Thread: Aberforth Dumbledore

Roonil_Wazlib125

Aberforth Dumbledore

I tried to write a thread about him already, but it didn't come up. So here it is again.

Aberforth Dumbledore seems like a very... interesting character. He seems like a mixture of Albus and Phineas Nigellus, but that's just my take.

Anyways, Aberforth Dumbledore told us his whole story in the chapter who's name I can't remember. But he told us his story and the story of how Ariana died.

So he was pretty important to that chapter. He's also important to the end of the story, where the battle takes place. His pub was the place to go to get in and out Hogwarts undetected. I'm pretty sure there's a word for that, but I don't know what it is.

Alright. So to recap, Aberforth Dumbledore was important in that chapter because his pub served as a station to help people get in and out of Hogwarts undetected. He also told Harry, Ron, and Hermione information that helped uncover the mystery that is Albus Dumbledore.

Now, let's talk about Aberforth's Hogwarts years.

In Aberforth's story, he says that he didn't want to go to school. He said he wanted to stay home and take care of Ariana. But Albus wouldn't let him. He said edcuation was more important. Do you think Albus was being a good brother? Why or why not?

What House do you think Aberforth was in? Gryffindor? He does seem brave. Ravenclaw? He seemed averagely smart. Hufflepuff? I don't think he has patience enough for Hufflepuff. Slytherin? He is cunning...

What subject(s) do you think Aberforth excelled in? Do you think he was like his brother, who excelled in everything, or do you think he had a couple of subjects that he was good at? Do you think he had a favorite subject? A least favorite subject?

What teachers do you think Aberforth might've liked? What teachers do you think he might've disliked?

Do you think people called him 'Albus' little brother'? Do you think teachers compared him to Albus? Do you think teachers told him that he should try to be more like Albus? Do you think this would've annoyed Aberforth?

What kinds of friends do you think Aberforth would have? 'Golden Trio' type friends, or 'Crabbe and Goyle' type friends? (Golden Trio: Harry, Ron, and Hermione type friends; Crabbe and Goyle: Big mean thugs that do your bidding.)

Alright. Now let's talk about Post-Hogwarts.

What career do you think Aberforth had before being a barman? Do you think he was a goat charmer, like rumors say he is? Or do you think he's something else, but he did goat charm in his spare time?

Do you think Aberforth ever had a wife or girlfriend? If so, what would that person be like? Do you think Aberforth would be gay, like Albus?

Do you think Aberforth enjoys his job? Why or why not?

Okey-dokey. Now let's talk about his family.

Do you think he liked Ariana or Albus more? (Hint hint: Who's picture is in his bar?) Do you think he liked all the extra attention they got from their father's arrest? Why or why not?

Do you think he thought of his family as 'close' or 'torn apart'? Why or why not?

Alright... if you think of anything else to add, you can. I will enjoy reading your questions.

Roonil_Wazlib125

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Woah - that's a lot of questions. I'll try my best.

Do you think Albus was being a good brother? Why or why not?

I do think Albus was being a good brother. Their parents' probably prised their childrens education, and I think Albus knew this. I don't think he was trying to just get rid of Aberforth - well, maybe just a bit.

What House do you think Aberforth was in?

I don't think he was a 'Puff. From what we saw of him, he got annoyed very easily. Slytherin? Umm... I'm not sure. It seems a possibility, though at that age he seemed a lot nicer than the teenage Albus, and he was in Gryffindor. Not Ravenclaw. I just don't think he was all that bright in school. Gryffindor or Slytherin. I think he would of been in one of the two.

What subject(s) do you think Aberforth excelled in? Do you think he was like his brother, who excelled in everything, or do you think he had a couple of subjects that he was good at? Do you think he had a favorite subject? A least favorite subject?

I think Potions (don't ask me why), and Charms. Charms are made out to be quite simple, and some of them are quite fun. Right up Ab's street I'd hazard a guess. I don't think he was like his brother, for the same reason I don't think he was a 'Claw. Favourite: I don't know. Least Favourite: Transfiguration. Also, I think he would have liked Care of Magical Creatures. He had tones of publicity about charming a goat. Whether the two are linked or not, I don't know.

