Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

apollo13
    **blinks**

I think you must have checked a really pricey menu, because I can get fish and chips for me, my two sisters and my mum for about £15.

Yes, I imagine it would have been a lot cheaper back then - cod stocks were higher and things were just generally cheaper - I know that in the 1940s when loads of kids were evacuated, most had lived pretty much on fish and chips and had never seen foods like eggs or bananas.

Also, something my mum tells me was around when she was a girl but is not any more for some sad reason, is that if you asked politely, the owner would give you a bag of "scraps" which were just odd bits of batter and chunks of fish that had broken away, and couldn't really be sold. Although that sounds pretty rank now, apparently it was a common thing, particularly up north, to come home with some scraps wrapped in newspaper.

~Evie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    £10 is too expensive. These days I get Fish and Chips for about £3.50 so for three it would be£ 10-11

In the late 80's I used to get a bag of chips and sweet and sour sauce (Yes I was such a gormet) for around £1.

We're talking late 70's and it would have been very cheap - probably about 70-80p each so £3.00 maximum.

I know that sounds incredibly cheap but we've ahd a lot of inflation plus fish and potatoes were very cheap in those days. Fish now is much more expensive because of the decreasing fish stocks.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Where I live there is literally about fifty chip shops close by, (I live on the north east coast, so loads of fish markets)
    I would say your average fish and chips is about two pound something, I pay one pound something for chips and curry, and my boyfriend eats fish and chips, it usually comes to around four pound when I buy both.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Soooh - where do you eat in Britain? Living room, Dining room, Kitchen?

I'm writing about the Evans' house here, and it's supposed to be a nice middle- to upper middle class home, the girls' rooms and the parents' sleeping room are upstairs, and the kitchen and living room are downstairs.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    It depends. In my house, most of the time we eat in the kitchen though we do occasionally eat in the dining room if we have guests or the kitchen table is unavailable for some reason. However we would not tend to eat meals in the living room very often except for maybe if we were having a sandwich or something, or it was a treat for me and my brother.

It really depends on the family. Some people will only ever eat in the dining room while some are much more free about where they eat.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Do British poeple use the term 'Snarky'?

What are some other expressions you have heard Americans say on the site that you though of as distinctly America?

Also, do British people still use milkman in this day and age? I know they did in the books, but I wonder now.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

apollo13
    Yes, they still use snarky.

American phrases that I have seen here and have therefore unfortunately picked up are:

-fresh (As in, 'don't get fresh with me'.)
    -dude
    -real bad - here we say "really badly"

Errrr . . . I can't really tink of any right now. >.> I'm being distracted by soemhting, I'll return later.

Yes, we still have milkmen.

~Evie

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by coolh5000
    It depends. In my house, most of the time we eat in the kitchen though we do occasionally eat in the dining room if we have guests or the kitchen table is unavailable for some reason. However we would not tend to eat meals in the living room very often except for maybe if we were having a sandwich or something, or it was a treat for me and my brother.

It really depends on the family. Some people will only ever eat in the dining room while some are much more free about where they eat.
    So is it common to actually have a dining room? What sort of room is that? There's a table and chairs in there, and apart from that? Do you do anything there apart form eating? /stupid
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Well our dining room is kind of a multi-purpose room. It's got a table and chairs in which take up most of the space (they're also nicer than the ones in the kitchen) and it also has our piano and main desktop computer in it. It's a strange room really

However, I don't know how typical this is. Some people have dining rooms while others just have things attached to their kitchens. You've not quite a bit of freedom really...

Oh and the milkman thing, yes they still exist but certainly not everyone uses them. I know we just buy ours from the shops

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    It does depend which era you're writing (for all these questions)

Milkmen were very common up to 1980's and then people started buying from the shops so the milk rounds dwindled. However, they are still in use (I have a milkman).

The Evans family (who are a similar type of family to the one I was brought up in) would have eaten in the kitchen generally, but would also have had a dining room where they ate Sunday lunch and special meals - as long as their kitchen was big enough.

Snarky is recent. Yes, it's used but generally by the young (or young at heart LOL) I hadn't heard of it until I came on this site and I'm *coughsplutter* over 30. .

So don't use it if your story is pre 2000 or is about old people ha ha.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye