Thread: Vote for QSQ

Hybrid View

James Jameson

Vote for QSQ

I think that, since we get to NOMINATE them, that we should be given a period of time to vote for them ourselves. Then, more people would READ/REVIEW the stories, the authors would be happy, and everyone could generally agree on who wins.

Just my thoughts!

cirelondiel
    Currently, each QSQ category is worked on by a handful of people. The stories are read and discussed and compared, and judged on the basis of several aspects that contribute to their overall quality. I think this system works well: it allows everyone on MNFF to have their say, then ensures that the winning fics have been read by the people who choose the winners (whereas if it was a vote, people might vote without having read all the nominees - thus it wouldn't get more reads for the authors) and it would be reduced to a popularity contest.

So, the system which is in place and is worked on very hard by several people means that A) everyone gets a chance to say what they like and B) it is ensured that the highest quality fictions are chosen rather than possibly those which are most popular. If the winner isn't the fic you would have expected in your favourite category, perhaps you'll find another excellent story you'd never found before!

-- Chelsea

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I don't think having a vote would promote more people to read/review the stories. It would just encourage more 'bribery' and people voting just because they know the author and that sort of thing. Just because a person voted doesn't mean they read all the stories in the running--and there are usually A LOT of them. Most people are too lazy for that and would just vote for a friend's or the one they nominated.

Like Chels pointed out, the system works out perfectly well. Especially as it is run by mods, they know what sort of quality they are looking for. They chose the people that work with them, and from my understanding it is not always the same each year. A vote wouldn't necessarily bring out a good story, but it would bring out a popular one. I'm not saying that those two can't go together, but they don't always.

So, that's my two cents.

[hugs]

xox
    nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Of course there are places that have both an Editor's Choice and Reader's Choice awards. The mods could still do their diligent quality evaluation, yet all members could feel they have a part in the voting and not just recommendations. And if the member vote did become just a popularity contest, we would still have the mod's superior selections.

Quote Originally Posted by fg_weasley
    I don't think having a vote would promote more people to read/review the stories.
    This seems a bit of doublethought to me. Members voting and selecting stories wouldn't promote more people to read, but mods voting and selecting stories does? I'm confused. Isn't that like telling viewers of American Idol that all their voting doesn't make the show more popular, only Randy, Paula, and Simon's opinions do?

That's my two cents .

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

cirelondiel
    Sorry if we were unclear - each judging panel is led by a someone, normally a mod, but each has several members working on it. So it is not just a Mods' Choice.

I believe what Nikki was saying was that opening a vote would not encourage members to read all the stories any more than simply seeing them nominated would.

The system currently in place ensures that those choosing the winners have read all of the entries, and is more likely to promote stories that have fewer reads, because people won't just be picking the one they have read without comparing it to the other nominees.

I do think that the idea of having a members' choice and a judges' choice could work - but then again, it's extra effort to conduct the polls and make banners and the only result would be that we would know which is most popular.

-- Chelsea

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by JCCollier
    This seems a bit of doublethought to me. Members voting and selecting stories wouldn't promote more people to read, but mods voting and selecting stories does? I'm confused. Isn't that like telling viewers of American Idol that all their voting doesn't make the show more popular, only Randy, Paula, and Simon's opinions do?
    No, its not. Because I know that the mods/readers of the QSQ HAVE to read the stories, but there is no way they could make everyone that wants to vote read all the stories. When you vote on American Idol you watch American Idol, most likely. And when you watch American Idol you see ALL the options. There would be no way to do this will all the stories that get nominated. Plus reading takes time, and lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chels
    I believe what Nikki was saying was that opening a vote would not encourage members to read all the stories any more than simply seeing them nominated would.
    YES! This is what I mean.
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Quote Originally Posted by cirelondiel
    A Reader's Choice vote does not have to encourage or require members to read ALL the stories, just to read MORE stories. Tens of millions of people on Nov. 4 will vote for president without ever having listened to Ralph Nader, Bob Barr, or Ron Paul like we have listened to McCain and Obama. Yet they are some of the options. Our elections have no requirement that says a person cannot vote until they have heard ALL candidates, so we don't need to work by the assumption that reading ALL the stories is the ONLY way a voting system in MNFF must operate.

Although a Reader's Choice selection may not have the high quality achieved by the moderators system, the activity would promote members reading MORE stories, if not ALL. That is what I was saying .

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.