Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Thread the Tenth

rita_skeeter

Being British: Thread the Tenth

This is the thread to come to for all things British, and that includes customs, school, food, work, etc.

Please keep in mind that we do have a large number of users who join us from the UK and Ireland on these boards, and we've had plenty of reponses from them in the past. Therefore, please could ONLY Brits answer things in here.

Ensure that you're polite at all times - particularly if you're correcting/disagreeing with an answer some has posted previously. Remember that we all make mistakes and deserve to be treated with respect. Points will be deducted if you are attacking users personally.

Also remember that there is time difference for all of you living anywhere but in GMT zones, so you may have a while to wait before someone replies to your post. Be patient, please!

So fire away with your questions and discussions!

A.H.
    AHA! First to post in a thread... Must be the first time.

My question is a simple one. I just began a passage with the phrase "Do you know who your effing with?" and it just did not click at all. I know I have a sailor's mouth, but it just sounded too American to me.

So, what would the sailors on y'all's end say?

Arianna

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    A sailor at our end would say the same thing.

Or he might say 'peeing' (but he'd say the real word not the euphemism )

Or he could easily say "Do you know who you're dealing with?" if he were more polite but that's unlikely.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

apollo13
    Effing popped up a few times in DH out of Ron's mouth, so you're perfectly safe. Although, I think it more likely that he said the whole word.

~Evie

Rome
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.
    AHA! First to post in a thread... Must be the first time.

My question is a simple one. I just began a passage with the phrase "Do you know who your effing with?" and it just did not click at all. I know I have a sailor's mouth, but it just sounded too American to me.

So, what would the sailors on y'all's end say?

Arianna
    Yeah; 'effing' should be fine.
    Uncle Vernon uses it.
    "Enough - effing - owls," muttered Uncle Vernon distractedly, stomping over to
    the window and slamming it shut again.
    OOTP, Chapter 2, A Peck of Owls

Have fun!

EDIT:
    I know I have a sailor's mouth
    ... 'sailor's mouth'? o.O *n00b*
    /.Rome

Evester
    Hello! I have a bit of a stupid question, but I'm American, so there you go. What was the currency in 1940's England? AND If some young men were playing cards and betting (not too seriously, it's all in fun in the context), what would you say a reasonable amount would be? Thanks!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Currency

That website has a list of brit currency at different times. I hope it helps. I don't know what sort of amount people would bet with though. Sorry!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Our current money came in in 1971 so in the 40s they'd still be using pounds, shillings and pence.

There were four farthings in a penny (which was written 1d)
    There were twelve pence in a shilling (known as a bob in slang)
    There were five shillings in a crown (thought apparently these were only given on special occasions such as the queens coronation. Half a crown was 2/6 (two shillings and sixpence))
    There were 20 shillings in a pound.
    There were 21 shillings in a guinea (though no coin for this)

The coins you might find are:

Half Penny (1/2d)
    Penny (1d)
    Threepence (3d)
    Sixpence (6d)
    One Shilling (1s or 1/-)
    Two Shillings 2s or 2/-
    Half Crown 2s 6d or 2/6

Possibly other coins such as pounds but I can't find a mention of it on the page I'm on.
    There were also bank notes starting at ten shillings.

The actual value of it was less than money today - I know that pounds were considered quite a lot so it would be most likely that if he were gambling, it would be using pence or shillings depending on how rich he was.

Hope that helps! - I'm so glad I've never had to deal with that money

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Evester
    OMGodric that's so complicated, LOL. But thanks for the answer!

Pendraegona

The '60s

What was London like in the late 60's, early 70's? Mugglewise, I mean. If anyone here was there in the 1960's, what was big, what was new technology, what did kids do for fun? What sort of pub talk did you get about politicians? I've tried googling the 60's in England, and a lot of stuff comes up, but trying to sift through it makes my head hurt. Someone with a personal spin on it, please?