What teachers do you think Aberforth might've liked? What teachers do you think he might've disliked?

We don't know what teachers taught at this point, so this is really your call.

Do you think people called him 'Albus' little brother'? Do you think teachers compared him to Albus? Do you think teachers told him that he should try to be more like Albus? Do you think this would've annoyed Aberforth?

Yes to all. I think Ab was like the 'average little brother of Albus'.

What kinds of friends do you think Aberforth would have? 'Golden Trio' type friends, or 'Crabbe and Goyle' type friends?

I always imagined him as a bit of a loner to be honest. I don't know who he would've of hung around with.

Do you think Aberforth ever had a wife or girlfriend? If so, what would that person be like? Do you think Aberforth would be gay, like Albus?

Straight, but no great love.

Do you think Aberforth enjoys his job? Why or why not?

I don't think there's anything else open to him, and I think he's probably a bit bored of the bar. Also, bar-tending is a good way to spy on the opposition. Remember the DA meeting? Ohh, that answer's a bit vague, which I suppose means I don't have a definite opinion.

Do you think he liked Ariana or Albus more?

Ariana, I think he cared about her a lot and was torn apart when she died. She was probably his best friend. He seemed to be kind of contemptuous towards Albus. I suppose he was really angry with him.

Do you think he thought of his family as 'close' or 'torn apart'? Why or why not?

Torn apart. He broke Albus' nose.

Hope I helped you out with this.

EDIT: your thread did come up, and you also have two drabble threads. Visit your profile and press the link to the page with all the threads you've started on.

cirelondiel
    In Aberforth's story, he says that he didn't want to go to school. He said he wanted to stay home and take care of Ariana. But Albus wouldn't let him. He said edcuation was more important. Do you think Albus was being a good brother? Why or why not?
    I think Albus was simply trying to do what he thought was best.

What House do you think Aberforth was in? Gryffindor? He does seem brave. Ravenclaw? He seemed averagely smart. Hufflepuff? I don't think he has patience enough for Hufflepuff. Slytherin? He is cunning...
    I actually think Hufflepuff is a possibilty - he said he just wanted to look after Ariana while Albus was busy doing great things. He just did what needed to be done and was clearly very caring towards his sister, both Hufflepuff traits. Otherwise, I'd say Gryffindor, for the same reasons. I agree that Ravenclaw or Slytherin don't seem to fit. Another thing is, he might have asked the Hat not to be in Gryffindor, because there he'd be compared to Albus even more...

He wasn't anything on Albus, who was a genius. He would have been an average student. I think he probably would have done better in outdoorsy subjects where he just had to work, like Herbology and COMC, rather than the subjects that involved flashy wand-waving like Transfiguration. He would have been a quiet achiever, not the type who gets pointed out by the teacher for his fabulous wandwork.

What teachers do you think Aberforth might've liked? What teachers do you think he might've disliked? Do you think people called him 'Albus' little brother'? Do you think teachers compared him to Albus? Do you think teachers told him that he should try to be more like Albus? Do you think this would've annoyed Aberforth?
    Mmm, since we don't know who his teachers were, we can't say. I don't think he would have had a particularly high regard for any of them, but he would prefer those who didn't expect or push him to live up to Albus's level. That may have only been those who never taught Albus. Teachers wouldn't be able to help but compare the two and find Ab a disappointment. And that definitely would have annoyed him.

What kinds of friends do you think Aberforth would have? 'Golden Trio' type friends, or 'Crabbe and Goyle' type friends?
    He probably never had any good friends, but he might have found a few, ah, weirdos, frankly, to hang out with.

What career do you think Aberforth had before being a barman? Do you think he was a goat charmer, like rumors say he is? Or do you think he's something else, but he did goat charm in his spare time?
    I don't think he did anything much, just became a barman. The goat charming would have been in his spare time.

Do you think he liked Ariana or Albus more? Do you think he liked all the extra attention they got from their father's arrest? Do you think he thought of his family as 'close' or 'torn apart'?
    He cared a lot for Ariana, and was resentful of Albus' neglect of her. He would definitely preferred for his family to have not gone through all the stuff with his father's arrest, and I don't think he was ever the type who would want to be in the spotlight. All in all, they were definitely a torn family.

