the number of Slytherin students who would've had parents involved with the Death Eaters.

Given that scenario, assume someone inadvertently did something very disrespectful. Would that change your answers?
    Someone of his own house doing something disrespectful? Well given that scenario, being that he had just started teaching, I could see him publicly addressing the issue and take more house points (instead of the some that I stated earlier). This would be just to assert his authority within the school amongst the staff and the students.

But I would think it would be necessary for him to. According to Snape's timeline in the HP-Lexicon, he just got that reprieve with Dumbledore vouching for him at the Wizengamot. Soon afterwards, he got the teaching job at Hogwarts.

So, as to not step on any toes, he would have to keep with the status quo as the new teacher and reformed Death Eater. So I feel he would have to be fair in the beginning of his teaching career.

But once he got himself familiar around the staff, establishing his authority in the school, then I can see him doing the things that I had quoted earlier.
    M.R.S.

cmwinters
    I think that the Slytherin house students are quite capable of issuing any, er, discipline necessary for points losses. I'd imagine that hazing in the Slytherin dorms is pretty intense.

Having said that, I think Snape probably put the fear of God into his new students. I can see him having a meeting in the dorms the night of the Sorting, and saying what amounts to "do not commit infractions that I have the displeasure of dealing with, or you will wish you hadn't."

I certainly wouldn't want to cross him.

leahsm2
    Meaning no disrespect, cm, but it was inadvertent. Probably Flagrant. That's why I posted because it was . . . beyond the pale. And not quite fatal, but close.

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    I think that the Slytherin house students are quite capable of issuing any, er, discipline necessary for points losses. I'd imagine that hazing in the Slytherin dorms is pretty intense.

Having said that, I think Snape probably put the fear of God into his new students. I can see him having a meeting in the dorms the night of the Sorting, and saying what amounts to "do not commit infractions that I have the displeasure of dealing with, or you will wish you hadn't."

I certainly wouldn't want to cross him.
    I don't mean to double post, but it has been a while

Not meaning to lose anymore plot bunnies, either, but Snape got his speeches down with time, but the first year of his tenure into Hogwarts seems fascinating to me (trademark leahsm2 ) Anyway, I know, Earth to Leah

During his first year as a teacher, he would have been twenty-two, and everyone is fresh off of the first war and reeling from major losses. Snape, being raw with the guilt of Lily's death, and a whisker away from Azkaban; not yet a double agent; would be a different animal entirely than he became, except he'd be more eager to prove himself and understand his charges more intrinsically because he had been one so recently. Would he be even more harsh in the beginning do you think, or be feeling his way through, eventually becoming who he needed to be? I think it could go either way or, I wouldn't be asking for opinions