Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Originally Posted by Carole

There are some restaurants called Saravana Bhavan.
    Er- yeah, that's what I meant . Okay, then, I guess that should be the right option because Sharavana Bhavan serves Chinese too. So I can make my characters have whatever they like. And Carole, if you've never been there, you must try it. I hate South Indian cuisine (no, no it's not bad! It's only because I have it so often... I'm sort of bored of it), but at Sharavana Bhavan, I loved it a lot. Try the Plain Dosai if you ever go there. It's lovely.

Thank you for the info on admissions!

Last question: How long does an average Christmas leave go on for (Jo never mentioned that in the books...)? Here we have it for two weeks, but we get a month off for Diwali because that's our main festival. Since Christmas is like the main festival there, do you have a longer holiday? And what about Easter?

Thank you!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Christmas and Easter holidays are usually about two weeks each. In the summer it is six weeks, and anything else only one.

Hope this helps!

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by inspirations
    Christmas and Easter holidays are usually about two weeks each. In the summer it is six weeks, and anything else only one.

Hope this helps!
    Although they differ for parts of the country etc. Hogwarts would have around 3 weeks for easter and xmas and 8 weeks for Summer I think =]

State schools are generally shorter.

~Josh

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Although they differ for parts of the country etc. Hogwarts would have around 3 weeks for easter and xmas and 8 weeks for Summer I think =]

State schools are generally shorter.

~Josh
    Only private schools would ever get holidays that long, so it depends whether you class Hogwarts as private or not.

Otherwise it's 1 week in October, 2 at christmas (though sometimes less depending on which day of the week christmas falls on), 1 in February, 2 at Easter (March/April time - in England, the holiday changes depending on when Easter falls, but in Scotland they have the same two weeks every year and then have a long weekend at actual Easter, 1 in May (though some primary schools have two) and 6 in the summer, usually starting around the 20th July until the very beginning of Sept (also those primary schools that take 2 weeks in May have only 5 weeks in the summer.)

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by coolh5000
    Only private schools would ever get holidays that long, so it depends whether you class Hogwarts as private or not.

Otherwise it's 1 week in October, 2 at christmas (though sometimes less depending on which day of the week christmas falls on), 1 in February, 2 at Easter (March/April time - in England, the holiday changes depending on when Easter falls, but in Scotland they have the same two weeks every year and then have a long weekend at actual Easter, 1 in May (though some primary schools have two) and 6 in the summer, usually starting around the 20th July until the very beginning of Sept (also those primary schools that take 2 weeks in May have only 5 weeks in the summer.)
    Yes, but you have to pay for Howgwarts I believe + the activities in the book pretty much make it look like they have holidays this long (they also get no half term, so it's likely they'll then get longer holidays)

~Josh

CakeorDeath
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Yes, but you have to pay for Howgwarts I believe + the activities in the book pretty much make it look like they have holidays this long (they also get no half term, so it's likely they'll then get longer holidays)

~Josh
    Do you have to pay for Hogwarts? I never got that impression. After all the Wizarding world must have a tax system to fund the Minstery so why wouldn't they use it to fund Hogwarts. The majority of wizards and witches would have gone there so I don't think they would begrudge the funding.

ETA: Sorry for off topicness.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    I don't think a discussion whether Hogwarts is paid or not belongs in this thread...

~BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Azhure
    Hi guys!

I've just got a simple question... What is a swimsuit called over there in England? Over here in Australia we have so many names for them that it's not funny...

Thanks!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I would say: swimming costume for a one-piece and then either bikini or tankini for a two-piece depending on the kind of top they have.

Hope that helps!

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Vous parlez franšais? Slytherin
    Filch is a Squib!
    I have a quick question, but I'm afraid it's going to look a bit dumb... so here I go. When we greet someone in Canada, we have the custom to kiss them of both cheeks, if it's two women greetin each other or a man and a woman. Do you do that in Great Britain, or would it look awkward for my characters to do that when they see each other? I heard it's more of a French thing to do, even if we do that a lot in North America. If it's not the usual thing to do, then how would you greet the person?

Banner by bittersweet_lullaby! Let's go back in time!