Author: Aquilus Luna
House: Hufflepuff
Title: A Final Thank You
Word Count: 347
Warnings: Character Death

“For those of you who know me, especially those who went to school with me, you may be wondering why I, Draco Malfoy, am standing here, about to give the eulogy for Hermione Granger. Heck! I’m wondering that myself. I still don’t know why it’s me up here, and not one of her best friends.”

Draco looked around solemnly at the faces in the crowd waiting expectantly. He took a deep breath before continuing.

“I was taught, practically since birth, that muggleborns were filth, the scourge of the wizarding world. I came to Hogwarts thinking just that, expecting that every muggleborn I met would be incompetent, exactly for the reason that I was taught to believe that.

“Hermione Granger was different. She was top of the year, the favorite of all the teachers. And for that, I treated her like filth. But that didn’t stop the immense amount of respect I felt for her. She stood up for what she believed in and never backed down.

“My respect for her grew after we left Hogwarts. She was a major influence in the war against Voldemort. She discovered a potion to cure lycanthropy. She was there on the battlefield, the day of the Final Battle. But most importantly, she believed in me when I switched over to the good side. She may not have liked me, but she was there for me, and for that, I can never thank her enough.

“We were never friends, but now that she’s gone, I feel as though I’ve lost a big part of me. She was the part that stuck with me when nobody else would, the part that believed in me, even after all I’d done to her in the past.” By now, even Draco was beginning to choke up.

“Even after all she’d done for me, I never got the chance to properly thank her. I only hope that somewhere, she’s listening, and knows that this was the best thank you I could think to give her.

“So never forget Hermione Granger, because I know that I never will.”