Thread: Helga Hufflepuff

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it

Helga Hufflepuff

Well, I searched and searched and I couldn’t find a thread for our dear Helga Hufflepuff!

HP Lexicon states this on Helga:
    According to JKR's website, Hufflepuff was particularly famous for her dexterity at food-related Charms. Many recipes traditionally served at Hogwarts feasts originated with Hufflepuff (JKR). Her Famous Wizard card states that "[s]he brought people from different walks of life together to help build Hogwarts and was loved for her charming ways." (fw12). Another accomplishment of Hufflepuff's was her concern for the treatment of House-elves in the Wizarding world. She made Hogwarts a refuge for them, and as a result they were treated more kindly there than elsewhere (PC122, PC130).
    So, let’s start out with some questions because I’m thinking of writing a fic on her, and want to see your opinions…

What do you think Helga’s childhood was like?
    How did she meet the other Founders?
    How did she find out about her magic?
    What do you think her personality was like (beyond just loyal and the other Hufflepuff traits)?
    How do you think she feels about how her House is toady?
    She was from “valley broad” according to a Sorting song. What do you think her childhood home looked like?
    How do you think she obtained her famous cup?

Enjoy!
    Mapoi

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hello Mapoi

Thought I'd attempt to answer these questions.

I imagine that she was the eldest of several children. I think they were probably quite poor but very happy. I think she looked after her siblings. I imagine them exploring the countryside together and having lots of adventures.

I imagine she met Rowena Ravenclaw first- I think they were supposed to be best friends but I don't know how they met- Rowena was from Scotland and she was from Wales so perhaps one of them went to the others country. I imagine Rowena was touring Wales and found Helga and recognised a kindred spirit- someone who was interested in education like her. Maybe they decided to tour England and that's where they met Godric and Salazar.

I think she knew from an early age that she was magic- maybe she silencio'd one of her siblings who was crying or she created something wonderful in the kitchen whilst helping her mum.

What do you think her personality was like (beyond just loyal and the other Hufflepuff traits)? Cheerful, calm, accepting, friendly, trusting but also a good judge of character.

How do you think she feels about how her House is toady? I think she'd be happy with her house. After all she decreed she'd teach anyone and although she probably wouldn't like Zacharius Smith she'd be overjoyed with Tonks and Cedric. I don't think she'd be bothered about Hufflepuff not winning things- that's not important to her.

She was from “valley broad” according to a Sorting song. What do you think her childhood home looked like? Valley broad is Wales, I think, so a small house but maybe extended like The Burrow. Cliched chickens and pigs living in the garden etc etc. Farm territory probably. Oh and a river very near by. And a badger set.

How do you think she obtained her famous cup? OOOH Excellent question. Okay I think it's connected to the Welsh world she came from so something celtic. She would have had it made for her using Welsh gold (there is such a thing) to her own design. Or maybeher parents designed it for her. Perhaps her father was a horsesmith and could fashion metal.

Hope that helps.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

bling_baby

I imagine that she was the eldest of several children. I think they were probably quite poor but very happy. I think she looked after her siblings. I imagine them exploring the countryside together and having lots of adventures.
    I agree with this completely. She generally feels like the least snobby of the four as she is the one who was willing to
    Said Hufflepuff, "I'll teach the lot
    And treat them just the same." (OP11)
    Finally, I feel that she would have had a traditional background. As she was very familiar with cooking and generally a loyal person, I feel that she would have been brought up as a close to a lady as her parents could make her.

I'm not too sure. She hardly seems the type to just waltz up to two random males. I should imagine that she might have come across them by accident as well. Apart from this, I don't think I could give an in depth idea of what actually happened there.

This would just be like any other witch. Since her family was pureblood, they would be fully aware of magic by now. She would have even know that she had powers before she actually happened.

What do you think her personality was like (beyond just loyal and the other Hufflepuff traits)?

As I said, I'm thinking that she is very traditional. However, I do feel that she is passionate. Some mistake Helga as the weakest but it takes a pretty extraordinary witch to create such an institute as Hogwarts. Also, she's a very fair person, so she would act as a mediator between the other founders alot of the time, so she is a very good judge.

How do you think she feels about how her House is today?

I think she would be very pleased. Even though there are a few that do not seem as likeable as expected (like Zacharius Smith), all the members of her house generally live up to the expectations, the best example - in my opinion - of this being Tonks, who could not stand the thought of her husband fighting without her.

She was from “valley broad” according to a Sorting song. What do you think her childhood home looked like?

Valley broad is Wales, I think, so a small house but maybe extended like The Burrow. Cliched chickens and pigs living in the garden etc etc. Farm territory probably. Oh and a river very near by. And a badger set.
    I agree with this. I think it would also be in a small hamelt, since she seems like a very sociable person.

How do you think she obtained her famous cup?

This is an interesting idea. Since we have agreed that she wasn't that wealthy, we can also accept that it was obtained after she became a founder. We can also assume that she got it as a present. I think this because she wouldn't really care about items of value as much as other things. Also, she is a very helpful so there's no doubt that she would have Order of Merlin, first class among other awards. Maybe the goblet was made in her honour.