Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingsley Shacklebolt

Hybrid View

leahsm2

Kingsley Shacklebolt

I didn't see a thread for him, although his name comes up occasionally on other character threads. As an Auror, there would be periods of time where his membership in The Order would be unpolitic, if not an outright career killer. But, Shacklebolt seems to be such a stand up character that one wonders how far he'd be willing to bend in order to remain in a Ministry whose policies were so far away from his own. Any thoughts?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Well, Kingsley didn't work at the Ministry under Thicknesse so I guess that tells us that he won't work for anyone.

I see Kingsley as someone who's charismatic and very clever. I think the reason he was still working for the Ministry under Fudge and Scrimgeour was because he was essentially working for Dumbledore too. I don't think his membership of the Order was known for some time otherwise he wouldn't have been chosen to accompany Fudge to Hogwarts hen they tried to arrest Dumbledore (OOTP). He won't bend to the Ministry but he may give the appearance of bending.

He's chosen by Scrimgeour to protect the Muggle Primeminister so he's obviously seen as incredibly valuable. I would imagine he had a very good working relationship with Scrimgeour when they were both in the Auror department but they wouldn't be friends.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

leahsm2
    Well, I assume that the Ministry tends to be corrupt, even in the best of circumstances (pre Kingsley's tenure, of course) But, the fact that he is in The Order and has clearly shown his allegiance to it would make it hard for him to remain an Auror, I would think. But he does have a dual role to play, at least for a while.

lupins_girl2006
    The fact that he is in The Order and has clearly shown his allegiance to it would make it hard for him to remain an Auror, I would think.
    If this is true, then wouldn't that mean that Tonks would also have a problem staying an auror before she dies? Just thought I'd ask

~Allie

leahsm2
    Quote Originally Posted by lupins_girl2006
    If this is true, then wouldn't that mean that Tonks would also have a problem staying an auror before she dies? Just thought I'd ask

~Allie
    I'll be back soonest with something! No idea what, but something!

Inverarity
    I think Shacklebolt and Tonks both remained Aurors as long as they could. While the Ministry was corrupt but not completely under Voldemort's control, they worked within the system as best they could, because then at least they had some legal authority, and access to the government. Once Voldemort took over and Thicknesse became Minister, though, it's possible Shacklebolt might have tried to stick around and work covertly (much as Percy ended up doing), but Tonks would certainly have had to flee, since being married to Remus Lupin isn't something the Death Eaters are likely to have overlooked.

Mary-Greenman

Kingsley Shacklebolt

Hello, I'm sure this wasn't posted yet, but if it was, feel free to delete it, mods! I tend to miss things, especially in the way of thread topics.

At any rate, I'm writing a fic where, while he isn't the main character, there are several chapters, he is featured. I remember him vaguely, and I used the HP-lexicon for help, but I was wondering what you suppose he would be like in regards to werewolf policies.

What do you think he values most? What sort of relationship would he have with Harry, who, according to JKR and Lexicon, he made Head Auror. I've got a few ideas, but I'd like to get a few ideas of what readers would expect. What kind of boss do you think he is? Do you think he is fair? Does he show favortisim or anything like that? Do you think that, after the defeat of Voldemort, he and Arthur would get along better in public?

I should add that this fic takes place after the series; obviously, with the whole work-relationship thing.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    With werewolves, it is quite possible that before he met Remus and became involved in the Order he was prejudice. Most wizards are, we learn from Remus in DH and from Ron's reaction in PoA. Afterwards he probably became more accepting because he knew Remus. Towards the policies it depends on what the policies are, and whether you're setting your fic before or after OoTP. He may not have thought about the legislation before as he was primarily an Auror, but he could have done. Since we know nothing about this you can make up whatever you want, but I do think he'd have wanted more equality and better opportunities for werewolves when he became Minister.

What do you think he values most?

It depends what you mean. If you mean in his personal life, I think you have a free reign. In terms of government, however, I think he would value justice and the iradication of the Death Eaters pretty highly.

He would be fair, but I imagine him to be firm. People like Lucius Malfoy or Dolores Umbridge wouldn't be able to worm their way out of punishment with him. I think that being an Auror, he wouldn't be influenced by these people and probably see through their ruses. I imagine him to let off someone like Stan Shuntpike, for example, and be leniant in that manner. He wouldn't show favouritism or give anyone preferential (probably not spelled right...) treatment.

I hope that sort of helps. I would add more but I have to dash.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

wilted_orchid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary-Greenman
    What sort of relationship would he have with Harry, who, according to JKR and Lexicon, he made Head Auror. I've got a few ideas, but I'd like to get a few ideas of what readers would expect. What kind of boss do you think he is? Do you think he is fair? Does he show favortisim or anything like that? Do you think that, after the defeat of Voldemort, he and Arthur would get along better in public?
    My sentiments on the Werewolf and Values questions seem to have been conveyed perfectly already by Sapphire at Dawn, so I thought I'd go for this little bundle of questions and see if I can help any.

What sort of relationship would he have with Harry?

I think that by the time he becomes Head Auror Kingsley knows what an asset Harry is as a personal friend, and while he would be aware of how he could use this to his own advantage within the media, etc. I don't think he would; he would respect Harry too much to abuse his friendship in this way. I believe that while Kingsley would respect Harry for all his hard work and efforts, he would also recognise him to be a young man now free from the constraints placed upon him as a baby. As a reader, I often find it frustrating when people say Harry became like Deputy Head Auror or whatever, because a level-headed man like Kingsley would never do something like this.

What kind of boss do you think he is? Do you think he is fair? Does he show favortisim or anything like that?

I highly doubt that after his efforts during the war he would turn dictator, but I do feel that he would led with a strong hand. That's not to say the Wizarding Community would get no say in the matter, but I feel that he would have personal beliefs which he would not separate from his policy merely for popularities sake. I think he would be a fair leader and boss, a person who would listen to and respect his staff, and someone who it would be possible to relate to unlike Fudge. I think it would be very OOC for Kingsley to should favouritism, but I think with him it would very much be a case of earning respect, so those who had acted cowardly during the war (Dung Fletcher) would not stand in such high stead with him as those who fought valiantly (Arthur Weasley) until they showed their worth.

Do you think that, after the defeat of Voldemort, he and Arthur would get along better in public?

Absolutely. There's no reason why not any longer, and the Weasleys in my mind would be a highly respected family by that stage considering they all fought valiantly and Molly Weasley took down Bellatrix Lestrange herself.

Hope there's something useful in there!

Shan
    x

Mary-Greenman
    Thanks! You guys are a lot of help. I was afraid this site might be dead, like most of the others I stumble upon. It makes me sad, sometimes. Of course, while it's not the most active thread I've seen, it's still alive! That makes me utterly happy!

Anyway, I thought about making him yet another corrupt minister, but then I went through my books and double checked to make sure I wasn't utterly destroying his character. I think it'll add some great conflict to the story though, and definably bring in some awesome tension between Harry and Hermione, especially with the werewolf policies.