Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Severus Snape

SiriuslyMental
    Hehe, only Italian. No Igbo for Severus.

Also, I've made Snape half-gypsy in my fic. His father was a gypsy and was killed when he was very young, along with his mother. He lived with his Aunt Aggie and Uncle Henry (a settled gypsy and an Irish woman) in Spinner's End, which, during the 1970's, tolerated neither the Irish, nor gypsies. If this is confusing, I'm posting a bit of the fic in a minute in the Essence of Murtlap section.

cmwinters
    Are you calling Tobias Snape a Muggle Rrom?

I've seen him as half of many things in fic. Rrom, Jewish, Italian . . . mostly due to his appearance, but the Rrom tend to be more olive-complected than he is, don't they?

SiriuslyMental
    Generally, yes, but there are always exceptions, especially if you've grown up in a very grey, wet sort of climate. Complexion depends on the environment as much as genetics. Spinner's End is set outside of Birmingham, but Tobias grew up mostly in the North - the moors, Leeds, Machester, very far up into Scotland. He was more olive-skinned than Severus, who takes after his mother's fair complexion, but his father's strong features and dark eyes/hair.

His Aunt Aggie, whom he is not related to by blood, is the daughter of Irish Travellers. His father and uncle are Romnichals.

Cwiddy
    I believe that Snape may speak a different language, but to me it would be unlikely as he seemed to have a less then happy life growing up, and wouldn't Voldemort use that? He must have been a death eater at a rather young age, because James and Lily weren't that old when they died, and he seemed to be great at potions already, possibly learning a lot from his mother while growing up. To get into the circles he was in as a Death Eater I can't see that he was out of the country too long, if he did leave at all.

Pepper Imp
    Okay, here's my input. (It's mostly questions and musings, but oh well.)

About Snape feeling guilty about mentioning the prophecy to Voldemort: I think that he doesn't feel guilty about the fact that James died, or anyone at all, actually, but if he was to feel guilt at all, it would have been for Lily, in my mind. I mean, even though she was in Gryffindor and was Muggle-born (and married James Potter), she was kind to Snape, up to a point. But then again, she did marry James Potter... I guess it really matters on the kind of story that you're trying to tell.

Now, onto my own questions:

How would Snape express romantic love, if at all? (Oh, great. I sound like the OC character form! ) I'm currently writing a Snape/OC, and I would like some input. I am personally veering towards powerful obsession rather than admiration and/or love. What are your opinions?

Pafoo
    My humble opinion is that Snape was sad that he got James and Lily killed - not necessarily that they (well, James, at least) died. I imagine Snape as a youth a tad bit like Malfoy. Well, no, scratch that; Malfoy is all show, but Snape actually does things. But I don't imagine him intentionally selling them out so that they'd be killed.

Kitty

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper Imp
    How would Snape express romantic love, if at all? (Oh, great. I sound like the OC character form! ) I'm currently writing a Snape/OC, and I would like some input. I am personally veering towards powerful obsession rather than admiration and/or love. What are your opinions?
    Hm. Canonically, Snape is pretty tightly trussed up - building pressure until it explodes. Remember in the Shrieking Shack, and later in PoA in the Hospital Wing, when he was veritably incandescent with rage? But most of the time he's very controlled. Petty and vicious, but controled and calm and cool and inscrutable.

I don't think Snape is likely to put himself in a position where someone could be used as a weapon against him, regardless of whose side he's on. So I don't see him becoming *emotionally* involved with someone unless the war was over. Prior to then, he's certainly capable of having as limited contact as possible with someone or several someones in order to meet his physical needs, but he'd hold them at a distance and likely break it off early to prevent any uncomfortable emotional situation that could be detrimental to their collective health.

After the war is over, I imagine that he'd be much the same. Very tightly controlled, not wanting to admit that he loved someone because it would be a sign of weakness, probably very jealous and possessive, and probably somewhat controlling. At the same time, he would absolutely not tolerate someone who was easily controlled. And he wouldn't be the type to give flowers and chocolate and trinket jewelry.

One very strong point - Obsession and love are not the same thing.

_Levicorpus_

Snape's past

Quote Originally Posted by Gmariam
    First of all, do you think he [snape] killed anyone before HBP? Would it seem out of character for a young Severus Snape to refuse to kill someone?
    Snape, at this point in the series at least (pre- book 7) is and has been a double agent. Working for Voldemort after having such horrific schooldays would imply that he was attracted to power and protection. I think he would have done anything for either.

The need for protection is further established by his servitude of Albus Dumbledore and the Order. An attraction to protection, to me at least, would likely infer a troubled or even abusive childhood. The brain forms many habits during development, and the idea that snape favored his mother's heritage would make sense (thus devoloping the nickname, "The Half-Blood Prince). Snape himself is a crossover; born from a hypothesized abusive father and a mother whom writers have assumed either had no backbone and allowed her son to be beaten or protected him as often as she could.

A split reputation of origins would foster an adult who would be a prime candidate for being a double agent, having a portion of the brain that would generally be united spilt by opposing forces raising him. Therefore, the theory of an abusive father fits snape's reputation perfectly. His adult mind still feeds off of the two forces he had as a child, an abusive master-- Voldemort, and a kind, loving one. But since his father seemed to dominate over his mother snape would likely think Voldemort had more power-- that being his experience.

This disconnect from his parents would make him an individual, hence his lonliness in school and ability to float without attatchment --hence killing Dumbledore-- as an adult.

I apologize if this didn't make any sense, I just got back from a science test... haha.

Pepper Imp
    I'm sorry if this is considered 'bumping' this thread, but I thought that it would be a good idea to post here instead of creating a new thread.

Would Snape lash out if he was under a lot of pressure? Or he had just got back from meeting with Voldemort? I know that is is universally agreed that he is a tightly coiled spring just waiting to boing (where did that example come from? XD. I mean that he's just bottled up all his emotions), but what if he had just had a rough day? Or a meeting with Voldemort that didn't go very well?

Thanks,
    Cammie!

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepper Imp
    Would Snape lash out if he was under a lot of pressure? Or he had just got back from meeting with Voldemort? I know that is is universally agreed that he is a tightly coiled spring just waiting to boing (where did that example come from? XD. I mean that he's just bottled up all his emotions), but what if he had just had a rough day? Or a meeting with Voldemort that didn't go very well?
    Yes, actually I go into this in some detail a couple of replies up. We've seen him completely lose it at least three times - first in the Shrieking Shack, then later when Sirius Black escapes, and finally during Harry's Occlumency lessons.

In the first two examples, though, it was because he appeared to genuinely feel that Sirius was culpbable for the murders of the Potters, and nevermind his OWN history with the man.

In the last example, well, I am of the opinion that aside from the torment by the Marauders, the other two memories in that Pensieve were Snape hearing the ENTIRE prophecy, and Snape being at Godric's Hollow, trying to get them to leave. With the Dark Lord in Harry's head, Harry knowing that would ASSUREDLY be a death sentence for Snape.

So yes, but he'd have to be pushed pretty hard. I don't ever think he has *good* days, so "just having a bad day" probably wouldn't cut it, but if it were a really rotten horrid day, yes.