Thread: Durmstrang

wildchild

Durmstrang

Does anybody know what Durmstrang is like?
    I just know that it loves the dark Arts, and its in a cold place.
    I need some background info for my character who transferred to Hogwarts
    Thanks in advance to those who reply.
    Sara.

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    Hey! I’ve got some info! I found the part where Krum is talking to Hermione (GOF hardcover American edition chapter 23 “The Yule Ball” page 417)

Main Points:
    -4 floors
    -Fires lit for only magical purposes
    -Large grounds
    -In winter there is very little daylight
    -Lakes and mountains
    -In summer they go flying every day

Hope I helped!
    Mapoi

Rome
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    Hey! I’ve got some info! I found the part where Krum is talking to Hermione (GOF hardcover American edition chapter 23 “The Yule Ball” page 417)

Main Points:
    -4 floors
    -Fires lit for only magical purposes
    -Large grounds
    -In winter there is very little daylight
    -Lakes and mountains
    -In summer they go flying every day

Hope I helped!
    Mapoi
    Whoa ... I was gonna do exactly that! xDD

Anyway, here's some more info:
    -The school has existed for at least 700 years when they began participating in the Triwizard Tournament.
    -Located somewhere in northern Europe, possibly in Russia or in Scandinavia.
    -Durmstrang students wear heavy furs with blood-red robes.
    -Although Durmstrang teaches the Dark Arts as part of its curriculum, it apparently does not allow magical experimentation or torture, only limiting its study to theory.
    -The school is Unplottable
    -Durmstrang does not admit Muggle-borns
    -Former Headmaster Igor Karkaroff was in the service of Lord Voldemort as a Death Eater, but managed to escape punishment in Azkaban by providing the Ministry of Magic with the names of his co-conspirators.

/.Rome

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    The way I see it, Durnstrang may be an international school, unlike Hogwarts and Beauxbatons, which only admit students from the U.K. and France respectively. Durmstrang's students, however, seem to come from all over the place: Bulgaria, Germany, and even Britain. And none of these countries have climates cold enough to warrant fur being part of the dress code. This is more than likely a more privately funded institution whose main objective is to offer parents an alternative education option for their children.

This also leads me to believe that Germany and Bulgaria may have other school of magic located within their borders. Otherwise, where would all the Muggle-borns go? It is illogical to believe these countries simply don't have any.

What about everyone else? What are your opinions on this subject?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!