Thread: Career Titles

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Career Titles

Lately I have been wonder what titles of certain careers in the wizarding world. For example...

Would a veterinarian be called a Healer, a Creature Healer, or something else even?

What about a lawyer?

Someone devolpes potions for a living, like a chemical engineer?

An anthropologist?

I may come up with more later, but these are what I have been thinking about lately.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Hmm... let's see about this, shall we?

Concerning a magical veterinarian... Animal Caretaker? No idea. Bleargh.

For a lawyer, I think maybe Barrister of Magical Law or Warlock of the Wizengamot, or something to that effect might work. Or you can just call them a lawyer and not worry.

I seem to recall back in HBP that Slughorn asked whether Hermione was related to Someone Granger, member of the Something Society of Extraordinary Potioneers - I presume that's what you'd call a professional potion maker.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them refers to the study of "magizoology," so if you want a name for a magical anthropologist, I would just stick magi- in front of it to get Magianthropologist. Simple!

So, there's my highly inadequate advice! Enjoy!

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Would a veterinarian be called a Healer, a Creature Healer, or something else even?
    I kind of like Creature Healer. It sounds Rowlingesque.

What about a lawyer?
    Barrister, as Tim suggested, sounds very British, but I tend to think the wizarding world would have another title.

Looking at the Wizengamot, "Interrogator" seems appropriate for court laywers. The British wizarding world doesn't seem to have any such thing as a "defense attorney" -- neither Harry nor Sirius nor anyone else ever seemed to get one!

Someone devolpes potions for a living, like a chemical engineer?
    I concur with "Potioneer."

An anthropologist?
    In my fics, I've used "Muggleologist" for a wizard who studies Muggles, and "humanoid" for a goblin who studies humans, but a wizard who studies humans (not just Muggles)? I doubt they have such a specialty. If a wizard believes that Muggles and wizards are similar enough to be studied together, that would imply he does not believe Muggles are inherently inferior beings, which would make it more likely that he'd turn to Muggle science and study anthropology (maybe specializing in wizarding society).

JOHN91043353
    Well when Harry is in court, doesn't what Dumbledore do count as being Harry's laywer? I don't remember what he's called then as I only have OotP in Swedish so I can't look it up but I think it's something like Defender of the Acused. Anyway I believe that the title given to Dumbledore when he's in court with Harry is the general term used for wizard laywers. (I really hope this make sense)

MvH Johan

Azhure
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    I don't remember what he's called then as I only have OotP in Swedish so I can't look it up but I think it's something like Defender of the Acused.
    In English it's 'Witness for the Offence'. This isn't really a job, though. It's just Dumbledore deciding to defend Harry. I suppose there are professional lawyer-type witches and wizards, but I'm not sure, to be honest. As Inverarity said, there was no option for Harry, he just went to the trial undefended until Dumbeldore showed up; and Sirius didn't even get a trial!

~~Azhure~~

CakeorDeath
    Harry's was a hearing though not a trial. I got the impression that there are different things.

I think it is up to the author, what system they want to invent.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Okay, so we have Creature Healer, Potioneer, Interrogator, Defender of the Accused/Witness for the Offence, and Muggleologist/Magianthropologist. These are all great. But now I have even more to decide on.

Nurse (not a Healer. I'm sure not all healthcare workers are Healers)
    Psychologist/Psychiatrist
    Wizarding Technology Developer
    Plant Nursery Worker
    Architect
    Pharmacist
    Social Worker

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Well, let's see...

Nurse - Healer Assistant, perhaps? Maybe a Matron could work too.

Psychologist/Psychiatrist - Since the root of these names are Greek, and since the wizarding world seems to like using Classical languages for things, I would imagine that they'd have the same name for this.

Wizarding Technology Developer - This isn't a profession I think would be very common in the wizarding world, but how about "Muggle Technology Adapter?" Wizards don't seem to be doing much developing - they just use Muggle contraptions (trains, radios, etc.) and put spells on them.

Plant Nursery Worker - Herbologist?

Architect - I don't really see any reason to change this. It's Latin based.

Pharmacist - I don't know, Medicinal Potioneer?

Social Worker - Family Disciplinarian? Ha ha! I have no idea...

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Nurse (not a Healer. I'm sure not all healthcare workers are Healers)
    That depends -- in the Muggle world, becoming a nurse takes less education and expertise than becoming a doctor. You can assume that the magic required to become a Healer is equally complex, but that's not necessarily the case. Nothing in the wizarding world seems to require the equivalent of a university degree -- just a lot of practice and expertise usually learned on the job.

If you do want to assume a separation between "full" Healers and medical workers who assist in caring for patients but don't have the knowledge or expertise necessary to be a Healer, then I'd suggest this would probably have been a relatively recent innovation. Therefore, a modern construct like "Medi-witch/Medi-wizard" seems appropriate.

Psychologist/Psychiatrist
    One would assume such a person uses Legilimency, and/or judicious use of Memory charms, Pensieves, and the like. I'd make it a Legilimency specialty. If you want to also have a parallel to the distinction between psychologists and psychiatrists in the Muggle world, perhaps "Legilimentist" (someone who uses Legilimency for therapeutic purposes) and "Empathist."

Wizarding Technology Developer
    I use "Artificer." You could also use, "Crafter," "Enchanter," or any of about a dozen other terms that have been used in various FRPGs.

Plant Nursery Worker
    They call the field "Herbology," so "Herbologist" would seem appropriate.

Architect
    "Architect" is an old word, so I don't see why wizards wouldn't use it. Maybe "Magical Architect" for someone who specializes in using magical materials or techniques to erect buildings.

Pharmacist
    I think this would fall under Potioneering.

Social Worker
    Wizard Welfare Worker?