Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animagi

magyk001
    Quote Originally Posted by lupins_girl2006
    I think we should write a letter to Mrs. Rowling and ask her how people know what their form will take, how they go through the process and all the other things involved with becoming and Animagus.
    ~Allie
    yes that would be a good idea. I guess im being kinda stubborn, but i really think that the animagus process would discover your hidden triats for you. That being said, here's a new question....

How do you think one would actually become an Animagus? I mean, would they have to take a potion? Would they have to peform a spell on themsleves?

I'll listen to what everyone else has to say before throwing in my 2 cents. (keeps money in pocket)

Josh
    We know it took the Marauders five years, and they were the most advanced in their age group in the school. We know that it's also very dangerous which is why you must register, so that doesn't really give much light on the subject.

However, if it was dangerous and there was a high risk of dying, it makes it less likely that it was a spell. We know they were eager and stubborn and wouldn't worry to much aout casting a wrong spell. Yet, none of them have turned into giant slugs or died, so I think it would be a potion. This would be more interesting than a spell for a story about them making it/a sub-plot.

Hope I helped and I wasn't too confusing, I've just woken up!

~Josh

leahsm2
    Well, it would have to be potionless and wandless since Sirius does it in Azkaban; and fall under the Transfiguration umbrella since McGonagall shows it off in her class.

Josh
    I meant as in to learn how to do it, once you have become one (by drinking the potion etc.) you can do it whenever without a wand.

~Josh

lupins_girl2006
    Well, it would have to be potionless and wandless since Sirius does it in Azkaban; and fall under the Transfiguration umbrella since McGonagall shows it off in her class.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be potionless. Perhaps it's both a spell and a potion, a wandless spell of course. Maybe the person drinks the potion as a one time thing, and as for the spell, they would have to use a spell to activate the potion. This would mean the spell would have to be one of Transfiguration and wandless.

~Allie

magyk001
    I personally think that the process to become an animagi would probably involve a spell, but the main part of the process would probably be a potion. I also don't think that it took the marauders 5 years to discover the steps of the animagi process, but it took them 5 years to probably prepare themselves the best they could. Also, i agree with Josh that the ministry would want you to register because the process would be dangerous and also so they would be able to distinguis certain animagi. This leads to yet another question :

Do you think that the ministry would help people to become Animagi? Like, if they requested to know the steps to become one, would the ministry help them?

Josh
    Do you think that the ministry would help people to become Animagi? Like, if they requested to know the steps to become one, would the ministry help them?

I think the dept. for the control of magical creatures/ experimental magical charms would be keen to assist, but I imagine it would be more like a pamphlet explaining some key methods or a book. I don't think they'd have any group classes or put that many resources towards it as in GoF, Hermione says that she checked for Rita Skeeta on the list of registered Animagi. Even if she only checked for the last say 20 years it was still quite easy for her to go through the list (though that could be Hermione's uber-fast reading.) It also probably isn't widely used as we only know of a few people who can do it.

Hope I helped, sorry if this question is answered before this is posted, I'm still awaiting my house to be added to my profile so I still have limited privileges.

~Josh

lupins_girl2006

Personally, even during the first wizarding war, I think the Ministry had it's head stuck up it's butt. They probably would want to know why you wanted to become one, along with wanting someone there to keep a watchful eye on you so that they can make sure you're not giving the instructions to someone like Voldemort, or Harry if it's the second war.

magyk001

I agree with Josh that they might give you a pamphlet or something. But, i think the ministry would leave the responsibility of doing the Animagi process correclty up to you. Unless, you're reason for being an Animagi had something to do with your job at the ministry (Example: becoming one for an undercover Auror mission).

New question!: What do you think would happen if you messed up the process?

Josh
    well, we know it's very dangerous so perhaps there is a mitral peril. Or perhaps you are constantly stuck half way between the animal you were trying to become like hermionie in cos. Sorry if this hasn't been terribly productive, I'm on my touch and it's quite hard to write.

~josh