Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Ask the Navy III

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    You're Fraternising with the Enemy!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by harryxbella
    I requested the sorting quiz five days ago and i never got it, what do i do?
    Please be patient as they are replacing the old sorting quiz with a new one. We are working through a couple of kinks in the actual SortingHat account.

~Nicole
    Avvie is pic of my number one fans, Rielly and Mason! xoxo

Banner by SimplyBeing
    Read The Forum Rules! They're Etched in Stone . . .
    KC - My Friend Through Modship - Rest in Peace. <3

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Hm, honestly, I went to poke at the threads and none of them seem to hold an answer to my very dubious questions. Ha-ha.
    Hello, Jane. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Just wondering, is drabble basically a one-short story or is it merely an excerpt taken from an original long story?
    A drabble, also called a 'ficlet' on other sites, is a small story, typically 500 words or less. Unlike a one-shot on the archives, it's less of a complete story and more like a snapshot. Obviously, there isn't a lot of room to expand an idea in a drabble, but it's a fantastic exercise in learning to make the most out of fewer words.

If you'd like an example of a drabble, feel free to click on the 'Jess Drabbles' link in my profile. They can encompass just about any genre or era, and they're very good ways to improve your writing overall, even for longer pieces.

And what exactly are challenges or prompts? (Just confused, you see.)
    Challenges and prompts are set up to give drabblers (and in some cases, stories on the archives) a chance to write stories for house points. The Three Broomsticks is our drabbling hub, and at any given time, there is always some sort of drabble challenge going. Currently, the November Monthly: Ways of Seeing, is the only one running, but more are sure to come in the future.

You can also join in on the discussions in Remus's Reflections, which is currently about the life of a teenage witch at Hogwarts, and after the allotted discussion period is over, you will get a chance to write a drabble about the subject at hand for house points, as well.

Also, there are one-shot (single chaptered story) challenges being run in the Great Hall's Of Christmases Past, Present, and Future Challenge.

Also, I have been thinking about setting up a drabble thread. Can I just post excerpts which I have written (purely for the joy of writing) or are the drabble threads reserved solely for fulfilling the monthly challenges or Hogwarts writing classes (for example)?
    You are more than free to set up a drabble thread in The Three Broomsticks. Typically, your drabble thread is for, well, drabbles. Excerpts are not like drabbles, which are more encapsulated short stories, whereas excerpts are small chunks of larger ones, which may not give a reader the best idea of what the story is about in its entirety. However, you can use that space to put up new drabbles or anything that you might have that falls into that category.

Excerpts are more something that you might share in Excerpts of Murtlap, where other members will come in and give you constructive criticism on your work to help you improve your writing. Also, in your duelling thread, after you respond to a duel, you can post a new excerpt underneath your duel answers, so that way, you can keep fresher examples of what you can do.

I hope this answers your questions. If you still have further concerns, questions, etc., feel free to PM me for any clarifications.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

princessbipolar
    Hm, honestly, I went to poke at the threads and none of them seem to hold an answer to my very dubious questions. Ha-ha.

Just wondering, is drabble basically a one-short story or is it merely an excerpt taken from an original long story?

And what exactly are challenges or prompts? (Just confused, you see.)

Also, I have been thinking about setting up a drabble thread. Can I just post excerpts which I have written (purely for the joy of writing) or are the drabble threads reserved solely for fulfilling the monthly challenges or Hogwarts writing classes (for example)?

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Jane -

You may or may not have noticed but due to a time stamp issue we have been fighting for some time now, your question was answered above where you posted the question.

Sorry for the confusion.

~Nicole

Banner by SimplyBeing

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    So I was wandering about the forums. And I found a subforum in the Great Hall called the MNFF Newsletter. But there are no threads. So, I was wondering, what exactly is this forum? Is it for Mods only, perhaps?

Thank you,
    Megan

Edit: Oh, okay.
    Kinda really hiatus-y at present.
    And Julia, this avatar is really pretty. Je l'adore.

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Quote Originally Posted by msk8
    So I was wandering about the forums. And I found a subforum in the Great Hall called the MNFF Newsletter. But there are no threads. So, I was wondering, what exactly is this forum? Is it for Mods only, perhaps?

Thank you,
    Megan
    Megan -

From what I can see, they are trying to revive the idea so I suppose we just wait and see if they bring it to light. It would probably, as a planning forum, remain invisible to you unless you were involved it the process.

~Nicole

Banner by SimplyBeing

Hiya24
    Sorry if this question has been answered before, but can you join a group, such as SBBC or the Students Group, before you get sorted? Thanks.

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Hiya24: Most all major forums require users to be sorted before joining. (but being sorted and placed with your House is half the fun! Look at the great support group people have after that!)

~Nicole

Banner by SimplyBeing

werewolf_sympathiser
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this as I haven't been on the site for a few years. Basically, I came back on after a prolonged hiatus and discovered I had to re-register with the beta boards (thankfully I'm still on the main MNFF site so all my fics are still stored!). I have 2 questions.

1) Regarding these boards, how do I get myself sorted? I vaguely remember when I first joined years ago there was some sort of quiz but I haven't a clue where I would find that now!

2) I have read that if I'm struggling with html formatting, I should have a look at the tags page. I have looked at it but I'm still completely bemused. Basically, I'm a little rusty on submitting and my latest chapter was rejected because I need to double line space my paragraphs. I used the <*p> tag (without the star) for every paragraph and <*br> for every new line so am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I could've sworn that when I last sued the site it would automatically put spaces in where you'd left a space, but I also remember using the tags. So if anyone can let me know how to make it a double space, please let me know!

Sorry, I know this is long but I'm way out of practice!!

Thanks you

*Cat*

Slytherin Mom Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    Cat: The HTML tag for inserting a line break is <hr>

Many mods will suggest you double space (meaning to hit 'enter' twice) between paragraphs because if you simply copy and paste your submission, it often gets tweaked by the site and squished into a massive individual paragraph. That's why I will ALWAYS suggest authors preview their submission once it is pasted on there to make sure the spacing is correct.

If you need more help with your coding, feel free to send me a PM.

~Nicole

Banner by SimplyBeing