Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - Little Whinging: Muggle Ads 2 - Results

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - Little Whinging: Muggle Ads 2 - Results

Your challenge this week is to see this Muggle advert thought the eyes of a wizard/witch. What would he/she think about it? Why was the character watching the "fellyvision" in the first place? No restrictions. It's a free for all.

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -
    PHP Code:
    [B]Name:[/B]
    [
    B]House:[/B]
    [
    B]Title:[/B]
    [
    B]Warnings:[/B]
    [
    B]Word Count:[/B]
    [
    B]Author's Note:[/B] 
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.

All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (November 2nd).

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner #4 - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

Not So New Anymore for the Weekly Challenges:
    Due to a major lack of quality drabbles being submitted to the weeklies, Gato Loco will require that some real thoughtful, original submissions be posted from this moment on or you'll end up like this woman here. That's your one and only warning! XD

Other than that...have fun!

~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hey there, Oh Moste Ebil One!

Name: Equinox Chick
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: The Blood of Two Beaters
    Warnings: None- unless you count a sodden nappy.
    Word Count: 498
    Authors Note: Ouch! This one was hard.

George Weasley escaped to the lounge of his Mother-in-law's house and sat on the sofa pretending to read ‘Hello’ magazine. Angelina’s mother, Charlotte, was a Muggle. She had married the dashing young Josiah Johnson sure in the knowledge that life with magic would mean endless luxury. However, Josiah had not been a rich wizard. His early Quidditch promise died when he took too many Bludgers to the head and was reduced to coaching the Chudley Canons reserve team to make ends meet. When he was sacked from that lowly post; Charlotte left him.

She now lived in a nice bungalow in Dorset with her second husband and tolerated visits from her daughter and her family only if they promised not to do any of that ‘magic nonsense’. George hated these visits but knew they were important to Angelina.

Fred wandered over with a small rectangle thing. “Dad, what’s this?” he asked.

George had failed Muggle Studies – much to his dad’s despair – so wasn’t quite sure what the black object adorned with lots of different buttons was.

“No idea, Freddie. You’d better put it down, though; Grandma won’t like it,” he replied looking dubiously at Fred’s chocolate covered fingers.

“Grandma doesn’t like being called Grandma either, Dad,” said Fred mischievously.

George looked at his son, so unlike his namesake in looks yet so alike in character.

“Keep calling her Grandma, son or Grandmother - that'll make her feel really old,” he whispered.

Roxanne waddled in, her nappy around her knees.

“Give,” she ordered Fred.

Fred, who had decided the black object wasn’t that interesting, handed it over to his tyrannical younger sister.

She immediately put it in her mouth and began to chew.

There was a noise from the far side of the room as a large black box burst into life.

“WOW!” said Fred. “Dad, what’s that?”

“Oh,” said George wracking his brains for the answer. “That’s a vellytishon, son. Muggles watch it all day instead of getting on with other things.”

“What’s that boy doing with that bat?” asked Fred.

“Hmmm,” said George, “Well, that looks like a very small Quidditch pitch so maybe he’s practising.”

“No bwoom, Daddy,” said Roxanne who was following every word.

“He can’t hit anything,” said Fred in disgust. “I’m better than that.”

“Of course you’re better than that, Fred. You have the blood of two Beaters running through your veins,” said George proudly.

Fred sighed and hoped his dad wasn’t about to start reminiscing about his good old days on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. His parents were really quite boring when they got started. Family reunions were always the worst; if he had to hear that story about Uncle Harry swallowing his first Snitch again...

“What’s a pitcher, Daddy?” asked Roxanne, who was still engrossed in the ‘vellytishon’.

“A jug, sweetheart,” George replied.

“That boy’s stupid,” Fred declared with all the certainty of an eight year old. “He can’t hit Bludgers so he wants to be a jug instead.”

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Yay - new weekly! Here's my submission - it was interesting to write.

Name: inspirations
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Fellyvision
    Warnings: None.
    Word Count: 224
    Authors Note: Umm, enjoy! This is basically about a witch adjusting to the idea of her daughter being a Squib, and she sees the advert, and here's what happens:

You stare at the fellyvision in horror – you’re beginning to regret ever setting foot in the Muggle shops. Whatever possessed you? Watching the image flicker across the screen, you can’t quite believe how incredibly stupid Muggles are. How could you call this entertainment? Why would anyone want to watch some kid swinging a bat around and talking about being ‘the greatest hitter in the world’ when he couldn’t even strike the ball?

Your eleven-year-old skips up beside you. ‘What you watching TV for, Mum?’

You muse for a moment; the ugly black box is a TV, eh? Stupid name – fellyvision is better. You shake your head at your daughter’s radiant smile, surprised by her optimism. ‘Just curious,’ you say, turning around. Curious for a glimpse of the world your daughter will be condemned to. Squibs lead a similar life to Muggles, surely?

She nods and grins some more, tugging on your arm. You let her steer you out of the shop. She's taking you to look at more Muggle gadgets, no doubt. You don’t really believe she would, though – she knows nothing of them herself. When she enters the Muggle world, she’ll be a lost little lamb. It hurts you even to think about her leaving the Wizarding world, though you suppose you’ll accept her status fully, someday. You have to.

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    I have to hand it to Equinox Chick and inspirations for been the sole two entrants in this challenge. I was originally going to give each of them 5 points just for participating but upon reading the entries, the Ebil One found she enjoyed them very much...

Therefore, each of you receives 7 points for participating.

I enjoyed the two very different POVs from each entry as well as the two very different feelings each evoke. Lovely!

Points will be posted in two days.
    ~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!