Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous Ginny
    Can I just add to this, the place I live is classed as a Village however it is slap bang in the middle of a town, so it's not always the countryside since my town is near the beach too.
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo13
    Ordinarily, though, villages can be safely assumed to be in the countryside. They can, however, be quite big. There's a village near me that's fighting to become a town. Mostly, though, British villages are relatively small.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolh5000
    I would agree with Hannah, that while the assumption would be that a village is in the countryside, there are several places nears where I live that are labelled as villages and yet are very close to or even in the middle of towns. Right now for instance, If I walked a minute down the road in one direction I'd be in a village. Five minutes down the road and I'd be in a town. Half an hour in a car and I'd be in a city. So yes, the general perception of a village is the middle of no where, but in reality, it's not always the case.
    What kind of village do you think Godrics Hollow would most likely be? For very clear reasons of sanity I assume that Godrics Hollow would be the countryside with farms and greenary and far from being urbanised like the illustrations from the fairy tale books.

I'm getting to the point of describing the village where James and Lily are living, and so will you give me the heads up to go with my fantasy description? Anything you'd suggest I add/deduct? Farms? ponds? barns?

Merlin. You probably all are laughing at me.

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

apollo13
    I definately imagine Godric's Hollow being int he countryside, partly based on descriptions from the books (like the winding lane) and partly because I live in a rural area, and so I always picture Godrics Hollow as my village, and the local church as the church Harry and Hermione visit. XD

Large fields are definately acceptable, as are a few barns, although they're usually clumped together and close to the actual farm. I believe Godrics Hollow is supposed to be int he west coutnry, so hills are very common, maybe with old mines (although they would have been open Marauder Era and baby-Harry era), quite a lot of sheep and cows, pigs are more south east of England, I think, but don't quote me on that.

Remember that winding lanes is a very accurate description, and we do not have blocks in the UK. We might have a few in the very modern areas and new housing estates, but not in villages and old areas.

The village might well have cobbles for some parts of it, but not on the actual roads leading into it. You might want to put in a few old buildings like a community hall, or a corn exchange and maybe a village pub. There might be a few boutiques and green grocers, but no large chain shops or overly fancy resturants. Maybe a cafe, and the pub would probably do food.

~Evie

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Just to say yes, I agree with Evie. In my mind, Godric's Hollow is definitely a countryside kind of village and I would think it's probably quite an old-fashioned one, with traditional local shops rather than chain stores except probably a Tesco because let's face it - Tescos are like rats - you're never more than so many miles away from one /rant and places like the church and the village pub which are fairly central to village life.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Rhi for HP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah
    except probably a Tesco because let's face it - Tescos are like rats - you're never more than so many miles away from one
    What's a Tesco Hannah? 5050505005050505050505050505

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Rhi, Tesco is one of the main supermarkets in Britain, and Hannah is right: they are everywhere. It sells food, media, clothes sometimes... The list goes on. xD

As for villages, I agree with what the others say about how Godric's Hollow might be. Definitely a pub and church, and there might be a village green someplace too. And maybe a hall aswell, for like those village social events or a post office or garage.

xx

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Akay, I think you're writing Marauder era - yes? So, ignore any mention of chain stores. Most villages would have been relatively unscathed by chain stores in the late 70's although a small supermarket (like the Co-op) could have been in operation.

I'm inclined to think, however, that with the Magical influences, Godric's Hollow would have held out against the invasiveness of multi-nationals long after other places had succumbed.

I bet there's a Starbucks there now, though (ha ha).

Something to add, there's probably some kind of war memorial in the village square dedicated to those who lost their lives in World Wars I and II. (I put one in my description of Godrics Hollow )

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

apollo13
    Yes, war memorials, with poppy wreaths.

And if it was near a mining town, there would definitely be cooperative shops, set up by the miners.

If you're doing Marauder era, as a side note, there would be quite a lot of community spirit . . . but you just don't get that now . . .

~Evie

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    Hmm. Food.

Please note to try to keep them closest to the Marauder Era.

- Dishes that can be cooked for a casual dinner with friends
    - a simple breakfast that James can manage to make by himself, with and without wrecking havoc
    - something to eat just as a snack, or merely for the benefit of your mouth to be seen doing something. To my mind comes the example of a slice of tomato. But may be that's just my Gin_drinka moment.

Everybody who responds gets a free thick-bottomed cauldron.

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

apollo13
    Casual dinner:

-Spag Bol
    -Roast chicken + Roast veggies (preferably on a sunday)
    -Some kind of fish, like cod or plaice or mullet with steamed vegetables
    -Cottage Pie
    -Shepards Pie

Breakfast:

-cereal
    -toast
    -small fry up (a full english breakfast is probably too much fuss for poor old James :P)
    -Porridge

Snack:

-A piece of fruit
    -Biscuit
    -Toast/bread
    -A piece of raw vegetable like a carrot or some cucumber

~Evie

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    -blushes- Never thought I'd have to ask a question in this thread >.>

Right, I never eat fish and chips, but I checked a modern menu, and it seems it would cost about 20 to feed 3 people. That seems really expensive to me, am I right? So, fish and chips in Marauder Era - I'm assuming it wouldn't cost so much then? 10 maybe? Opinions? Because I'm writing a story about Snape, and in it he gets this sort of meal for his mum, dad and him.

Thanks in advance, loves.

*slinks out, blushing still*

xx

EDIT: Thanks to you both -hugs- I thought it sounded oddly expensive, and I knew it would be cheaper in that time-era, but it's nice to have these things confirmed, etc. And I might use the scraps thing too, Evie. That might work quite well for the tone of my story. Hm...