Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

CakeorDeath
    Edit by mudbloodproud: Link removed. Please do not link to outside webpages.

You might want to search on youtube for 'Michael McIntyre - Live at the Apollo', he does a great bit on the tube and how crowded it can get.

Heather25x
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13
    Sadly most teenagers here have the opinion that Canada is a state in America.

Believe me, a shocking amount of people in my Geography class thought that. Then again, one of them did point at India and said, "that's London, isn't it?", so I guess I'm just is the thick group for some reason.

~Evie
    I seriously have to object to this. Just because one class in all of England think that Canada is a state in America doesn't mean "most teenagers" do. I have NEVER come across anyone in all my life who would hear the name "Canada" and think it was an American state. I certainly don't, and I'm not the brightest bulb in the packet. Some people in my general studies class thought that euthenasia was a country but that doesn't mean every teenager does, right?

Post-Bush we've moved on from laughing at you about politics and are now once again soley focused on the issue of your butchering of our language!
    Would you mind explaining how Americans are butchering our language? Would you also mind explaining why it's OUR language? It's the most widely spoken language in the world, so are you saying because we had it first others aren't allowed it and aren't allowed to adapt it to their own accent? And I don't happen to know anyone who LAUGHED at America because of their politics. We had Tony Blair in charge! You think we should laugh at Bush when we had Blair? I can't believe in this day and age people still think like that - that American is BUTCHERING our language and that English is OUR language! America has made the English language their own and adapted it to fit their accents and culture. They don't say it's ours, it's theirs as well, so they're not butchering it if they treat it as their own.

I seriously object to a lot of the stuff said in this thread. How is talking about stereotypes useful? Someone please explain. We all know our stereotypes and what everyone else thinks of our countries. All posting it here is doing is making the stereotype more apparent and annoying/offending people.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    The reason we were posting stereotypes was because Molly asked us a question about how the British people perceive Americans, Australians and Canadians.

I'm sure no offence was intended and indeed you pointed out the hypocracy of the fact that while we were laughing at Bush, we had Blair in charge. We currently have a government that is the laughing stock of the world in a country that's supposed to be a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather25x
    Would you mind explaining how Americans are butchering our language? Would you also mind explaining why it's OUR language? It's the most widely spoken language in the world, so are you saying because we had it first others aren't allowed it and aren't allowed to adapt it to their own accent?
    Yeah I agree, but certain sections of our society (namely old school courtiers or journalists) still consider it the ENGLISH language and don't even consider that it's British. No-one here is saying that it shouldn't be adapted. I think the comment was made very much tongue in cheek. The English language has evolved- totally- over many centuries, but some people object to Americanised spellings (color/colour etc).
    I object to text speak, which isn't American just Universal and awful (although useful when you want to send a quick text.)

I don't think any offence was meant and I hope none was taken. We were simply answering a question that was asked.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

accioquill
    Hey! I love HP but I still have a stupid question ( yes I'm blonde but don't go there!), how does Hagrid's accent work? I'm American and I know how slang works over here, but slang on the other side of the Pond is a little foggy for me. Okay, understatement, a lot foggy for me! He uses abriviations often and my beta tells me i'm not getting them in the right places, (she isn't British either) I think I'm putting abbriviation on the right words, just not the right places IN the words! Can someone please help me out with this? If you could PM me some info that would totally rock! (There I go jabbering in Americanish stuff) If there are any sites that could posibly help I'd love them! Hagridslang.com e.t.c. Joke! Lol I was kidding, but you get the whole site point i'm trying to make, right? Anyways please help me out here!
    *winks at computer screen*

apollo13
    I seriously have to object to this. Just because one class in all of England think that Canada is a state in America doesn't mean "most teenagers" do. I have NEVER come across anyone in all my life who would hear the name "Canada" and think it was an American state. I certainly don't, and I'm not the brightest bulb in the packet. Some people in my general studies class thought that euthenasia was a country but that doesn't mean every teenager does, right?
    Hey hey, I'm a teenager too! I only meant it to show that Canada does not come up very often in teenager's conversations here, and there is a distinct lack of knowledge about it. It's sad, but there are a lot of very ignorant teenagers about these days, and I was speaking purely from experience.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, although I felt a little like I was being attacked there. o.O

Accioquill, I can't be sure, but I believe Hagrid has a Somerset accent. Don't quote me on that though. I would post some links to a couple of accent websites, but I don't think we're allowed to do that in here anymore, so try google, but in stead of putting .com, put .co.uk to get British websites come up first.
    The best thing though would be to get a second, British beta, just to go over things looking for Americanisms and to help with the accent. I'd offer, but I'm sawmped at the moment - but as you can see we have lots of helpful Brits here.

~Evie

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    C'mon, Heather, no worries! These things they have been saying have been amazing material for my stories. I'll admit, it can be a bit insulting at times, but it is a two way street. For every American stereotype, there's a British one that's even worse.

But c'mon guys, this all good.

Besides, when it comes to languages, just say what I say: The British lost their right to look down on our English when they started handing out the smallpox blankets. (ends a conversation fast!)

But just remember guys, I am kidding. It's all about the humo(u)r, after all!

And so this post is not considered spam, I actually do have a few more questions about London.

I heard about Oyster cards. Where they around in 1998?

What kind of baked goods would one find in a British bakery? I'm pretty sure the cream and jelly-filled dounut and the conolli aren't there.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Molly - I'm fairly sure Oyster cards were not around in 1998 *checks a Search Engine* - it was 2003. So, your person would have to use a ticket machine or speak to an actual person behind the counter. They could pay with cash or credit card (or debit card). It's very similar to US subways (certainly the NY ones).
    Bakeries - If you're talking about the same year, yes you would get jam (not jelly, our jelly is your jello ) filled doughnuts (not donuts ) and cream filled as well. Lots of cream cakes, breads, rolls. Things like bread pudding are sold (bread pudding is bread, spice sultanas, egg and sugar). In London you could also get a sponge cake covered in icing called Tottenham Cake. I've not heard of conolli. You'll also find a lot of Danish pastries, croissants and chocolate brownie type things. They also sell pies, slices of pizza, cornish pasties and sausage rolls. This can be served hot or cold.

Accioquill - Hagrid's accent is West Country/ Somerset. Your best bet is really listening to Robbie Coltrane. Although he's Scottish, he does a very good job with Hagrid's voice. It tends to be a roughened accent though so 'fer' instead of 'for'; 'yer' instead of 'you'. If you look at the books and listen to the films that should help. Coltrane really does say the words the way JK Rowling wrote them.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Heather25x
    Accioquill - Hagrid's accent is West Country/ Somerset. Your best bet is really listening to Robbie Coltrane. Although he's Scottish, he does a very good job with Hagrid's voice. It tends to be a roughened accent though so 'fer' instead of 'for'; 'yer' instead of 'you'. If you look at the books and listen to the films that should help. Coltrane really does say the words the way JK Rowling wrote them.
    When I read the books I always hear Robbie Coltrane's version of the accent, the kind of Somerset accent, too. Maybe you'd be best off with a beta for whom Britishisms are a strong point? That way you can be sure the accent is right on track.

C'mon, Heather, no worries! These things they have been saying have been amazing material for my stories. I'll admit, it can be a bit insulting at times, but it is a two way street. For every American stereotype, there's a British one that's even worse.
    I wasn't saying it wasn't a two way street. Everywhere has horrible stereotypes and I'm really sick of hearing about them every day. It's not just this one time that they get discussed, in every Being British class and thread there's a huge discussion about stereotypes and sometimes, like now, they are helpful for people's stories but other times they just cause arguments and rifts between people. I thought one of the main points of MNFF was for everyone of different cultures to be able to come together and write about one of their favourite books? It's very hard to do that when the differences between countries are always being discussed. It just annoys me because people are totally blunt about it. Yes, we all know stereotypes are rarely true, but I find that when they're always being discussed it makes people more aware of them. I'm just saying this because I know I'm not the only one it bothers. Some people are really tactless when talking about their opinions of other countries and a lot of people end up really offended.

What kind of baked goods would one find in a British bakery? I'm pretty sure the cream and jelly-filled dounut and the conolli aren't there.
    Ah, bakeries. *drools* You'll get a lot of picnic-snack foods like pork pies and sausage rolls, and also crumpets. If you don't know exactly what the first two are Google will give you recipes and things Dessert-wise, the bakery near where I live does a lot of biscuits and cookies, and lots of victoria cakes and carrot cakes etc. You might also find gingerbread men, muffins, jam tarts, hot-cross buns doughnuts (usually with jam inside and sugar on top), chocolate brownies, scones and shortbread. Again, if you don't know exactly what they are or look like then Google has plenty of pictures and recipes. I have no idea what conolli is lol (hey, it might be in some bakeries, but I've never come across it, although there is a chance I've eaten it without knowing what it is :P), but there are plenty of cream and jam filled doughnuts around.

Okay, that really made me hungry, lol.

Amortentia x
    Okay, I have a major plot bunny alert so I need you Brits to help me

Seamus Finnegan is quite a stereotypical Irish lad - the name alone, the freckles, the habit of setting things on fire and his touchiness when you mention his mother.

What do you think of when you think of Ireland and Irish people?

