Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Drabble - Epitaphs and Eulogies - Results in!

Hybrid View

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

The Weekly Drabble - Epitaphs and Eulogies - Results in!

(With thanks to the lovely joanna for suggesting this idea)

This is a slightly unusual drabble assignment.

Everyone deserves an epitaph or eulogy of some description, be it bad or good.

Your challenge this week is to write an epitaph or a eulogy for one of the Harry Potter characters. They do not have to be dead in canon at the moment; this could be a final battle death, an old age death, broken heart death, illness... anything.

I know this sounds quite morbid, but it's a good way to get to the heart of a character when this has to encapsulate what the person writing really feels about them. This doesn't have to be a sad drabble; it could be a wonderful celebration of a person's life.

The character must be canon and must have had a speaking part in the books, even if it is only a few words.

And the rules...

Drabbles must be between 100 and 499 words.

All MNFF's normal standards apply, including grammar, spelling and formatting. Points may be deducted for badly presented drabbles.

You can earn 5 points for your house for entering no matter how many drabbles you post. The winner will be awarded an additional 20 house points, second place 15 and third 10.

If you enter more than one drabble, it must be edited into one post. You must not post more than once in this thread.

Challenge closes July 28th..

Use this form...

Author Name:
    House: [you must enter this or you will not gain points]
    Title:
    Word Count:
    Warnings:

If you have any questions, please ask them in the "The
    Question Corner" thread, NOT this one. This is for the
    drabbles only.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

emily_the_poet
    Cheery topic, Jan!

Author Name: Emily_the_poet
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: It's Your Turn to Shine
    Word Count: 359
    Warnings: Character Death

I really hope this is okay:

"Luna; she was a wonderful person, a loving friend." Eighteen-year-old Ginny said with conviction to the crowd that had assembled at her best friend's memorial. "She was with no doubt the dottiest person I ever had the chance of meeting. She would be crazy, yet lucid at the same time. I remember, she was always telling me about something that probably doesn't exist, or something that her daddy had written in his newspaper. I remember I always pretended to listen while I was really ignoring everything she said. I regret that now. I never appreciated her the way she should have been appreciated. I always woke up the next morning; sure she would be down in the great hall waiting for me. It's hard to believe she's gone. That's the thing about wars; you never know who will live and who will die. So make sure you’re not the one in my position next time. Make sure your not the one standing up at the podium saying you regretted not giving another person everything they deserved. Enough about me and you," She said, biting back tears, "Luna is the one in the spot light today." The audience watched her walk over to the picture of Luna, and stroke it softly, but no one heard her whisper, "It's your turn to shine."

"Luna laughed. She loved. She never said anything she regretted, but everything she said was so blunt that you wanted to sweep her into a hug, or shake her, just because it hurt you to see her so indifferent to others influence. How could someone who lost their mother at nine be so forgiving? She bore the taunts of her peers with a smile on her face. She didn't get angry, or even, when she was harassed. She just took it in stride. She was always there to back up a friend; she rescued me from Filch on several occasions." Here she paused and brushed a tear from her eye.

"You don't find many Luna's in this world, so if you find one, embrace him or her. Don't toss them aside like we did with ours. I only wish she could hear the great things we said about her today, we didn't compliment her enough when she was alive."

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Author Name: Schmerg_The_Impaler
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Hero’s Tribute
    Word Count: 249
    Warnings: Character Death (Dur), Mild to moderate cheesiness.

Everyone at the funeral was battling valiantly with their tear ducts, usually with their tear ducts as the victors. It seemed impossible to keep a dry eye as they paid their respects to the fallen hero whose life had come to an end too soon.
    A respectful hush fell over the room as an aged wizard who took the podium and delivered a heartfelt speech-- even his face was stained with the footprints of the tears that had run down his face. “We are gathered here today to celebrate the life of a great man,” he began plaintively. “A man who is world-renowned for his great deeds. Who knows how many more lives would have been lost without him? And his untimely death was in synchronicity with his greatest achievement of all time-- some said it couldn’t be done, but he did it. He defeated the evilest wizard of all time, the Dark Lord… Voldemort.” Almost everyone gasped as he spoke the name of the now-gone tyrant. Just hearing his name reminded them of the dark days when Voldemort had wreaked havoc on the wizarding world.
    “And although he is now gone, he will always live on,” said the wizard. “In our hearts, our memories, and in the series of best-selling books in which he is the protagonist!”

