Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atmosphere Change

bertiebott12

Atmosphere Change

I assume that this would go here, even though it isn't a technical suggestion. I honestly think that this would make MNFF a better place, and I believe that that is what this forum is for.

Lately, there has been a whole change in atmosphere on MNFF. A lot of people don't feel as warm or welcome as things used to be, and I have noticed that it has caused a few members to leave. In general, a lot of mods or respected members of the board have changed their attitudes toward members. They seem a lot more reserved and short-tempered. Tons of people miss the warm attitude that mods were known for.

I realise that everyone has bad days, but it has been consistent over the last month or so. I speak for many people when I say that some mod/"powers" response have hurt some people's feelings. So, I'm mainly suggesting that mods try to be more warm and to go back towards the atmosphere that made MNFF so popular.

/Claire

Euphrates
    I have to agree. I'm not taking a jab at the mods or any mod in particular, but I do feel MNFF has changed. Maybe it's the new members frequenting here that just makes it feel different (not bad! Please don't take it that way. I'd feel so awful. Just different and we can't tell the difference). Maybe it's the stress everyone is feeling from school. Maybe it's none of these things. But some people I've talked to have been hurt recently by a mod/mods, and I know it's not their fault because the mods are stressed and underappreciated, and I love you guys, really, but everyone needs to remember that behind this computer screen are people, too, and the internet can really affect people even though it's easy for some to brush it off. It's not easy for me. People come here to escape rl, not to deal with more drama/pain.

Then again, my rl sucks so wth am I talking about.

I'm not trying to hurt the mods or anyone reading this. This is just a change in the boards I, too, have noticed and think needs to be addressed. I don't want to do the same thing I'm saying has happened, but it does need to be said. I love you guys. Please don't take this the wrong way. I've just felt very lost here lately, and maybe that's my fault and nobody else's.

<3Kate

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I also have to agree with Claire. I have noticed the same thing. When I first joined it seemed this was the nicest and warmest place to be. Everyone was helpful and friendly. But over the past couple months, it seems to have changed.

It isn't any one person in particular, or even the majority, but just some. And those are enough to make this board less than it was.

I miss the old days when things were more focused on the members. Like Claire, I know several who have left because of this change in attitude. Though it may not be an overwhelming amount leaving, isn't even one too many?

Being a mod on another site, I totally understand the pressure and time it involves. But, even when I am beyond tired, I always try to remember without the members, there would be no board.

Thank you for listening.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

clumsywerewolf2438
    I assume that this would go here, even though it isn't a technical suggestion. I honestly think that this would make MNFF a better place, and I believe that that is what this forum is for.

Lately, there has been a whole change in atmosphere on MNFF. A lot of people don't feel as warm or welcome as things used to be, and I have noticed that it has caused a few members to leave. In general, a lot of mods or respected members of the board have changed their attitudes toward members. They seem a lot more reserved and short-tempered. Tons of people miss the warm attitude that mods were known for.
    I've noticed this a bit, too, but I could understand their point of view completely, because, from what you've said, it sounds like you're refering to the mod responses in here and the Ask a Moderator Thread. While I understand where you're coming from, I have to disagree, because I think that some of the members have been very disrespectful to the mods. I've read through some of the threads in here and some of the requests--no offense--are very impractical, and when the mods say no, there are people who won't take it for an answer. That would be enough to drive most people over the edge, but the mods have been extremely polite about it. And in the Ask A Moderator thread, I've seen a lot of questions answered in the FAQ as well, so I can understand why that would be frustrating as well. The mods have lives outside of MNFF, just like the rest of us, and they have to do more than we do, and they're doing the best they can at the moment, with the start of a new school year and all that.

I realise that everyone has bad days, but it has been consistent over the last month or so. I speak for many people when I say that some mod/"powers" response have hurt some people's feelings. So, I'm mainly suggesting that mods try to be more warm and to go back towards the atmosphere that made MNFF so popular.
    Over the last month or so is when this forum has been operating. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I know a lot about coding, being in a web design class, and some of the things that are being asked for are more trouble than they're worth, and when the moderators say no, it seems like there's always at least one person who won't take no for an answer. Everyone makes mistakes at times, and I've been offended by people before--not necessarily on this site--but usually it's just in the moment, and when I go back and read the post/PM/email, I realize it was actually me who was in the wrong.

I personally think the mods are very warm, but they are very busy at this time, and they haven't been shown the respect they deserve. No offense, but it's posts like this that make people mad. I'm the administrator on a very small forum that's just for my RL friends and a few people I've met online, some of whom I don't even know, and I know for a fact that when I've read posts like this on there, it hurt a lot. It's a lot of work to run even a small forum where only a few people come online and even fewer post, and I can't even imagine how much work it would be to run a forum of this size. IMHO, the mods are doing the best they can, and it's posts like this that have made them seem less friendly to some these days, and even though I don't think they're anywhere near as cold as is being implied, I understand completely where they're coming from.

/my two knuts

Hermoine Jean Granger
    I agree with the point being made; the atmosphere has undergone a drastic change. I haven't been here for long at all, but still, the change seems to be quite visible, even in the four months that I've spent here. I don't mean to be rude, please don't take it in that manner.
    from what you've said, it sounds like you're refering to the mod responses in here and the Ask a Moderator Thread.
    No, I don't think that's what was actually meant by Claire. I mean, it isn't just the Ask a Mod thread, but overall, all throughout the forums, I've seen a change. I don't think we can put the entire blame on the mods, they've been doing a marvelous job maintaining the forums and the archives. There are just lesser mods, and more members now, and there is a lot of pressure on the mods to validate stories faster. Obviously, they can't waste time typing out lengthy answers, and that might come out as clipped or rude to others.

