Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - Theme: Death - Results

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

Name: Rachel/lily_evans34
    House: Ravenclaw!
    Title: Nineteen Years Later
    Warnings: Suicide... well, mentions of.
    Word Count: 496
    Authors Note: Again, I fail at timelines... the flashbacks were directly after Fred's death, when he and Angelina weren't in a relationship yet, and the other bits are around the epilogue time.

It was easy to forget that at one time, death had only been a word. A concept which had been taught to him at an early age, one which had been put on a backburner in his mind – too abstract to touch, too illusory to feel.

“George, please, no. Please – you have to listen to me.”

“I’ve heard you, Angelina. There’s nothing more to say.”

“George, it doesn’t have to be this way. Please.”

His wand was directed away from his throat, now pointing at the second figure in the room. He could see the fear in Angelina’s eyes as she warily took a step back, shaking her head in desperation.

“What the hell do I have to live for, Angelina? My brother is dead. My twin – dead. Do you have any bloody idea what it’s like? To wake up every morning and realise that you’re living, breathing,
    feeling what he never will?”

Nineteen years later, George Weasley knew better. Death had been a constant presence in his life – an immutable entity for so long that he often wondered how it was that children were born without any concept of death. How they didn’t understand that outside of their sheltered lives, worlds were crumbling down around them.

Angelina’s arm was shaking as she made to raise her wand before lowering it once more.

“George, please. It’s not your fault. It was never your fault. You have to listen to me. Fred’s gone, but the rest of them aren’t. Your family, George. They need you.”

“They don’t. No one’s ever needed me.”

“I do.”

George closed his eyes and rested his head on his arms. It was a quiet day at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes. He preferred the usual bustle and activity – it kept him busy so that he wasn’t required to relive his memories.

When he looked up, he gave a start.

“I didn’t see you come in.”

“I just got here.”

Angelina walked around his desk and kissed him lightly on his lips. She sat down in an adjacent chair and leaned back, sunlight spilling onto her face as she closed her eyes.

“Do you ever regret it?” she asked after a moment had passed.

“You’re lying.”

“I’m not.”

“What use am I? Why could anyone possibly need me?”

“There’s no one like you, George. Your whole life, you’ve been able to make people smile when they don’t want to. Fred wouldn’t want this. He’s only ever wanted you to be happy.”

“You – you couldn’t know something like that.”

“I do. Better than you think.”

Nineteen years later, it was hard to forget that at one time, he had forgotten how to live. It was hard to forget the hold that death had over his life – the constant reminder of the way things used to be, and they way they could have been.

And sometimes it was hard to remember that there were some things worth living for.

“No,” he finally answered. “I don’t.”

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

cirelondiel
    Name: Chelsea
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: One hundred and seven
    Warnings: Character death :P
    Word Count: 107
    Authors Note: This came to me in a flash of inspiration at the last minute. I used second person, but this time it actually has a character assigned. I'm sure (I hope!) you can tell who it is...

You should have died at age one.

But by some miracle, you didn't, and you went down in history.

You should have died in your teens.

But somehow, you survived half a dozen attempts on your life, and made history.

You changed the world.

And now you lie in the bed you used to share with your wife, surrounded by the family you raised together. Against all odds, you've lived for a hundred and seven years.

You've said your goodbyes. As the sun sets, you know it's time to go.

You close your eyes, and her hand takes yours, to lead you into the next great adventure.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    Once more...this was a challenge that was rather hard to judge. Dumbledore seemed like a very popular choice, and the Ebil One was surprised Harry Potter was only used once. =]

There was interesting POVs and some obvious ones as well... And everyone took a rather unique point of view in regards to this particular theme. Without further ado, the following stood out:

First Place:
    Much More Than Another Job by Phia Phoenix

Phia wrote from the POV of one of the several Albus Dumbledore entries submitted. However, what made it unique was the fact that Albus was having a conversation quite literally with death.

Second Place:
    Be brave, my love by Equinox Chick
    Carole wrote quite a unique drabble in that she used four characters who are already on the other side of death, so to speak. Awesome job!

Third Place:
    As I Lay Dying by Hufflepuff at Heart
    Of all the drabbles submitted, this was quite possibly the darkest of them all. The POV from Bellatrix is quite poetic and her ramblings regarding her love for death are very introspective. Great job!

Points will be posted tomorrow.
    ~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!