Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Drabble - Epitaphs and Eulogies - Results in!

Hermione Weasley xx
    Name: Hermione Weasley xx
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Finally Understood
    Word Count: 450
    Warnings: Character Deaths

“Lily and James Potter were the best friends anyone could ask for,” Remus told the crowd gathered beneath him; already, the male’s eyes were begin to flood with tears and his voice was shaking slightly. “James was one of my best friends throughout school; he was part of our little group that he’d deemed ‘Marauders’. At that point, he was stubborn and pig-headed, but we all listened to him because there was a certain charisma about him that’s impossible to describe; it can only truly be understood if you net him. Even so, he was a loyal friend, one who would stand by your side and fight to the death for you. This part of him only grew after he changed for the girl he’d loved for ages, Lily Evans. She was the cause of his sudden metamorphosis; he became more serious, but that didn’t mean there wasn’t a sparkle in his eye at all times. He was one of the best friends anyone could ever ask for—I still wonder how I was so lucky to have a friend like him.” He paused, tears sliding down the young man’s cheeks, his voice shaking slightly. But he continued, plunging onward with very little hesitation because they both deserved this and ever so much more.

“Lily Potter—formerly Evans—always sought out the best in everyone. She helped me through my struggles and had a fiery spirit that blazed beyond any I’ve ever known. She was more lively than I’d imagined anyone could be and wasn’t afraid to speak out for what she wanted. She was determined. And she would be by your side in an instant if anything ever happened to you, just as her husband would; she was loyal and would risk her life for you, without any reluctance or hesitation. She was braver than I’ll ever be. She was also one of the best friends anyone could ever ask for; and she could see right through any person. Which is why it took several years of James following her around before she agreed to date him.”

At this point in the audience, people were smiling through the tears, some even chuckling a bit. As Remus’s eyes roamed the crowd, he caught sight of one of his best friends, Sirius Black, whom he’d never seen cry before, but now looked so grief-ridden it seemed he might never recover. And there was Frank Longbottom, tears sliding down his cheeks. And beside him, his wife, Alice Longbottom, crying heavily into her husband’s shoulder. Suddenly, Remus realized something: they all understood. And for the first time since the death of these two people he cared deeply about, Remus didn’t feel so alone.
    And my second drabble. :3
    Title: Together At Last
    Word Count: 498
    Warnings: Character Deaths

“They were both amazing people; they were the two people I cared about most in the world. I always thought I’d be the one to die, but in the end, it was my two best friends. They didn’t deserve that fate—they stuck with me to the end, without hesitation, even though they were just as terrified as I was. They sought comfort in one another, and finally declared that they were in love. It did take them seven years, but they did it. I’d once been worried about how all of that would work out; would they be too gushy or perhaps break up and hate one another? But with the war quickly approaching, it didn’t matter. I was just happy to see my two friends together at last.

They kept me living through this whole ordeal. They were my inspiration and the people that kept me going. Never once did they question me; they supported me through thick and thin, even if I was devastatingly wrong. And they both stood in front of me and risked their lives—and, in the end, lost them. They didn’t deserve it, but I’m sure they would be happy—they died together. A great man once told me ‘Death is but the next great adventure,’ and I trust him implicitly. In that case, I do hope Ron and Hermione are enjoying their adventures. As long as they are together, I can be happy for them. I miss them every day of my life; I think about them every day of my life. They helped guide me to what I am today. And I can be thankful that I had the best friends the world could ever ask for and nothing could ever tear those wonderful memories away from me. Not even the Dementors could take that from me; I could conjure the world’s strongest Patronus simply by thinking of the two people I care of most. They were there by my side when I approached the most powerful dark wizard that ever lived—and I feel they are with me now. Ron and Hermione, if you are listening—I will never forget you.”

Tears were sliding down the green-eyed boy’s cheeks. The lightning bolt scar on his forehead made him stand out of a crowd at any given time, but at this particular moment, it didn’t matter to him. All that mattered in that moment were his friends; he cherished and cared from them even in death, and would for all of eternity. But they had gone together, clinging tight to one another; it had been priceless.

“I love you both more than anyone I’ve ever known,” he murmured softly, not sure whether he was still speaking to the group of people or to himself. And as he saw their tombstones, he touched each, kneeling in front of them, his head bowed slightly as if in silent prayer. “You both deserve the world—but even more, you deserve each other.”

