Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Formalized procedure for becoming a "trusted author"?

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    I'm afraid I have to agree that this site is too large to pair every single author with a beta. We can encourage you to find one, and we have a very good Beta hiring service here on the boards where you can find someone who really suits your writing style, but we have far too many authors and betas to get to know the skills of every individual.

It would be amazing to trust the work of our betas so completely that we don't have to read the fictions, but I'm afraid it simply wouldn't work on a site like ours.

That isn't to say that we don't trust and respect our betas - you all do an amazing job and it is very clear when a fiction has had the advantage of a good beta alongside it's author. But even beta's can slip up, and our site is a mixed ability group, with people writing their first fictions, or their thirty-first. We aim to help our authors through our rejections, our forums and our betas and in my many years on this site - I've seen it happen, and I'm very proud of the service we offer.

Our selection of validated authors have truly worked so hard to gain that status. We award it to our authors who have proven themselves many times over. They have the highest standards about their own work and we have 'validated' them because they moderate their own work.

Again, I stress that if you wish to become a validated author - just take care over your own work. Make it so that we don't need to moderate you anymore and you'll find yourself being validated. Otherwise, be glad that you've got a team of hard-working people to help you achieve your best.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I'm just going to put in my two cents.

First of all, everyone, even PI betas, make mistakes. It is human nature, no one is perfect, which is why I think Roxy and the other mods are right when they say they still have to read through the stories. Not only that, but how does a potential PI candidate practice if they don't have work too? Therefore, I don't think the site should say only PI betas can deal with stories. It would be strenuous for everyone involved.

Not only that, but pairing betas takes away the author/beta's free choice. That is one thing I love about the beta process on MNFF. An author and a beta can choose who and what they would work best with.

Also, I know with most authors (definitely myself) their writing is their baby and they just wouldn't want another person submitting it for them.

In short, that is a lot, A LOT, of work for a beta, and a lot of pressure. As a PI beta myself, I can say that I would not like a system like that. Betas, mods, and authors all have real lives too. I think MNFF is on the right track with that and the trusted author system. It is definitely a privilege and should be judged cautiously.

I hope that didn't sound rude in any way, and I apologize if it did.

[hugs]

xox
    nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

leahsm2
    I think that this is something that the mods allow to people who earn it, and to ask for it, excuse my language, but is "sucky". You receive it if you deserve it. I can't even fathom thinking this is negotiable, because it shouldn't be. Geez!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by leahsm2
    I think that this is something that the mods allow to people who earn it, and to ask for it, excuse my language, but is "sucky". You receive it if you deserve it. I can't even fathom thinking this is negotiable, because it shouldn't be. Geez!
    Who exactly are you referring to here?

No one ever asked to be handed Trusted Author status by fiat (and indeed, as the OP, I was merely asking how the decision is made and whether the process might be made more transparent).

I accepted the mods' answer, and have not commented since.

I'm not liking the implied impugnment of my motives, nor the tendency to beat up anyone who throws an idea out there, just because it turns out to be unfeasible.

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    Inverarity - Nowhere in the above post does it say you asked for "trusted" status. Leah simply stated that asking for this would be wrong. It was not an accusation and it was not directed at you in any way.

Everyone:

I am fed up with the discussions on all of these suggestions. They are suggestions and will be discussed and decided upon by the moderators. If the moderators reply and answer the suggestion, that should be the end of discussion.

There is no need to argue on any of these threads and I would appreciate it if, in future, no negative comments were made on peoples individual opinions. You may state your own opinion in a constructive way that will further help the moderators make their decision, but every member of these boards is entitled to have their own opinion and so, no one will be allowed to take that away by claiming anyone is wrong.

This thread should've finished when the first moderator posted.

No more discussion please.