Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vote for QSQ

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

I love this little debate.

In no post did I suggest changing or getting rid of the current QSQ judging format that you are all so vigorously defending. In fact, in each post I believe I stated that its diligent process would always provide a higher quality selection. I simply suggested that a Reader's Choice in addition to the current QSQ would let interested members participate more fully and promote more stories being read. Of course ideally it would be fair/proper/correct for voters to read ALL stories nominated, but I used the election examples to show that in the real world voting seldom works that way and we don't have to lock ourselve into the absolutist thinking that unless it does a Reader's Choice vote won't work. So what if there's a lame winner? It still gets members to read more stories.

I was simply putting out an idea of how James Jameson's original suggestion could be implemented. Perhaps the staff may consider it for next year's awards.

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

Striped_Candycane
    Although I agree with JCCollier in that there would be absolutely nothing wrong with adding a Reader's Choice IN ADDITION to the Judge's Choice, I think too many awards might also lessen the value of the QSQs. Perhaps instead of a Reader's Choice for each category of the QSQs, there could be only a couple of Reader's Choice awards, and these for all the fics overall. A huge list of awards becomes, to my mind, a little less appealing than a short, carefully crafted list.

I also think that although a Reader's Choice would be interesting to have, it will not necessarily make people review the stories more. First of all, Reader's Choice stories have already usually been widely read, and therefore have already gotten an enormous amount of reviews: quite frankly, I don't think an award would change these reviews in the least. A Reader's Choice award is more to recognize authors that have made a difference in the fanfiction community through their works, rather than make them known.

However, since this choice is basically made following popularity, it can let fics of lesser quality win (as seen on other sites). Too many Reader's Choice awards could also distract from the smaller fics that deserve recognition and reviews. This is why I agree on the Reader's Choice on principle, but I think it would need to be handled with care and, above all, NOT distract from the Judge's Choice and the less well-known fics, that should, in my opinion, be privileged.

-Veronica

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Striped_Candycane
    Perhaps instead of a Reader's Choice for each category of the QSQs, there could be only a couple of Reader's Choice awards, and these for all the fics overall.
    I absolutely agree that a Reader's Choice, if ever tried, should be limited to a few (2-4) general categories, and not the complete 20-30 different categories that the mods judge. But within those categories it could still use the same nominated fics the moderators are judging between. That way the less read fics, not only the most popular, would still be among those offered for consideration. Whether a person voting takes the effort to read all of the nominated stories before deciding is still up to that person. I would also suggest a ballot that each member can send in only once, not a poll where someone will click their favorite fifty times.

To return to the election analogy, many places participate in a program called Kid Voting. It has little importance and no consequence compared to the adult election, but allows the children to feel part of the process and hopefully promotes them wanting to become more informed about candidates and issues. Similarly, a Reader's Choice vote, while not as thoroughly informed as moderator votes, could promote members wanting to become more informed of a few stories that they might not have read otherwise. The QSQ Awards voted by moderators would still be recognized as the most important selections.

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

Marauder by Midnight
    The procedure we have in place right now works best for the size of our site for all the reasons everyone else has said already.

Readers Choice, while a very legitimate suggestion, wouldn't work due to the sheer number of nominations that come in. How can Readers Choice be selected if there are more than 20 stories nominated per category? Surely no reader will sit and read 20 stories per category. It would only result in a popularity contest.

We've actually explored the suggestion to make the QSQs more of a site-wide poll, but in the end, it just doesn't work, again due to our size.