Madame Marauder
    Name: Madame Marauder
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Tribute to the Traitor
    Word Count: 255
    Warnings: Character Death

Here lies Peter Pettigrew, dead and gone
    Some of his actions have been wrong

At one time he was my friend
    I wish I could say it was ‘til the end

Unfortunately, he was not
    But those childhood days won’t be forgot

We were boys together; Padfoot, Prongs, Moony and Wormtail
    The Marauders four, a friendship that could never fail

But lo and behold, fail it did
    None of us could have foreseen for we were just kids

Yet there came that fateful day
    James and Lily, he did betray

Framed another: Sirius Black
    Then Peter fled, and didn’t look back

Peter hid and took on a new name
    Scabbers the rat…. He was barely the same

Later, Peter nearly missed
    A soul-sucking Dementor’s kiss

Assisted Voldemort in his revival
    Now for Peter, life’s goal was survival

But survival is for the strongest
    Which Peter wasn’t; I can attest

But bravery…. That was his thing
    When Peter took that curse of green

Meant for the son of those he’d betrayed
    Yes, shockingly, Peter saved the day

And though he may have perished
    His one act of bravery will forever be cherished

Remus Lupin looked at the poem he’d written. Although Remus could not bring himself to speak at Peter’s funeral, his tribute would be seen by all who gazed upon the tomb. This was to be Peter Pettigrew’s epitaph, engraved in the stone.
    Remus only wished that James and Lily had seen Peter’s ultimate sacrifice for their son, Harry. Then, might Peter’s treachery be forgiven.

garyf
    I'm liking the fiendishly difficult challenge this week Jan (and Anna), and struggling to keep the elegy to less than 500 words.

I shall return to edit this here post once I've managed to figure it out. Damn alternating dactylic hexameter and dactylic pentameter lines!

the nutty imp
    Author Name: the nutty imp
    Title: Tribute to Binns
    Word Count: 127
    Warnings: Not so serious

Fred and George Weasley were known troublemakers, yet trouble was not utmost in their minds at the moment. The wacky two-some wished to do Hogwarts a service today. The irreverent twosome wished to pay their respect to one of Hogwart's icons. Into the night they crept, hoping to avoid detection from the accursed Mrs. Norris.

They finally reached their destination. This was the place where he died and this was the place where he continued to on with his after life. The boys nodded solemnly to one another; with the use of the 'Permanent Sticking Charm' they placed an epitaph:

Here rests the ashes of
    Professor Binns,
    A burning fire took him in.
    A restful sleep he chose not,
    yet he puts to sleep this whole lot.

avenger_of_dumbldore
    Author Name: Avenger_of_dumbldore
    Title: The Speech at the White Tomb
    Word Count: 300
    Warnings: none

"Albus Dumbledore,” began Minerva McGonagall, “was a wonderful man. He was smarter than the smartest of us, braver than the bravest. There was not a spell in the world that he could not do." Many people in the audience nodded.

"But Albus Dumbledore's crowning glory was his students. He was a teacher to the very end. Throughout his life, he chose to teach that knowledge and skill that he himself had mastered so well."

Minerva took a deep breath. "In death, he still teaches us. He teaches us the importance of life, of love, of courage. He teaches us that there is nothing that is to difficult to achieve, or too hard to master. He teaches us that there are some thing worth fighting for, some things worth dying for, and most importantly, there are some things worth living for.

"Let us learn from Albus Dumbledore. Let us remember what he died for, and learn not to let the same thing happen to others. Let us take this opportunity to realize that people will come, and people will go, just like Dumbledore. But truth, love, courage and honor will remain, as long as there are people like Albus to fight for them. Learn from his death, and he will be satisfied wherever he is.

"Remember, Albus Dumbldore did not die for nothing. He died so that each and every one of you could live.”

McGonagall stopped, letting what she had just said echo through the yard. Then, she looked up, as if thinking about something. Tears gathered in McGonagall’s eyes as she pulled a single rose from her robe pocket and laid it on the white tomb before her.

She turned to the audience and said, “In the words of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”

lady-rhian
    Author Name: lady_rhian
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Every Man Dies
    Word Count: 499
    Warnings: Character Death, though with this challenge that seems a bit superfluous, doesn't it?

“What are you doing?”

Hermione looked up sharply. Ron was staring at her, arching a brow. She sighed.

“Nothing important,” she muttered, sliding the sheet of paper into a textbook.

Ron made to grab the book, but she quickly picked it up and set it in her lap.

“Why are you so intent on seeing what I was writing? It doesn’t concern you… well, not really.”

Ron leaned back in his chair. “You just looked concerned, that’s all. Goodness’ sake, Hermione, we actually have a few days here. With the Order, with family… we’re supposed to be resting and regrouping, not stressing ourselves out with schoolwork.”

Hermione sighed.

“I suppose you’re right,” she said quietly. “I’ll go see if your mother needs help with dinner.”

Ron watched her walk out of the room before walking over to her desk. He eyed the book suspiciously. “Let’s see what we have here,” he mumbled, picking it up and pulling the sheet of paper out.