-- Chelsea

Roonil_Wazlib125

Talking More Questions

Thanks to everyone who replied! I have some more questions about Aberforth. He's a very intriguing character to me.

These questions are 'what-if' questions about what might have happened to Aberforth had certain events not happened.

First topic: Aberforth's family.

It seems that the Dumbledores have two sides. The first side is the 'Rita Skeeter' side that is talked about in the biography of Dumbledore. Rita Skeeter makes the Dumbledores seem like muggle-haters. They shun Ariana because she is a Squib, and hide her away from their neighbors in shame. They also shun Aberforth because of his quirks. But it seems that they praise Albus the most because of his smarts and magical talent. Rita Skeeter's take on the Dumbledores seems so different from Albus's character.

Then, there is the 'Albus Dumbledore' side. This side makes the Dumbledores seem protective of Ariana; Mr. Dumbledore went to prison because he taught the little freaks who destroyed Ariana's magic a lesson. Mrs. Dumbledore hid Ariana from the outside world so she wouldn't get hurt. Of course, it sometimes seems that they let Aberforth slide by. But all-in-all, the 'Albus Dumbledore' side makes the Dumbledores seem like good people.

So, what do you think about Aberforth's family? Do you agree with the 'Rita Skeeter' take, or the 'Albus Dumbledore' side? Do you think that Aberforth's life would be better if the tragic events of his life (Ariana's loss of control over her magic, her death at the hand of either him, his brother, or Grindewald, his father's arrest) had not happened? Where do you think Aberforth would be had his childhood been better?

Next topic: Hogwarts.

We all know that Dumbledore was extraordinarily brilliant. But what about Aberforth? Well, we can hazard a guess that he was average. But what if he had been like Albus? Where would he be?

Say Aberforth excelled in COMC, Charms, Herbology, and Potions. That would add up to 4+ O.W.L.S. Say Albus excelled in every subject. That would add up to at least 7 O.W.L.S. (I think). Well, obviously Albus would get the better job. He has more O.W.L.S, and therefore he has more talent. So, in short, Albus would get the Headmaster job because of his O.W.L.S, and Aberforth would get the barman job at the Hog's Head.

But what if Aberforth also excelled in every subject? Would he perhaps have had a shot at the Headmaster spot? If so, how would that strain the already short-tempered relationship between Albus and Aberforth? And, if Aberforth became the Headmaster, would he be asked to be Minister of Magic? Or would Albus take the bigger job?

Next topic: Friends.

Some think of Aberforth as a loner. Others think he may have found other peculiar people to hang out with. No one seems to think Aberforth had a lot of friends.

We all know that Albus had a lot of friends. If he was a kid now, he would be referred to as a 'PK' (popular kid). He was talented, funny, famous as a teenager, and probably handsome as well. The girls were probably swooning over him, the boys envying him, but everyone clamoring to get on his good side.

That leaves Aberforth with either no friends or a few creeps who were still in awe of Albus. So, the best bet we can make is that Aberforth had a couple of friends, but he never really enjoyed their presence, and was a bit of loner at heart.

So, what if Aberforth had a bunch of friends? What if he, too, was a PK? Do you think that he and Albus would've been competing for the allegiance of all the Hogwarts kids had Aberforth been popular? Or do you think that half of Hogwarts (say the Gryffs and the 'Claws) sided with Albus and the other half (the 'Puffs and the Slyths) went with Aberforth? How would this affect the relationship of the brothers? Would they be friends?

Last topic: Houses.

We all know that Albus Dumbledore was a Gryff. That's probably one of the reasons Harry wanted to be in Gryffindor, and probably a reason why he enjoyed Gryffindor so much. He probably felt closer to Dumbledore because they were in the same House.

But what about Aberforth? I asked this in my other speculation of Ab. Inspirations thought that Aberforth would do well as either a Gryff or a Slyth. Cirelondiel thought that Aberforth would be a good 'Puff. No one seems to think that Ab would be a 'Claw though, mostly because he was only an average student.

So, what House do you think Aberforth would be in?

We must think of the traits and characteristics required for each House. But, alas, this speculation is far too long, so we will only look at the specific trait for each House.