Gilderoy Lockhart smiled and set down his pen. His series of fictionalized autobiographies had to end with the ultimate fictionalized ending-- a truly smashing funeral. And he had surely succeeded in writing that.

hogwartsduchess
    Author Name: hogwartsduchess
    House: GRYFFINDOR!!!
    Title: A Husband’s Words
    Word Count: 337
    Warnings: none

“Friends, we are gathered here today to honour the memory of Ginevra Weasley. Those who knew her best praise her as a brave young woman, full of spirit, life, and an unquenchable fire. To me, she was kind, loving, and the most beautiful girl in the world. In the wake of the war with Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters, I would like all of you to reflect on what life meant to Ginny and the others we lost in the course of the past years. This war has touched you all in some way, and for those of us gathered here today, it has taken the light out of our lives. But there is always hope. While friends and family hold memories in their hearts, those we love are never truly gone. Ginny’s life may have ended, but the essence of her will never fade. Ginny was a courageous, powerful and talented witch, someone all those here admired and respected. She exemplified the spirit of Gryffindor, the DA, and the Order of the Phoenix. She was daring, fearless and self-sacrificing. I know that better than any one else.” Harry paused to wipe his eyes.

“Ginny stepped in front of a Killing Curse meant for me, insuring my protection. She gave her life to save our world. What better way to show our appreciation and respect by being here for her today, as she makes her passage beyond the veil to join the loved ones who have gone before her? I know that we all would give whatever we could to bring her back, but I would not dishonour her memory in such a way, and nor should you. Ginny, brave and brilliant as she was, would not have wanted us to weep and wail. She would have had you eat, drink, and wish her spirit a good journey to the next world. I would like all of you present to raise your glasses and toast the true hero of this war: Ginevra Weasley Potter, my wife.”

lily_16_evans
    Author Name: lily_16_evans
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Grawp's Lament
    Word Count: 307
    Warnings: none

The colossal man marched through the parted crowd and stepped up to the podium, directly behind the large coffin. On any other day there would have been gasps due to his size, but not today, not on the day of his brother’s funeral.

“I Grawp,” sobbed the speaker, “Hagger teach Grawp ter speak.” Grawp showed a small smile beneath the tears, remembering all that his brother had done for him.

“Grawp not know Hagger when he were little; He grew up big-bone wizard, Grawp grew up small-bone giant. He not such good big-bone wizard, wizards not want him, tell him to leave. But, Mr. Dumbledore know best, tells him to stay - he work and live here.” Grawp waved his hand at the castle behind the audience of mourners, who kept their eyes fixed on Grawp.

“Grawp born on mountain, I not such good small-bone giant, giants not want Grawp, they not tell Grawp, they just show Grawp.” Grawp gave a small wince in recognition of years of being beaten by larger and stronger giants. “Two ago years, Hagger come find Grawp hiding from bigger giants. At first me not like Hagger so much, but he smaller so Grawp know he can’t hurt Grawp. He take Grawp to this forest, and tie Grawp down!” Grawp motioned behind him to the Forbidden Forest, as the crowd let out small laughs, having taken Grawp’s last comment as a joke.

“Hagger teach Grawp many things and he make sure Grawp is safe. He meet Grawp with Harry Potter and Ms. Hermy. He be great man, saved Grawp from bad war.” Grawp had to give himself a moment to recollect, as the tears were flowing down his cheeks in streams. But, in the end he couldn’t continue as he had, due to the heavy sobs escaping from his mouth.

“Where Hagger?”

coppercurls
    Author Name: coppercurls
    Title: Speaker for the Dead
    Word Count: 497
    Warnings: character death, mild language

As spoken by Harry:
    "You all know why we are gathered here today. I’m not going to pretend that the past never happened. I make no excuses.

Like all other boys, he was born and for a little while he lived. He had his faults and his failures. Everyone knew he was cruel, selfish, and cold. The words that lashed from his tongue were venomous. He never hesitated to use a jinx or a hex, picking on the small and the weak.

His father shaped him and molded him; brought him up to despise weakness in any form, to strive for perfection. In others, would we see this goal as perverse? To better ourselves? But no, you say. He warped those ideas with selfishness; they were wrong they didn’t agree with ours. No one took the time to understand, to explain. What was the use? He was born bad.

We called him Ferret behind his back, and sometimes to his face. We never let him forget his shame. After all, he was an animal, a twisted, evil creature who should be shunned or he would bite. We forgot that any animal backed into a corner will fight.

No one was close to him. Who could he speak to? The only ones who didn’t despise him were taught to need no one, the same as he. And so instead of friends he took followers. To late did he discover what being a leader means. He was surrounded, yet more isolated than before.

He lost his father to prison, his idol desecrated before his eyes. No one bore him sympathy. Who’d waste compassion on scum like that? All the while we despised him, and told him he was worthless. So he became what we made him- a servant of Voldemort.

