Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    If they were going to eat at a nice restaurant, it would be unlikely that they would get fish and chips. That's more of a Saturday take-away kind of meal. At a traditional restaurant you would be more likely to get some sort of meat: lamb, chicken, pork, steak etc in a sauce and with various types of potatos/veg.

But as you've decided to use Scoffers, I can be even more specific for you and tada:

http://www.scoffersrestaurant.co.uk/scoffing_dinner.htm

A link to their menu. If you scroll down a bit then on the left side you can choose to see the meal you want (lunch, dinner or weekend menus)

Hope that helps!

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Josh
    Okay. If you want to take someone to a restaurant, you'll never have a British dish unless it's Rick Steins. We normally have things like pasta, soups or meats for a main course at lunch. In the home though, easy things like jacket potatoes or the likes. Hope I helped,

~Josh

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Well if they're eating at the resturant then anything really.

Pasta dishes are popular, risottos etc

If you want something British then a meat and two vegetable plus potatoes is probably the best.

Steak in some kind of sauce (Steak Diane perhaps) Rack of lamb, Pork chops. You're bound to find a complete roast dinner on there too. Breast of Chicken wrapped in Parma ham.

As for vegetables- evrything these days seems to be served on a 'bed of spinach' or with baby carrots, creamed parsnip puree, sauted potatoes.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hmm... I went through the menu at Scoffers... so, is all of that advisable for take-out too? Or are there special dishes that are enjoyed as take out?

Ron and Hermione will be dining at the restaurant of course, but my OC will be going there to get herself a take-out.

And as I said, no fish! She'll kill me if I make her character even touch fish...

You guys are great! Thank you so much!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginny Weasley Potter
    Hmm... I went through the menu at Scoffers... so, is all of that advisable for take-out too? Or are there special dishes that are enjoyed as take out?

Ron and Hermione will be dining at the restaurant of course, but my OC will be going there to get herself a take-out.

And as I said, no fish! She'll kill me if I make her character even touch fish...

You guys are great! Thank you so much!
    First thing, in England it's a take-away (if we're referring to the same thing* generally if you walk to get a take away that you plan on eating on the move, then pizza or fish and chips are the main choices, if to take home to eat, things like Chinese or Indians are very popular. Most restaurants won't give a take-away option unless it's fast food (such as Pizza express) and any decent one wouldn't.

~Josh

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    No you can't get take-out from anywhere like Scoffers. If you need the take-out option the I suggest you have them going to an Indian or Chinese restaurant because they serve take-away as well.

If you want to keep the Scoffers option then the only other solution is that she starts dining there and doesn't finish her food. In that case the restaurant 'might' offer to parcel it up for her so she can finish it at home.

I've seen this happen when people order steak and things and can't finish - they usually say they want to take it home for theit dog - ha ha.

If I come up with something better then I'll let you know.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

Quick and easy quesiton [and I feel ridiculous for not knowing this] - what are subways called in England? Metros? Are subways even common in Britain?

Thanks!

EDIT: I really shouldn't be surprised at the source of my answer. Why I posted in here in the first place, I have no idea. >.>

Anyway, yes, we're referring to a train that goes underground. Thanks, Sarah! [And Suya, whose skills at seeing pretty signs know no bounds.]

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

Potterphile12
    Quote Originally Posted by lily_evans34
    Quick and easy quesiton [and I feel ridiculous for not knowing this] - what are subways called in England? Metros? Are subways even common in Britain?

Thanks!
    So I'm not British (>.>) but don't they call the subway the underground over there? I've seen the pretty signs. Yes, this apparently makes me an expert on British subways.

rita_skeeter
    Ok, I am British, but I need to check the American definition of a subway. >> Because we have things called subways over here, but they don't sound like the same thing!

We're talking a train that goes underground, yes?

In which case - yes, you'll hear people referring to the London one as the Underground or the Tube. A metro, in my experience, can run above ground. It's like a train, but propelled differently. I hope I'm making sense in this! Anyway, as far as I know, the only place with an underground network is London, but there are several places with Metros, above ground.

If you need clarification, you know where to find me.

And just as an addition, a "subway" in England is a path that goes under a main road, which you can walk along to avoid crossing at the busiest points. People tend to avoid them at night - they can be dodgy places!

Azhure
    Hey guys! I just have one question...

How old are children when they first go to school - on average? Six? Seven?

Oh, and one other... what is that school called? Here in Australia it's known as Primary School, but what about in England?

Thanks!

~~Azhure~~