The Living Will of Hermione Jane Granger.

He dropped the book to the floor, wincing as the textbook landed on his foot.

He groped for the chair and sat, elbows on his knees as he read the paper in front of him.

Crookshanks is to be taken care of by Minerva McGonagall. If she is not living at the time this will is read…

“Bloody Christ,” Ron muttered. They were taking a few well-deserved days of rest and Hermione was preparing for her death.

It was February, and there were only two Horcruxes to go… that was good, wasn’t it? Nagini was one, so that wouldn’t be too hard…

He shuddered before reading the last paragraph.

There is a collection of letters between pages 177 and 178 in my copy of Pride & Prejudice on my bookshelf at home. Those are for my parents. It is absolutely imperative that those letters are retrieved for them.

My last request is to be buried here at Hogwarts with the War heroes if possible. My parents can choose my epitaph, but I would like this to be written beneath it:

You are what your deep driving desire is;
    As your deep driving desire is, so is your will;
    As your will is so is your deed;
    As your deed is so is your destiny.

My father likes the quote ‘every man dies, not every man truly lives’ from one his favorite films. Please don’t let him put it on my tombstone. He’s bound to misquote it.

Ron felt as though his heart had dropped to his stomach. He gently placed the will back in the textbook before heading down to dinner.

Hermione was soaked to the bone. With rain or tears...

“Hermione?” Harry’s gentle voice asked.

She nodded, wiping her eyes. “I’ll be just a minute.”

She dropped on her knees next to the tombstone.

Ronald Weasley
    1980 - 1998

Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    Mel Gibson says that line in the incomparable film Braveheart. The quote that Hermione wanted on her tombstone is a verse from the Upanishads.

POTCgirl1337
    Author Name: POTCgirl1337
    House: Slytherin
    Title: To Harry Potter- the boy who lived!
    Word Count: 462

If you were to pass by the funeral, taking place on October 31 of 1999, you’re body would have stopped its walking and you jaw would have dropped. The sight was astounding. Wizards and witches of all different ethics and backgrounds, the rich, the poor and the average and the old and the young were gathered at the funeral to pay their respects to The Chosen One.

A teenage witch, fresh out of school, with long vibrant red and a very freckly face, now stood at a podium dressed from head to foot in the finest of black robes. Her eyes could be seen as red from the tears streaming down her face as she lifted her head to speak.
    “Harry is…” her mournful face faltered, “was… a great friend and a true leader. He would do absolutely anything to help those around him. When he was in his fifth year at Hogwarts, we were not being allowed to learn proper defense against the dark arts. So regardless of the rules and the laws, a club was formed called Dumbledor’s Army, or the DA. He taught us how to defend ourselves if we were ever to come face-to-face with a Death Eater or another evil being.” More tears began to well up in her brown eyes. “He…” She could take it no longer; bursting into tears she ran from the stage and sobbed it all out on one of her brother’s shoulders. Her place was taken by another witch with red hair.

“Harry Potter… was an unusual character,” Mrs. Weasley started, “He could love with all his heart, but then muster up the hate to kill Lord Voldemort. He was loyal and brave, the persona of a true Gryffindor….” the elderly witch forced the sob threatening to break loose back into her throat. “He started off a timid little boy shyly asking how to get onto platform 9 ¾, and turned into a bold young man with the courage to stand up to the most feared wizard of all times.

“Do not take his death in vain, but his sacrifice in glory. He gave his life to protect us all from pure evil and utter chaos. Remember all of the good times that you shared with him, and know that he is know with his biological family, instead of us, his adoptive familly. Somewhere know, him and James are cracking up at a favorite pass time of the marauders told by his loving godfather, Sirius Black, while Lily looks on with a slight scowl at the reflection of their rule breaking legend.

“And now, let us speak again the words that were spoken 18 years ago to the day, and raise out glasses once again, ‘To Harry Potter- the boy who lived!”

StellaSirius
    Author Name: StellaSirius
    Title: Goodbye
    Word Count: 354

A woman with short brown hair slowly walked to the front of the clearing, a long black box behind her. “This man fought for everything that he could possibly fight for. He had one of the hardest lives. First, he was relentlessly teased for being a bookworm. He grew to become one of the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers Hogwarts ever had.” She wiped her nose, and cleared her throat.

“He was in the background a lot of the time, his friends always above him. Sirius Black and James Potter, the girls swooned when they walked near. Now they’re dead.” Her voice was firm, though her eyes were red at the rims.