He was given the impossible task of killing Dumbledore. His efforts were clumsy, a cursed necklace, a poisoned drink. Innocent people were hurt. People he shouldn’t give a damn about. And he cried. Even his grief held no sanctity, provoking a certain scar-faced boy who wouldn’t drop his grudge.

His use of the vanishing wardrobe was clever, a trait often overlooked. It was easy to forget his intelligence, he was eclipsed by a muggleborn at every turn, a girl he had been taught was beneath the dust on his feet. It must have chafed him to be second best.

He didn’t kill Dumbledore. He chose not to be what we had tried to make him, chose not to kill. There was never murder in his soul. He died by Voldemort’s own hand. Died for trying to make his life his own.

I don’t give you the guilt of his death, but the responsibility of our actions. I do not ask that you honor him, for some of you that would be asking too much. I only ask that you try to understand, that you do not judge him too hastily; for, at the end, all Draco Malfoy wanted was to be was himself."

cmwinters
    Author Name: cmwinters
    House: Slytherin
    Title: Friends and Enemies
    Word Count: 176

On a cold and rainy day, an old man dressed in crimson and gold robes leaned heavily on a staff as he staggered slowly through sedges and reeds. The pungent smell of the earth was heavy in the air as the old man made his way towards a small hillock upon which a lone gravestone was perched.

At the top of the stone was a verdant and silver crest emblazoned with a hissing snake.

Below the crest were the only words on the stone – it was a poem.

Perfection, of a kind, was what he was after,
    And the words he used were easy to understand;
    He knew wizard folly like the back of his hand;
    And was greatly concerned with purity of blood;
    He envisioned a school, dungeons to rafters,
    And refused to admit those whose veins contained mud.

Godric Gryffindor sighed and shook his head sadly as he gazed upon the tombstone in front of him. In all my life, I had no greater friend, he thought sadly to himself. And no worse enemy.

===

(Epitaph modelled after W.H. Auden's "Epitaph on a Tyrant". "No greater friend, no worse enemy" is said to be the epitaph of Lucius Cornelius Sulla)

megan_lupin
    Author Name: megan_lupin
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Friends, Brothers
    Word Count: 337
    Note: The ending poem is not mine. It came from FanFiction.Net's Robin4's story, Promises Unbroken.

No one noticed the thin and tired man as he walked down the dirt path. If people had been watching, they would have seen his limping gait and hunched shoulders, his drawn face and shuffling walk. But they did not, because no one was watching.

The man finally made it to his destination at the path’s end and, reaching into his pocket, withdrew a wand.

“Hello, James, Lily,” he muttered, his eyes becoming slightly misty as he looked at the two graves in front of him. Some tears sought to fall from the man’s eyes, but he blinked them away.

As dark clouds shifted across the night sky, the man waved his wand, muttering a few incantations as he did so. Once the bright moon was revealed, its light shone down on a newly created headstone that had just joined the previous two.

Putting away his wand, the man sat next to the new headstone. He placed a hand on the grave to his right, his fingers tracing the name James Potter, and his other hand to the new grave, tracing over Sirius Black with his trembling fingers.

“We were friends,” the man sighed. “Hell, we were more than that . . . we were brothers. Until one left, taking everything with him. But we remained brothers, James.” And as the man stood, he turned back once more.

“Thank you for being my friend, brother.”

The man walked away, leaving behind the trio of graves, and Remus Lupin never looked back. If he had, he would have seen the moon’s light shine on the newest grave, the words upon the marble stone becoming visible.

True friendships never really die
    And family isn’t defined by blood
    It’s made strong by bonds that won’t break
    Tempered and tested by trials and pain
    What we are is brothers, and as such we remain
    Loyal to one another until the end
    And no matter what happens between this moment and then
    I shall be always thankful to have had such friends.
    ----------

Author Name: megan_lupin
    Title: In the End
    Word Count: 237

The sun shone down on the large gathering of followers who had come together to bid farewell to a hero. The weather was bright and cheerful, much unlike what many would consider a death would be like.

But perhaps, for this one individual, the sun was appropriate.

“We have gathered today to bid good-bye to a wizard who helped so many,” a thin man said. “He fought for what he believed was right, and though he was never thought of as great and powerful in the beginning, he did not allow that to stop him. Instead, he tried his hardest to succeed against all odds, and in the end, many can testify to the fact that he did.

“Neville was never considered the brightest or the most talented. He was never considered to be worthy of notice by many. But he was always loyal, and he always stood up for what he believed in. He was considered by many as an outcast, weird, or even stupid and hopeless. But in the end, the quiet boy turned out to be a powerful man and powerful wizard.