What they could consider is that they could have certain mods who take care of the forums, and others who exclusively validate stories on the archives. I don't know if that is feasible, but it struck me as one which might help.

I personally think the mods are very warm, but they are very busy at this time
    Agreed, hon! That's why I suggested that there could be a step by step fragmentation of the mods, which would mean that all of them do not have to mod, as well as take care of the forums. It is a huge job, no doubt about it, but doing things in small pieces would be better than doing it as a whole.

I would once again like to say that I really appreciate the mods for all that they do for us, and definitely didn't mean to make this a rude post. I have no intentions of hurting anyone's feelings, and I hope I've put that point across clearly.

ix3thehpseries
    I really, really do truly appreciate the mods and I know everyone else here does too, but I get where Claire is coming from about it not being as warm anymore. I don't mean any offense to the mods, or anyone at all, but I think it's because a lot of the older members of the forums have been leaving or going on hiatus due to RL stuff and so have some mods and there have been a lot of new members coming in (Heck, I can still be considered a new member.) and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's really great actually, but it seems as this is happening the mods are getting a little shorter because the same questions are coming up again and again, and people are getting more impatient, and there's more stuff for the mods to do, and everyone's just getting shorter with people. I don't think it's the mods' fault, I just think that because the boards and the whole fandom have grown so much recently that everything is just different because there are more new people and a lot of the older people are leaving. Again, I mean no disrespect at all, and I love the mods and they're totally awesome, but I do kind of agree with Claire.

/slightly badly thought ouy rant-type thing.

--Jorie*

Evester
    I don't really know how credible my response to this is going to be, as I am certainly a newer member, having joined back in March of this year. But I think that we all need to step back and remember what we are talking about. These mods work their butts off to maintain this site, and I know it's frustrating for them to be underappreciated and frowned at. We have no idea what is going on in their lives, how much stress they are under. I don't think it's their fault that the atmosphere has changed. It may be due to the influx of new people, the shortage of mods, the loads of work, but it is not the mods faults. We really can't come in here and lay this on the mods and ask them to shape up.

Quote Originally Posted by clumsywerewolf
    While I understand where you're coming from, I have to disagree, because I think that some of the members have been very disrespectful to the mods. I've read through some of the threads in here and some of the requests--no offense--are very impractical, and when the mods say no, there are people who won't take it for an answer. That would be enough to drive most people over the edge, but the mods have been extremely polite about it.
    This is absolutely true, and I have seen this in some other suggestion threads.

From my experience, Hufflepuff has grown quite warm and close over the past months, aided directly by our HOH and mod RoxyBlack. I do try to read the FAQs and Navy threads before I ask questions, so I can't say I've ever received a less than satisfactory answer from a mod. If other members can't put as much effort into their side of the deal, why in the world should the mods? The beauty of the thing is that the mods DO put so much effort into everything, more than they should, and I would feel bad asking them for anything more.

/my two knuts, and my honest opinion. Please don't be offended.

cirelondiel
    I think we all realise how hard the mods work, and I don't think it's for us to say "could you be more friendly, please?" They're very dedicated and helpful, and I haven't noticed them being cold lately (perhaps only where it's deserved).

But, what I really want to say is - just saying "it's not as friendly any more" won't help: we can all help warm up the forums by sending a nice message to a newbie (or even someone old), and being as warm and caring as we can in our posts!

I agree with what clumsywerewolf said - the mods are amazing, and we can't blame them if they've been short on time lately, or have been down because of things outside their control. But each and every one of us can help make MNFF a place we want to be.

I know in Hufflepuff at the moment we've had some new members saying how shy they feel, but older members all welcome them with open arms. I love the support my housemates have shown for each other recently, including our mods.

So, to sum up, my message is let's thank the mods for what they do, and remember that it's up to all of us to make a fun MNFF. Happiness and enthusiasm can be infectious

/cheesy speech

-- Chelsea

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Evester
    From my experience, Hufflepuff has grown quite warm and close over the past months, aided directly by our HOH and mod RoxyBlack. I do try to read the FAQs and Navy threads before I ask questions, so I can't say I've ever received a less than satisfactory answer from a mod. If other members can't put as much effort into their side of the deal, why in the world should the mods? The beauty of the thing is that the mods DO put so much effort into everything, more than they should, and I would feel bad asking them for anything more.
    Hear hear. Okay I'm a new member and so I don't know what it was like before however, what I have noticed is how easy it is to get het up over something that's really not a problem. For instance when the queue was closed the arguments reached a fever pitch over stories being held to 'ransom'. Quite frankly it was laughable and you have to wonder why a Mod would continue with such a thankless task when they're being treated like that.

Having said that some other sites I go on get ridiculously bad tempered over minutae. Oh the fun we had when someone decided it was 'wrong' for Harry to think that Tonks could be in love with Sirius because they were cousins! Or Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald.

One thing that might help, I guess, is if we could get to know the Mods a bit better. All the Mods I've contacted for various reasons have been polite and friendly perhaps that's because I write to them the same way.

Apologies if I've offended anyone- I didn't mean to.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

babekitty_92
    I'm only going to say one thing and I honestly don't mean to be rude (because I know that my posts may have come across as that and I honestly don't mean it).

RESPECT OTHERS AS YOU WANT TO BE RESPECTED.

This includes Mods, New and Old Members, EVERYONE.

Abbi