Thread: RE: Atmosphere and Moderators

Hybrid View

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

RE: Atmosphere and Moderators

I would like to make an observation on something I see as an underlying theme of many recent threads. I could be considered one of those who is 'changing the atmosphere' by posting what some may see as combative, hurtful responses. I simply saw this as commenting on mechanics of a system, not persons. Roxy made a very thoughtful and well spoken response in one thread that convinced me that maintaining the moderator's love of and positive attitude toward their volunteer work was a greater priority than uneven queue waits, counters, etc, and so I felt it proper to let the subjects rest. The audiofics, contests, and other events that let mods do other things than just edit, edit, edit, are great.

I find the one constant comment made over and over again in many recent threads is that our dedicated moderators are overworked, especially with a number of former ones having moved on to other things. Yet for the last two months I have nowhere on this board seen any announcement asking for more people to become moderators. Please correct me if I am wrong about this and if there is some invisible recruitment system that I am not aware of. Wouldn't a lot of the moderator's stress be relieved and the atmosphere improve if the moderator staff was replenished and the individual workload lessened? I know competent moderators do not instantly pop up, but are some potential candidates being identified for the future? Or do the senior staff feel the current number of mods is sufficient?

I suggest a permanent moderator-in-training program, where interested members can learn the moderator responsibilities over time through a certification process. This would create a pool of mods-to-be that could step up when someone leaves. It should have its own section like Betas, Bannermakers, etc.

Mods have left before and mods will leave in the future for whatever personal needs in their real lives. Change always happens and this would be a system that accepts and plans for change.

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    As it happens, for the past few weeks, the mods have been trying to assess what is left of our group, determine our needs, and work on a plan for mod hiring. While I cannot give you a timeline at this point, watch the forums and archive news sections for an announcement of an upcoming mod hiring in the not-too-distant future.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

James Jameson
    I suggest a permanent moderator-in-training program, where interested members can learn the moderator responsibilities over time through a certification process.
    I actually quite agree with this. I think that the mod in training system could do a gerat lot of good! It could:
    A: give members here a chance to see what Modding is all about, and the work that goes into it, allowing them to see if they really would like to mod,
    and
    B: give members a greater appreciation for what mods do so we don't complain as much

Just thought I'd revamp this idea... I thought it was a good'un.

Tine

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    The process of becoming a moderator has it's own training program. Those selected newbie-mods must pass a probation period to become a full mod. They may also choose to leave at this point if they do not like the job.

I would think that members do know what modding is all about. It is about standards of writing and helping you all to improve.

We now have a full team of moderators and we are not looking to hire anyone at this moment. A Moderator-in-training program would be unused for 90% of the year and therefore, impractical.

Thank you for your suggestions.