“So today, we send our farewells to him, as he travels on through the world beyond and, like Albus Dumbledore believed, to ‘the next great adventure.’ Neville did not seem like a great, outstanding Gryffindor in the beginning, but in the end, he proved himself far more than anyone could have thought.”

~Megan

Wembricken
    Author Name: Wembricken
    Title: Legacy for the Living
    Word Count: 494
    Warnings: Character death

“Last night I sat down and tried to jot out a few notes about what I wanted to say today. But I found it quite difficult, making notes about a man, realizing I would have to speak about him in a manner I had long since ceased to expect. That is, to speak about him and his departure from us all.”

“Thirty-four years together is a wonderfully long time and I dare say there are some of you gathered here today who were once robbed of such time with a loved one. There were times when I too thought that Ernie and I might not be fortunate enough to come this far together. But despite that, it seems at the same time to be such a pitifully short period.”

“When I was first told that Ernie had died, I had trouble really believing it. How does a person go through as much as he did only to die like this? Many of you remember the Second Great War, which started when we were still practically children. And Ernie gave me and others the courage to not only support, but fight for that which we believed in. At a time when uncertainty plagued us all, he stood up and lent a voice to those too afraid or too shy to speak up on behalf of the side of good.”

“Years later, when the old pains of that great war had finally begun to fade, Ernie was confronted by yet another terrible conflict, the Easter Goblin Uprising. I’ll be the first to admit that it seemed like something out of the history books, but Ernie, he hardly gave his duty a second thought. He would be gone for days at a time and would finally return home exhausted. But the thought of doing anything less than his best to try to end that horrible affair never even occurred to him.”

“To have come through so much unscathed, I thought my Ernie invincible. And when he was appointed as Head of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad, I thought he would work the remainder of his career pushing papers and assigning jobs; perhaps less exciting, but certainly much safer. But I should have known better. My Ernie changed a great deal over the years from when we first met in school and he became the sort of man that could not rest if trouble was alight.”

“Ernie did a great deal during his sixty-two years on this earth and I shouldn’t wonder that he’d have done a great deal more if he’d had the chance to stay longer. His character was plain in everything that he did. He was a high achiever, dedicated to his work, but he was also kind and gentle.”

“You leave a loving family and many friends behind, Ernie. But by far the greatest thing you leave is a legacy. And you have made us all better people because of it.”

-Hannah Abbott Macmillan

Lancelot_blackmagi
    Author Name: Lancelot_Blackmagi
    Title: First of the gang to die
    Word Count: 499
    Warnings: Character Death

Endless processions of students filed past the coffin, each to pay their individual respects to their departed friend. Some deposited their school ties, hanging them on the sides of the casket, making the sombre event awash wish despairing reds and solemn blues. Ginny Weasley passed, she did not leave her tie as so many had before her. She placed her neatly folded sweatshirt by the side of his body. He always told her he loved her smell. Running her fingers through his raven hair, she leant forward and gently kissed his lips before whispering her goodbyes into his ear. He looked so sweet, he was only sleeping.

Guided by her friends, she sat down at the front row as Hogwarts Headmaster, Harry Potter, stepped forward to read his tribute to Ginny’s fallen love.

“Friends, students, members of staff. I come here today to share with you my memories of Michael Corner. Many of you will see these as empty words, I know. But I offer them nonetheless. As far as students, and friends go, Michael was the best you could possibly wish for. He was smart… Tenacious in his pursuit of his goals, socially very popular, and endlessly optimistic. And why not? Michael’s recovery from his initial injuries was hailed as a miracle. He was doing everything that every healer told him he would never do again. He was talking, he was walking. Soon he was even flying again. His inability to remember any of his past life did not hinder him in the least. Soon he was making new friendships, relationships. Perhaps even rekindling old ones. For six whole months, Michael reacquainted this school with his beautiful soul. Many of you here believe that I was somehow responsible for this, and I let you. For I too was desperate to believe it also… We’re taught as teachers that we’re in control of peoples destinies, but the truth is we’re not. All we are are foot soldiers, trying to forge a path for our charges. Michael knew this. He didn’t expect a miracle from me because he knew he was the miracle. What he expected from me was to do my best. And that is what I tried to do. I’m sorry it wasn’t enough. Thank you.”

Taking a deep breath, Ginny walked past Harry to pay her tribute to the fallen hero. “You know, I don’t think Michael would’ve liked today. He always hated school assemblies,” she laughed to herself. “But you know what he did love? He loved Quidditch. He loved being the guy everyone came to when they had a problem, and looking at the faces here today, most of you did at one time. He loved those little sour things you get at Honeydukes. But most of all, He loved Hogwarts. Even when we all talked about moving on after we left, after the war was over, Michael didn’t. He said he always wanted to be a part of Hogwarts… Now he will, thank you.”