“James Potter and Lily Evans eventually got married. He couldn’t be there. Then they both died, because one of his last friends betrayed them. And now, when he has dedicated himself to good, and was fighting against Voldemort? He finds love. Something he has guarded against all his life. Finally, through all the things that have happened to him, he was happy.

There were sniffles all around, from people who knew what was coming, and from those who didn’t.

“Nymphadora Tonks. They loved each other so much, Remus and Tonks. They got married, and we had to start calling her Dora, because they were both Lupins. And then she died. He was stricken with grief, didn’t leave from one spot. He wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t sleep.

“Then he heard that we had found all of the Horcruxes, and we knew where Voldemort was. There was no escaping now, and he followed us.” By now, the young lady was choking down tears. “And he died. He died! And now we know exactly what we lost. He was amazing. In fact, he is amazing, wherever he is. He was the one who taught me the most, all through his life.”

Hermione took a deep breath. “If you don’t believe in magic, you can’t believe in reality. And Remus Lupin knew both. He was a friend, a teacher, a husband, and a miracle-worker. And we are gathered here today, to say goodbye.”

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...
    Author Name: mugglemathdork
    Title: A Decent Farewell
    Word Count: 492
    Warnings: None

It was a cold, dark winter day in England. The sun had been blocked by clouds, and the cold was bone chilling. However, that did not stop one young woman from visiting the cemetery on this particular day. She carried with her a half dead bouquet of flowers, as she walked solemnly about the sea of dead. After a couple of minutes of wandering, she found what she was looking: the grave marker of Draco Malfoy.

Slowly she put the flowers down, recited a short prayer, and began talking.

”You were never a good person. You alone made my life miserable for many years. In fact, I hated you. I hated that you alone were able to make me feel like I did not belong in this wonderful world. I thought of you as being below scum after sixth year,” she paused for a moment of reflection.

“You’re probably wondering why I’m here in the first place…at your grave, bringing you flowers. I don’t know why. But I guess it was to say that I forgive you for all your transgressions. I may be ten years too late, but I have lived with regret for not forgiving you that night you asked for it. Later, I found out that it was you who saved me on the battle field that night. I know it wasn’t because you loved me. No. We could never really stand each other for more than five minutes. But I do know it was because deep down you had some decency and good left in you.”

“Thanks to you, I survived. I married Ron. We have four children. Even though Ron protested loudly, our last born was named in your honor. Can you imagine a Weasley named Draco?!” she laughed.

“I truly am sorry you never did get to do all those things you said you wanted to do after the war.
    I wonder what you’d be like today. Do you think you and I would be friends? My guess is no.”

“You know, when you died no one attended your funeral service. And I remembered those words you mocked me with, ‘Granger, do you honestly think anyone will care if I die tomorrow? Do you honestly think that I, Draco Malfoy, will be missed by anyone?’”

“I cared. It mattered to me. Don’t get me wrong. I never cared for you when you were alive. But you did save me. And I felt that even you deserved a decent farewell,” she took in a deep breath and took out a piece of parchment.

“Dearly beloved, Draco Malfoy was not a good man, he wasn’t even kind. He wasn’t misunderstood, as many believed, that was just his nature. However, he made his amends, albeit, a tad late. Unfortunately, his life was cut short when he decided channel his inner Gryffindor. But for that I am forever thankful. Someone did care and miss you in the end. I did.”

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

HP_Ber
    Author Name: HP_Ber
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Goodbye, My Friend.
    Word Count: 291

“Friends, colleagues, guests. I am here on behalf of my friend and partner, Stan Shunpike,” the old man in the thick glasses spoke quietly to the small crowd, gathered at the graveside.

“No one really knew Stanley,” the old man continued. “He was a fine conductor for many years on my run on the Knight Bus. He took his job seriously, and took his leisure time even more seriously. Stan had ambitions. He wanted to be a great wizard. Alas, his magical skills held him back a bit, but that didn’t stop him from trying. When he was taken to Azkaban, and suspected of being a Death Eater, Stan didn’t let that get him down. When he was released with a full apology from the Ministry, Stan didn’t let that get in his way. I welcomed him back aboard our bus, and he continued to practice and keep our passengers entertained.

“Stan’s favourite story to tell other passengers was the night The Famous Harry Potter rode our bus. Harry had been, apparently, running away from home that night, and had called the Knight Bus. We took him into London, and the whole time, we thought he was a boy named Neville Longbottom. Stan could never figure out just why Harry was traveling under a different name, but he never asked and Harry never told.

“Stan may not have been the brightest of men, but he was a beacon of light on our bus. How he managed to get himself killed, I still haven’t figured out, but I do know, we’re going to miss him on our nightly runs.”

The old man stepped away and tossed a handful of dirt on the coffin, as it descended into the ground.

“Goodbye, my friend.”