Gryffs need to be brave. Harry, Ron, and Hermione are all brave, but of course, they are the main characters, so we can't say much. Neville, on the other hand, exhibits cowardice in the beginning. He is frightened at the thought of standing up to people. But he slowly grows into a fierce fighter, a loyal friend, and even stands up to Voldemort in DH. Heck, he even beheads Nagini! Do you think Aberforth would be this growing, changing character?

'Claws need to be smart. Luna Lovegood, though she has several quirks, is wise behind her years and very open-minded. She believes things without proof, but being smart means keeping an open-mind and always trying to prove the impossible. Being smart means knowing that there are no limits in knowledge and that there are always new mysteries to be uncovered. She also has a "painful way of telling the truth" to paraphrase how J.K. describes Luna's description of people. Luna is unafraid to speak her mind and share what she knows. Her speculations about people are often true. Do you think Aberforth would be this kind of wise, open-minded person?

'Puffs need to be loyal and hard-working. Zacharias Smith, though a sometimes hated character, shows that he is a true 'Puff. Although he makes snide remarks and is obnoxious and skeptical, he remains loyal to the DA. He doesn't squeal to Umbridge even though he doesn't like Harry very much. Cedric Diggory, another true 'Puff, is hard-working during the Triwizard Tournament. He is talented and works hard to earn the prize. Even though Harry tipped him off (the whole dragon thing), he still studied hard to defeat the beast. He also repaid Harry with a clue about the egg. (Sorry for the bad description of traits...'Puffs are complicated). Would Aberforth have been such a loyal friend, such a hard-working fighter?

Slyths need to be cunning. Severus Snape, a hated HP character, embodies the traits of Slytherin. He is cunning and has killer-instincts. Unfortunately, most people believe that he is bad and that all Slytherins are terrible. But, as the Slyherins of mugglenet would say, Slyths are most certainly not terrible! Severus Snape needed cunning to be a Death Eater, and again to be a double-agent for Dumbledore. Although he was sneaky and downright horrible to Harry, he was still smart. He knew how to lie, he knew how to penetrate people, he knew how to manipulate, and he knew how to fool others. Would Aberforth be so sly?

I'll spare you any more speculation. And I don't expect any of you to answer every question. Pick and choose, but when replying, please try to pick questions others haven't answered. Thanks! Hope we can all band together to uncover the mystery that is Aberforth Dumbledore.

Roonil_Wazlib125

Annmarie

Wembricken
    I'm writing a fic set during the First War in which Aberforth is an old friend of my OC. What I keep wondering, however, is how widely known it was that Aberforth was Dumbledore's brother.

Do you think Aberforth lived under an alias? Or it was only a rumor that he was Albus's brother? Or perhaps even that it WAS known that he was Albus's brother, but that the history between them was also known, and so it was fairly safely assumed that the brother barely interacted?

I guess I'm inclined to think that very few people knew that the barkeep at the Hog's Head was Albus Dumbledore's brother. I don't see the skeptical clientele that frequent the Hog's Head doing so if they knew that the brother of goody too-shoes Albus Dumbledore owned the place. Plus, I think there would have been a great deal of concern about threats against Aberforth's life, had his identity been widely known.

But I wanted to see what others thought, and if anything had been written on the subject. Thoughts?

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Hmm. I don't think that the type of people who would frequent the pub would so much if it were common knowledge. Yes, the brothers didn't get on, but Aberforth was still a member of the Order, and I think people would be suspicious.

Personally, I'm thinking that people can't have been aware of who Aberforth was. He was just the owner of the Hog's Head. The Death Eaters in DH don't call him by his name, so perhaps they don't know it. He can't look much like Dumbledore because Harry only makes the connection when he sees Aberforth's eye in the mirror. Perhaps he just calls himself 'Ab' and leaves it at that, so that people don't make the connection.

Hope that helps!

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Wembricken
    Thanks very much, Sarah! I'm glad you agree and I also like your suggestion of him simply going by Ab. I didn't like the idea of coming up with an entirely different name for Aberforth (an alias) because I was afraid it might cause confusion, but Ab meshes nicely with the stereotype of barkeeps and the like simply having a one syllable name and nothing more - a stereotype that Aberforth would likely encourage.

Thanks!