Thread: Arabella Figg

Azhure

Arabella Figg

Okay, for one of my classes I'm doing a character study on Mrs Figg, so I thought I may as well create a thread here. Here's a few questions:

We know that both her parents were magical - she is a Squib, after all - but what blood status do you think her family would be?

Do you think she was once married? - If so, what sort of person would she be married to?

And sort of linking onto the previous question... Do you think 'Figg' is her maiden name or husband's name?

Did she live in Privet Drive before Harry did?

According to the HP Wiki, she trains Kneazels for a living, do you think she had a job before that? If so, what occupation do you see her in?

Generally, what sort of person do you think she would have been like in childhood?

I know it's difficult since we don't know a huge amount about her, but tell me what you think.

~~Azhure~~

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Wowee ... I've visited this forum loads today. Ok then. Down to Arabella.

We know that both her parents were magical - she is a Squib, after all - but what blood status do you think her family would be?

I've always imagined all Squibs as pure-bloods, because the families are so imbred that it eventually results in someone in the family line lacking in powers.

Do you think she was once married? - If so, what sort of person would she be married to?

Well she's a 'Mrs', so I'm assuming that she had a husband once. I'm thinking she's probably widowed - or maybe even abandoned after they found out what she was. I don't think somebody would've walked out on her though. I think her husband would be a wizard (I don't know why), and he'd be handsome in his younger age, but as he got older he'd get all wrinkly (*wow, that's a startling observation*). Maybe he died in the first war - we just don't know. I imagine he was kind, empathetic to Bella - I think she would've told him. I think he'd have a fear, which led on to his biggest flaw.

And sort of linking onto the previous question... Do you think 'Figg' is her maiden name or husband's name?

Husband's name.

It never says - I think, but I reckon Dumbledore would've placed her there soon after Harry moved into the Dursleys' to keep an eye open. Otherwise, it seems a bit odd that a Squib lives just down the road from Harry Potter, and happens to be in the Order of the Phoenix.

According to the HP Wiki, she trains Kneazels for a living, do you think she had a job before that? If so, what occupation do you see her in?

I think she would've trained Kneazels for her whole career. It would've kept her linked with the wizarding world - like you know, Filch at Hogwarts, even though he hates it.

Generally, what sort of person do you think she would have been like in childhood?

Quiet and cautious. Especially after realising she's a Squib. Sorry, I'm not really sure what else to say. Squibs are difficult. I mean, Filch can't've been like he is all his life.

Hope I've helped.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think her parents may be a pureblood and a halfblood. Perhaps the pureblood insisting that Arabella is sent somewhere else. However she must be very close to the magic world because otherwise Dumbledore would not have known her.

Do you think she was once married? - If so, what sort of person would she be married to? I think she may have been married to a Muggle but maybe he died young or left her when he discovered her connections to the magic world. I can't remember which house is writing this for the QWC but she's featured in their team with a different surname- however the referee in the match's surname is Figg

Quick Edit: Her character throughout is called Mrs Figg so she must have been married. She's either a widow or he's left.

I think it's her married name. perhaps she could be a Squib Malfoy (heh heh)

Nope- for the reasons given above. I think DD placed her there.

According to the HP Wiki, she trains Kneazels for a living, do you think she had a job before that? If so, what occupation do you see her in? I wonder if she had a connection to the school somehow or perhaps a pet shop (is itMagical Menagerie). DD knows and trusts her so I can't imagine that she's only trained kneazles alone in her house. Perhaps she treated Fawkes for something?

Quiet and very insecure - unless she had loving parents. DD gave her an important job and she gave him loyalty. She finally had a purpose.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Kcharles
    Gryffies are writing about her for the cup, so I'll put some of the stuff we thought about her.

We know that both her parents were magical - she is a Squib, after all - but what blood status do you think her family would be? Personaly, I think she's a half blood(Two halfblood parents). The QWC team didn't discuss this, so I don't know.

Do you think she was once married? - If so, what sort of person would she be married to? Heh, in the Gryff QWC, his name is James Figg. Don't know what kind of person he would be though.

And sort of linking onto the previous question... Do you think 'Figg' is her maiden name or husband's name? Husbands

Did she live in Privet Drive before Harry did? I think that she moved there on Dumbledore's orders, did she not? I think she would've moved there the year Harry was born, so not much before Harry, because it might be a bit suspicious if she just suddenly moves in a day or two after Harry is moved in, especially if the house wasn't even for sale.

According to the HP Wiki, she trains Kneazels for a living, do you think she had a job before that? If so, what occupation do you see her in? I think that a Quidditch player is a great job for her. I think that she took up training Kneazels for a living once her husband died, for companionship.

I think that she might have been a bit of an outsider, but not someone like Snape. She would be liked by the rest of the school that knew her, but she'd only hang out with a few select friends.