I'm Irish but it's okay, you can be as stereotypical as you like. I have an idea of Seamus remembering past summers spent in *supersupersuper* cliche Ireland but now that he returns for his stag night at twenty-odd years of age, he finds it very much changed - i.e., it's what Ireland is actually like.

I need ideas, so what do you immediately think of when I mention:

Irish food
    Irish music
    Irish past-times
    Irish sports
    Irish accents
    Irish sayings
    Irish names
    Irish looks
    Irish parties
    Irish culture
    Ireland itself
    Irish politics
    Irish views on other people
    Irish celebrities
    Irish books
    Irish men
    Irish women
    Ireland's place in history
    Ireland's place in the world
    etc, etc, etc.

Slan go foill, mo chairde, agus go raibh maith agaibh!

A chara, Emma

apollo13
    It's not just this one time that they get discussed, in every Being British class and thread there's a huge discussion about stereotypes and sometimes, like now, they are helpful for people's stories but other times they just cause arguments and rifts between people.
    As I wrote the original Being British class and you were a student for at least one of the runs, you should have said if it had offended you. I included the stereo-types lesson because there are stereo-types, they do come up in fanfiction and they can be helpful or they can degrade the story. Talking about them and clarifying them was an easy introduction into the lesson, because everyone knows about stereo-types, and it is a form of immediately identifying a country. Talking about differences between countries and stereo-types are two different things, and not always bad, especially if, as two people have no asked, somebody is looking for very stereo-typical type help. I would personally rather see a very stereo-typical UK in a story than a story where Harry calls Ron "dude" or walks through a desert in the middle of Surrey (which sadly I have actually seen).

I don't want to cause arguements, but I think you need to chill out just a little bit.

Irish food

Potatoes. Ever heard of the great potatoe famine? Ireland used to rely heavily on the potatoe crop, and it is a well known food associated with Ireland.

Irish music

River dance, Celtic/Gaelic hymns, and cheesy boybands. >.>

Irish past-times

Um . . . .dunno. XD Drinking? Joke. Same as most other countries, I would expect. There isn't a huge cultural difference.

Irish sports

Again, I don't know. I believe they are quite keen on their fishing, but that may only be because whenever I go there it's to the same little fishing village.

Irish accents & Irish sayings

Saying "mam" instead of "mum" or "mom", the phrase "to be sure to be sure", the phrase "top of the morning to ya", but trust me if I see the last two phrases in your fic (unless it is a character mocking their own culture - like, everyone here puts on posh accents when mocking England) I will hunt you down and do soemthing despicable with the keyboard and your left nostril. :P

Don't try too hard writing the accent. It's not like Hagrid's accent, it doesn't really change the word much, they just stress certain letters differently.

Irish names

And second names with O' before them are always good. :P For instance, I know an Irish family by the name of O'Rihordian. Also, the name Conor is quite popular in Ireland I believe. If you go onto google and type in baby names, you can find lots of websites that list names by country, and I'm sure you'll find lots of Irish names there.

Irish looks

Big, muscly guys, blonde/red-haired women with big blue eyes, always cheerful and cosy looking.

Irish parties

Drinking, lots and lots of dancing, generally a lot of laughter - possibly pranks and tricks going on.

Irish culture

Hmm, stereo-typically . . . I don't think there is one. :P Nothing I haven't already said anyway. Maybe bringing in religion - religion is a large part of Irish life, or it used to be. Lots of fights between Catholics and Protestants, which have got quite nasty in the past. Large families.

Ireland itself

Green rolling hills, rather rainy. >.>

Irish politics

I don't know much other than the North/South divide, and that in some areas that divide can be quite fierce. I *think* that North Ireland (The part that is part of the UK) is mainly protestant and the Republic of Ireland (down south, the area that is it's own country) is mainly Catholic, but I could be wrong. It's rather early in the morning, I'm not thinking right.

Irish views on other people

I don't know the stereo-type, but they all seem friendly to me - they do tease a lot though.

Irish celebrities & Irish books

From what time?

Ireland's place in history & Ireland's place in the world

A fair few skirmmishes with England, but mainly it's a quiet little country that keeps itself to itself.

Okay, those are the stereo-types, I don't pretend to be an expert on Ireland. My granddad was Irish and I've been twice, thats it. :P

On a side note, using stereo-types is helpful when writing about a new coutnry, provided thta you get a beta from that country too, to prune it a bit. If you go totally overboard, that's fine - even good, because it means you're thinking about it and less likely to make mistakes - as long as there is someone there ot cut out the nessecary bits and reign you in. I do know what I'm talking baout, I tried to write some Twilight fanfic before I got bored, and I realised how little I know about America . . . >.>

~Evie