Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Submissions In Queue' counter

James Jameson
    Maybe to shorten the queue, MNFF could hire "Queue Mods" that wouldn't do normal modding, they could just be assigned to look over chapters just like regular mods. I think that this would move the queue faster, and the mods wouldn't be as busy.

Just my two bits...

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    I'm not certain what you mean.

Every mod is a "queue mod". The priority is the archive first, the forums second. Being a mod means committing to meeting a certain quota of chapters modded in a particular time frame. The forums are extra.

If that's not what you meant, you'll have to explain further.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

I suggested a submissions in queue counter because I felt it would be the simplest thing to implement. As you said, Marauder by Midnight, an average wait time is difficult to impossible to script, as would be many separate counters for all categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder by Midnight
    In my personal opinion, it isn't a necessary function since it doesn't tell you how long your story is in queue.
    If we have just this number, most of us can calculate the average wait time ourselves. For example, if I see 35 stories posted in seven days, and assume a 50% approval/50% rejection ratio (with your experience you can tell me if this is approximate enough), I know ten stories a day are being modded (35 approved + 35 rejected = 70 / 7days). So if there are 40 submissions in queue when I add my story, I have about a four day wait to expect. If there are 100 before mine, I have a ten day wait. It's really about the same calculation your average wait time script would do. If we can write stories with complex characters and multiple subplots, we can do math!

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder by Midnight
    However, if other moderators believe that this is a feature that should be available to authors, I'll see if I can recode it to show up on the site.
    Even if every member posting has said they like the idea, a suggestion is really considered only if mods like it? Only mod's opinions actually count? Say it isn't so .

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

Potterphile12
    Quote Originally Posted by JCCollier
    Even if every member posting has said they like the idea, a suggestion is really considered only if mods like it? Only mod's opinions actually count? Say it isn't so .
    You're putting words in Beth's mouth and that's not fair. She didn't mean it like that at all. She was stating that she would take your concerns to the mods and they would vote like they always do. Mods always take into account users wishes. To say that only their opinions count is very short-sighted.

On the subject of both this thread and the one about having mods for every category, I think it's quite clear from what mods and ex-mods and people who have been part of the site for a long time have been saying: patience is important. The queue is one of the most overwhelming things I have ever seen. You truly have no idea what it's like until you see it. Bringing it down to its lowest common denominator (the base number of submissions) doesn't even really say anything about the queue. Sure, there are twn stories ahead of yours, but 5 of them could be 9000 words chapters, which are going to take a lot longer to mod than a simple one-shot. Also, a mod may have been working with an author for a long to try to better their story. This, again, will take a lot longer than a first time one-shot.

What I'm trying to say is that the queue is full of variables that have more impact on the modding time than simply the numbers. Yes, the amount of submissions does vary and plays a large part, but the simple fact is that not every story is made equal. They all take different amounts of time to mod. MNFF is almost unique in that the mods aren't just looking for grammatical errors; they're trying to make your story and our archive the best possible. If you're so concerned with wait times, then either go to an unmoderated queue or to one that only checks spelling and grammar.

I stand behind what my former colleagues said because I know that they care very much about MNFF and that they do a fantastic job. And it's not easy.

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

I did not mean to put words in her mouth. I was being facetious, thus the smiley face.

Quote Originally Posted by Potterphile12
    I stand behind what my former colleagues said because I know that they care very much about MNFF and that they do a fantastic job. And it's not easy.
    I am not discounting the important work the moderators do, or the great volunteer effort and devotion they put in to keep this site running. They are doing an excellent job and maintain a quality fanfiction site far superior to anything else out there. Why is suggesting a counter taken as an attack on mods that they all need to line up in defensive position against? Beth said herself that she had suggested an average wait time to programmers before, but that is was a difficult thing to code given the way the data is stored. I simply explained that given the base number, some of us could estimate it ourselves, and it is the simplest thing to code.

Yes I know there are many variables. I would never know whether the forty submissions ahead of mine might all be 100 word poems or all be 5000 word chapters. That is why it's called an 'average wait time', not an 'exact, we promise, precise to the minute with every variable calculated wait time'. We all know it is an estimate and not a guarantee.

Patience is important. In real life, I find myself more patient, not less, when I know how long a line I've chosen to step into. Let's not be afraid to display a number that says 'Yes, your mods are working hard to approve quality stories for the best fanfiction site on the web.'

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

James Jameson
    Pretty much, I meant that there could be mods JUST for the queue... just extra helpers.

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    James Jameson - we do have moderators who only moderate the queue. They have stepped in to the forums once or twice recently when we needed extra hands but their job is usually queue-based. The rest of us try to keep a majority slot in the queue, but obviously it depends what is happening at the time.

JCCollier - We didn't object to the suggestion of a counter. What we do object to is the replies that make it sound like we're rejecting these ideas to be vindictive - this is not the case. We like the idea, but it would be incredibly hard to implement and ultimately it serves no real purpose. The amount of fictions in the queue does not equal the amount of days it will take to moderate it due to the incredibly busy lives of all of our moderators, and the fact that every fiction is different causing the amount of time spent on moderating each chapter to vary.

A category can have three fictions in but take longer to clear than one with fifteen because they are more difficult chapters and sometimes require a second opinion, or further research into the area, or just a few readings to make sure a certain paragraph really does read well.

Our main objection to the responses in this thread, and the previous one about categories, is the complete lack of respect that the posters are showing the moderators. We try our hardest to get your fictions through the queue as quickly as possible, sometimes this is harder than others, but we really try our best and get very little in return. The validation rate on the site is not 50/50. I won't say what it is but I can tell you that there are far more rejections than that, and each rejection takes a lot more time than a validation as the moderator attempts to explain how the author can improve. These letters sometimes receive responses and the moderator can often find themselves helping an author to an almost beta-like level. We do this because we want to help you.

When I became a moderator, I was completely in love with the HP series. To tell the absolute truth, moderating has lessened that love by at least 80%. Reading and re-reading fictions that need work, or that are cliched plotlines gets old very, very fast and yet, we still do it.

I would say that our job is harder than that of most professional editors as we don't get the variety in our work. The characters are, 90% of the time, the same in each fiction, the plotlines perhaps 60% and the settings remain firmly rooted in the HP map of Britain.

We carry on because we love you guys, and to have people turn around and complain that we are not working fast enough, or that we don't put enough effort in is completely soul-destroying.

Thank you to everyone who has sent me messages over the past few days to say how much they appreciate the work we do. It really means a lot to all of the team and we do this for you.

However, moderators leave when they have had enough. Recently, this has hit us pretty hard. People are losing their love of HP and without Jo's books and the delayed movie, everything is slipping. We are trying to counter that with new ideas like Audiofictions, but we need your help and support. And your trust.

If we turn down an idea, it is not because we don't like it - but because it does not suit the site at this time. We will work on finding a way to implement it perhaps at some point, but for now we have other things that need our attention more.

You want a queue counter? Well, we'll do our best. But for now, I'll tell you that since we reopened the queue - we had 100 chapters hit our books in just over 24 hours. This number grows faster than we can cut it down. After all, it's a lot easier to submit a fiction than to moderate one.

Just please, bear with us, be patient and accept the queue times - or like I said in the other thread, your best option may lie elsewhere.