Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

Josh
    yeah, the only thing i can add to those is:

need a common brandname for bottled water. Over here, at least in New York, Poland Spring is the most common, but I need something thats common over in Britain.
    We drink a lot of French ones (sparkling) like Perrier and Evian. Most popular British one (still) is Highland Spring.

Also, I need a brandname for a backpack; do you guys have JanSport over there?
    Not heard of JanSport ....will get back to you on this
    need a common brandname for bottled water. Over here, at least in New York, Poland Spring is the most common, but I need something thats common over in Britain.
    it really depends on where you are. In a restaurant then it's likely you'll get some brand you've never heard of. On the go, people tend to have still water, but this differs from place to place. Buxton is a major one is the Midlands, but Evian is also pretty large.

Also, I need a brandname for a backpack; do you guys have JanSport over there?
    If it's technical then North Face is very popular, though they're quite urban now. JanSport is quite rare. If you're looking for around town bags or inflight luggage, things like Gap, Karrimor, Berghaus or Eurohike are quite common and affordable bags.

~Josh

Mistletoe
    So, I've never been to London/ don't know anything about it. I have one main question though. Is there a London skyline, with all the tall buildings and whatnot? If so, is it 'downtown' or where exactly is it?

Thanks!
    --Kat

EDIT: Ah, Hannah, you're the best. Thanks!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I think your best place would be Canary Wharf - that's where all the big business' have their offices, for example the HSBC tower. I thought the gherkin was around there too which is a really cool building but I can't see it on the photo:

http://www.tleo.co.uk/files/projects...%20wharf_0.jpg

Just generally along the banks of the Thames there are some pretty impressive skylines, with St Pauls, the Eye, Big Ben and Westminster

though, actually I've only been to London about twice so don't hold me to that!

I'm writing a where my characters are trotting along in the countryside in Scotland, but I don't know any horse or pony breeds that are native there! I just want to get a basic taste of the breeds' standards, so that I can use lots of adjectives. I mean, I don't want a couple of well bred British girls galloping along on a couple of appaloosas or mustangs, do I? Thanks!

~M_W
    Hmm, I don't know much about horses but I did a little research and found this rather useful looking website.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Inf-Di...7&title=Breeds

Basically if you click on any of the links it gives you a picture and information on each of the breeds which could be a good start point for you.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hello

So, I've never been to London/ don't know anything about it. I have one main question though. Is there a London skyline, with all the tall buildings and whatnot? If so, is it 'downtown' or where exactly is it?
    As coolh500 said Canary Wharf is an area full of tall buildings and it's where many of the banks are based. However it is a fairly new development (15-20 years) before then it was wasteland. So if your story is Marauder era or earlier then you need somewhere else. Canary Wharf is East London which is quite a deprived area although Canary Wharf itself has a lot of very posh apartments and resturants.

The Gherkin is in the City of London which is Central London and about 3 miles away from Canary Wharf. There are lots of tall buildings here too.

Hope this helps.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by coolh5000
    I think your best place would be Canary Wharf - that's where all the big business' have their offices, for example the HSBC tower. I thought the gherkin was around there too which is a really cool building but I can't see it on the photo:

http://www.tleo.co.uk/files/projects...%20wharf_0.jpg

Just generally along the banks of the Thames there are some pretty impressive skylines, with St Pauls, the Eye, Big Ben and Westminster

though, actually I've only been to London about twice so don't hold me to that!

Hmm, I don't know much about horses but I did a little research and found this rather useful looking website.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Inf-Di...7&title=Breeds

Basically if you click on any of the links it gives you a picture and information on each of the breeds which could be a good start point for you.
    The Gherkin is at the opposite end of Central London, yet you can see Canary Wharf from the Gherkin. They both have major buildings around them, which tend to be newer than those at CW. The area around the Gherkin has more law firms and underwriters, and was where Diagon Alley was filmed in Harry Potter! The skyline usually features the Gherkin, The big building with a triangle roof at Canary Wharf (completely forgot the name) the Lloyds building and the London eye.

Hope I helped,

~Josh

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Hello!

Could one of you guys give me names of good restaurants in London? Not the costly ones and all- just the ones that are known to serve good food. I'm sending Ron and Hermione on a date... . And yeah, if I visit London, I'd very much like to stop by that place, too!

But getting serious, I just want a restaurant that looks pretty inside and has tasty food. It can be a very simple, economical one, no problem with that!

Thank you!

EDIT: Thank you so much: Carole and Josh! *runs off to write in in her fic*. I choose Scoffers, by the way... interesting name!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginny Weasley Potter
    Hello!

Could one of you guys give me names of good restaurants in London? Not the costly ones and all- just the ones that are known to serve good food. I'm sending Ron and Hermione on a date... . And yeah, if I visit London, I'd very much like to stop by that place, too!

But getting serious, I just want a restaurant that looks pretty inside and has tasty food. It can be a very simple, economical one, no problem with that!

Thank you!
    Ping Pong is an excellent restaurant located nearish Euston Station (one of the biggest) it's a chinese and has very quick service. You sit down and order as you go along, the food is really good, if you ever go to London, I'd advice you to go there!

There are also just chains of restaurants you can use such as Pizza Express, Zizzis or Cafe Rouge. This are all pretty normal and are major chains.

Note if you're thinking of Cafes, London is owned by Starbucks. There are quite a few Prets as well.

Hope I helped,

~Josh

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Lots of chains in London but some of the nicer small restaurants that Ive been too include

Scoffers in Battersea which has lots of nooks and corners. Good French/English type food. Ron might like the name as well (lol)

The Brasserie in Wandsworth (SW London) which does beautiful English type food.

San Lorenzo Fuoriporta in Wimbledon (They could go and see the tennis.) This is sort of related to the famous (and expensive) San Lorenzo in the West End of London as it's run by a family member. The food is lovely Italian type and fairly reasonable (nothing's cheap in London though) It has a conservatory area out the back that's nice to sit in.

There are some brilliant chinese places in Chinatown near Soho. I don't have any partcular names but the food in any of them is amazing. Don't stray into Soho though because Hermione might get a shock

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Well, I've already edited my previous post with a thank you, but thank you, once more! I'm sure Ron and Hermione are going to be really cosy, now...

And here's another question: I need the names of a few British dishes for main course. Nothing with fish in it, though, my dear OC (as well as the persom whom she's based on) hates fish.

Thank you!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Oooh, the first thing that popped to mind was fish and chips. I'm not a fan of fish either though, so I know if you go to a chip shop you can get a portion of chips, or you can get chips and sausages.

Roast dinners are traditionally eaten as Sunday lunch and on Christmas day (I don't know whether this is the same elsewhere).

Or there's the British fry-up. Which is basically bacon, fried eggs and bread... errr... I don't actually like fry-ups, so I'm having a mind blank now >.<

You could try 'bangers and mash' (sausages and mashed potatoes) or toad in the hole, which is basically a yorkshire pudding and a sausage - I think.

Try this link, Pooja, I fear I'm being a bit vague - click

Of course, Brits eat tonnes of foreign dishes these days. Pizza, for example.