Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slytherin Take to the Sky!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Slytherin Takes to the Sky!

Hi team,

We are approaching the time when we will be ready to start writing so I thought it was time I started us a thread for the match.

A reminder of the prompt:

Getting tired of grading papers and teaching classes the faculty of Hogwarts have challenged each other to a friendly game of Quidditch to be played before the whole school. This match must be set during one of Harry’s years at Hogwarts using professors and the other staff. Unfortunately, the ghosts are out, but poltergeists are in. For this challenge please use only canon characters, but feel free to flesh out the characters that we only know by name.
    Remember all the rules of the game:

Each drabble must be 100 words or less.
    Once you have posted you must wait for two people to post after you before you can post again.
    Have fun.

Finally, all that is left for me to say is:

Win Win Slytherin!

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

XhayleeXblackX

Slytherin for the cup!

I guess I'll start us off, then?

The Great Hall grew quiet as the headmaster stood, preparing to make an announcement. He smiled broadly and clapped his hands. “Students and staff, in light of recent events that have shadowed our school, I have devised a plan to bring laughter and enjoyment back into our halls!

“This afternoon, two teams made up solely of staff members will take to the pitch for a game of Quidditch that will be like nothing Hogwarts has ever seen. Shall I announce the teams?” Dumbledore asked merrily.

“Heading the orange team as a Chaser will be our lovely deputy headmistress, Professor McGonagall!”
    [100 words]

-Haylee

leahsm2
    Professor Snape fairly choked on his tea, unable to fathom what he was hearing.

“Joining her at Chaser,” Headmaster Dumbledore continued, “will be Madam Pomfrey and the always popular Madam Irma Pince. The Beaters for the Orange team are Professor Kettleburn and . . .”

Snape glared darts at the Headmaster, daring him to say the words.

“Slytherin Head of House, Severus Snape.”

Snape pondered for a moment which curse in his arsenal suited this occasion, and how long it would take to Confund a room full of schoolchildren; when he noticed a similar look spreading across Professor McGonagall’s face.
    100 words

You need an "a" before Quidittch, Haylee, but you have a few words to play with, otherwise, lovely as always!
    Oh, and I think it's "overshadowed" (or not, not sure???) Please tell me what need fixin' on mine, too as that is time consuming!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Determined not to let her see that he was bothered by the decision, he attempted to make his facial expression neutral and avoided her gaze. Inside he was fuming. How dare Dumbledore do such a thing? He could have at least prepared him for it.

Dumbledore was continuing to announce the team, having already proclaimed Professor Burbage as Seeker. There was just the Keeper left. Severus hoped to Merlin that this would be someone sensible.

“And the Keeper for the Orange team shall be, Professor Trelawny.”

Severus groaned. He should have known he couldn’t trust Dumbledore to be sensible.
    99words

Hope that is OK. I toyed with whether the orange team should have a capital O as it is their team name afterall. Leah, yours looks good

If anyone wants a direct link to the team lists they are here:

http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...2&postcount=18

Just to save you having to trawl back to the planning thread

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

XhayleeXblackX
    “Now, for the opponents, the Chasers will be Head of Hufflepuff House, Professor Sprout, Professor Sinistra, and Madam Hooch! Professor Vector and Mr. Filch will be playing as Beaters-”

The students began whispering loudly amongst themselves at the mention of Filch, who had been more irritable than ever after Mrs. Norris had been Petrified.

“The Seeker will be the Head of Ravenclaw House, Professor Flitwick. Lastly, the captain and Keeper for the Grey Team will be Professor Lockhart!”

Dumbledore put his hands together and grinned. “The match will take place this afternoon at two o’clock and be refereed by . . .”
    [99 Words]

Let's get the ball rolling, Slytherin!!

-Haylee

leahsm2
    “. . . me, myself, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore,” he said. “Our announcer will be Rubeus Hagrid. Let us go and prepare ourselves for the afternoon’s events.”

The students dutifully left the room, amid much chatter and giggling. The Professors playing Quidditch had had the hoped for effect; the students’ moods had definitely been lifted.

“So, team,” Professor Lockhart said cheerily, corralling them together. “Grey is an unappealing color. What say we go up a little on the color scale and use, oh, I don’t know. . . Lilac, perhaps? Such a happy color and pleasing to all complexions.”
    Words: 100 Yeah i wondered about the capitals, but we should fix it as we go along as best we can because we want our captain's job at the end to not be tooooo difficult!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    The look on his team mates’ faces said it all though Lockhart seemed completely oblivious to this. When no one responded, he said, “Excellent! I shall inform Professor Dumbledore."

On the other side of the hall, the Orange team had huddled together. Snape and McGonagall were shooting daggers at each from opposite sides of the circle. McGonagall had taken charge of the team, declaring they ought to have a practice before the match.

“I don’t have time,” interrupted Snape.

“You’ll have to make time, Severus, or do you want to lose to Lockhart’s team?” Her voice was full of contempt.
    100 words!

So, as I am outnumbered, I was thinking we should use American spellings (much as it might kill me) so if you notice anything I've spelt wrong then let me know.

XhayleeXblackX
    Over the next few hours, the staff members practiced between classes and at lunch. At fifteen until two, the students and remaining staff members gathered in the stands to watch the match. The two teams exited the locker rooms and walked out onto the pitch, where Professor Dumbledore stood in the center. He placed his wand to his throat and spoke to the crowd.

“Good afternoon, Hogwarts! Our two teams have lined up and are now ready to fly. Would the captain of the Orange team and the captain of the now Lilac team shake hands, please?” proclaimed the Headmaster.
    [100 Words]

I hope skipping ahead was okay. Oh and Hannah, you need a quotation mark at the end of the first paragraph and a comma after hall in the first sentence of the second paragraph.

And as far as the different spellings and such, the British versions actually come more naturally for me with fanfiction than the Amercianisms. So, I am fine with doing them the British way. Not sure how everyone else feels, but I'm fine with it that way.

-Haylee

leahsm2
    Professor McGonagall solemnly walked forward and offered her hand to Professor Lockhart, who accepted it in turn and gave her a courtly kiss upon it. The students tittered at the spectacle, as McGonagall attempted to retrieve it with as much dignity as possible.

“You were supposed to shake my hand, Gilderoy,” she whispered under her breath.

“Ah, but my dear, the gallant gesture is always the most remembered,” he said happily in return, as he waved gaily to the crowd.

“Ah, well,” Hagrid began, settling into his seat in the announcer’s area. “That was somthin’ you won’t see ev'ry day.”
    100 words

Umm . . . Hagrid is a bit . . . challenging, isn't he?

EDIT: Thanks, Hannah wasn't sure

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    On the ground Dumbledore blew his whistle and the teams rose into the air, amid much cheering and some laughing from the students. The sight of some of their professor’s attempting to fly a broomstick was almost too funny to watch.

On wand end of the pitch, Professor Trelawny drifted over the goal posts, looking thoroughly distracted. She had not been quite sure whether she wanted to play this match, but unfortunately her inner eye had not deigned to give her the foresight to be ill and so she was stuck in the air, worrying about defending the posts.
    99 words. (yes I chickened out of writing Hagrid. I was thinking we could just show how a few of the characters are acting, before getting in to some serious playing.

Leah, you need to get rid of the speech marks at the end of the second paragraph. edit: ahh, you must have done that while I was posting. Also I think there ought to be an apostrophe in evry. I'm guessing the missing out of the e is intentional for his dialect but without an apostrophe it looks a bit like a typo.