Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formalized procedure for becoming a "trusted author"?

Inverarity

Formalized procedure for becoming a "trusted author"?

On some other forums, there are procedures for becoming a "trusted author" who can upload chapters without waiting for modly approval. Usually it's something like submitting X chapters that have not needed revision or correction, with some discretion on the part of the mods (.e.g., if some of those chapters are "borderline," the mods might want to see a little more consistency).

My understanding is that MNFF does have "trusted authors," though I have no idea who has attained this lofty status. I also understand that it's pretty much assigned on an ad hoc basis. I am wondering, when there may be half a dozen mods assigned to a given category, how the mods remember how consistently any one author has been able to write to MNFF standards.

More trusted authors would mean shorter queues. This site has one of the highest standards for validating chapters that I have seen, which I appreciate (as much as I gnash my teeth when one of my chapters gets shelled for typos, a non-italicized spell incantation, or thick Orkney dialog ), but it's got to be a huge amount of work for the mods. Are there really so few authors able to avoid getting rejected consistently, or would it be possible to preserve the site's standards while reducing the number of chapters the mods have to personally read?

Kcharles
    I think that the only trusted authors are mods or past mods. I personaly think it's an ok idea, I think that it might have problems with it though (what if a little sibling/other evil friend comes onto your account and submits something horible, even though that wouldn't likely happen)

I think it's a good idea though, but it might have problems and I'm not sure if it will be accepted.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I think this is a really good idea. So often in contests, there is a rule which says that if you're a validated author you should do such and such a thing but it also says that if you're not one you shouldn't ask about it. I've always wanted to know how people achieve this status. It would be good if there was a set out procedure.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Ultimate Cosmic Power Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Aunt Marge Makes A Better Blimpe...
    We already have a formal procedure for the creation of Validated authors. Our "trusted" authors are more than just mods and ex-mods, but they are nominated by moderators and then confirmed by three others. Our system is fair and organised, it just goes on behind the scenes. The list is relatively large, though not huge, but we see this as a reflection of our standards. Our VAs are the best of the best, and they have earned the status.

If you wish to join them, you simply have to perfect your fictions.

Marauder by Midnight
    To add on to what Roxy Black said, you'd be surprised by how much a mod can remember from modding in the queue. While you can't expect us to remember that the color of Lily's dress robes were ruby in the previous chapter and periwinkle in this chapter, I can assure you that we generally know who's a consistently good author and who's...well, not.

I know there are some faults in our system though and I hope that we can iron them out to produce a more standardized way of validating an author

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy Black
    We already have a formal procedure for the creation of Validated authors.

If you wish to join them, you simply have to perfect your fictions.
    I never knew MNFF had 'Validated authors'. Wouldn't part of a 'formal procedure' be having somewhere on the site that an author like Inverarity can read the specific rules of how to become a Validated author and know what they must work on to meet the requirement? Could you direct us to where you document your standards? Because just 'perfect your fictions' is rather vague for a 'formal procedure'.

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

Love_is_4ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy Black
    They are nominated by moderators and then confirmed by three others. Our system is fair and organised, it just goes on behind the scenes.
    JCCollier, I think Roxy answered everything just there. If you're good enough to be a validated author, mods would notice you, and if more than a couple of mods consider you worthy you'll be. . .

~ Samarie

Nundu
    Would a formal beta system not relieve some of the pressure on the mods? Other highly respected HP fanfic sites have a system in place that requires all fictions to be reviewed by a set of beta readers. Only after the author and beta reader (who must pass a very stringent exam to be so designated) have worked to resolve all spelling/grammar/plot and pacing issues can the story move forward.

I know the mods work very hard to catch this sort of thing, but just this week I attempted to read a story posted in which the grammar and spelling were horrendous! The plot had some merit, but the pacing was poor. Perhaps the story has improved, but I couldn't even get through the first chapter. Work with a good beta could make this story a readable piece of fan fiction.

Moderators have enough on their plates just moderating a forum! Betas could lessen their load and improve the quality of fan fiction.

Love_is_4ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Nundu
    Would a formal beta system not relieve some of the pressure on the mods? Other highly respected HP fanfic sites have a system in place that requires all fictions to be reviewed by a set of beta readers. Only after the author and beta reader (who must pass a very stringent exam to be so designated) have worked to resolve all spelling/grammar/plot and pacing issues can the story move forward.

I know the mods work very hard to catch this sort of thing, but just this week I attempted to read a story posted in which the grammar and spelling were horrendous! The plot had some merit, but the pacing was poor. Perhaps the story has improved, but I couldn't even get through the first chapter. Work with a good beta could make this story a readable piece of fan fiction.

Moderators have enough on their plates just moderating a forum! Betas could lessen their load and improve the quality of fan fiction.
    The boards have section where you can find betas advetise their services, and there are betas that are PI accredited, meaning they are the best of the best. To be PI accredited, they had to pass a complex exam that test their abilities in betaing.

The mods always ask [read beg] that every author use at least one beta in their stories before submitting it, because two heads think better than one, and when one writes something, the mind tends to jump the simplest errors.

~ Samarie

Nundu
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_is_4ever
    The mods always ask [read beg] that every author use at least one beta in their stories before submitting it.
    Yes, and if a beta was required then the moderators would know the story was ready for posting when it went in queue. The moderators wouldn't have to spend all that time reading the stories, because the only stories to arrive in queue would be those that have already been vetted by a beta.