Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Animagi

Nundu
    Quote Originally Posted by lupins_girl2006
    I think we should write a letter to Mrs. Rowling and ask her how people know what their form will take
    She discussed it in a couple of interviews. In 2005 she said
    You see, you do not know what you are going to be until you have done it, so you might spend half a decade trying to turn into an animal and then find out you were a slug or something, which would be most unpleasant. <snip> If you wanted to be something impressive, you would probably be something like a stag or a tiger, would you not, I just suspect I might be a guinea pig or something which would be so embarrassing.

celipsis
    Going back to the question of how one becomes an animagus: I don't think it requires a spell or a potion or anything remotely of that sort. Because one's animagus has so much to do with one's inner self, I think it would be purely a mental struggle. For one thing, there are many wizards who are powerful in that they can whip up a potion or cast a spell (even an incredibly difficult one), many of whom don't appear to have animagi forms. On the other hand, Rita Skeeter, for example, became an animagus; maybe I'm underestimating her, but she doesn't strike me as the type to possess any stunning ability. I think the process of becoming an animagus involves a mental journey, during which one learns more about one's true self; I kind of picture a Zen-like meditation

Not the sort of thing the Ministry could offer information on, but a journey that each must complete for his or herself; I don't think the knowledge of how to become an animagus is even readily available. I also don't think people like Voldemort could become an animagus because it seems to be the type of magic requiring introspection - not one of Voldy's strong points - rather than raw power.

Now what would happen if one screwed up the process of becoming an animagus? I think it would result in mental devastation, true insanity maybe. After screwing up such a thing, I think one would lose all sense of self and purpose.

~celipsis

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    My question about Animagi is one (well, two) about emotional duress. Do you think if a person were under incredible emotional stress, they may not be able to to change their form the same way Tonks was unable to for a time?

Also, you think a person were extremely stressed or motivated to become an Animagus could learn how to transform even faster than most would? It could be seen as an adrenaline thing, the same way a mother is able to lift a car that is crushing her child.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Azhure
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Do you think if a person were under incredible emotional stress, they may not be able to to change their form the same way Tonks was unable to for a time?
    Yes, I think emotional stress would affect the transformation. I've always thought that in order to transform you need to concentrate and clear your mind, stay calm. Then you can somehow 'get in touch with your inner animal' and transform. That's also why I think that it takes a while to become an animagus. It's sort of like Occlumency - you need to control the emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Also, you think a person were extremely stressed or motivated to become an Animagus could learn how to transform even faster than most would?
    As you can see above, my point of view is that this would not work. But that's only what I think.

~~Azhure~~

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    My question about Animagi is one (well, two) about emotional duress. Do you think if a person were under incredible emotional stress, they may not be able to to change their form the same way Tonks was unable to for a time?
    Emotional stress can interfere with everything you do, physical and mental, so it's not hard to imagine that someone might be unable to concentrate enough to transform while suffering severe distress.

Also, you think a person were extremely stressed or motivated to become an Animagus could learn how to transform even faster than most would? It could be seen as an adrenaline thing, the same way a mother is able to lift a car that is crushing her child.
    I'm not sure what you're asking: could one go from non-Animagus to Animagus faster if sufficiently motivated, or could an Animagus learn to transform from human form to Animagus form (or vice versa) more quickly, if motivated?

If the former, I imagine that a really dedicated student could probably become an Animagus faster than usual. It takes three to five years to earn a PhD, on average, but someone bright and really, really focused can do it in two.

If the latter, I'm not sure how "adrenaline" would relate to "learning" how to do it. Adrenaline implies something you do in an emergency, exceeding your usual limitations, which isn't the same as learning how to do it repeatedly. I would think adrenaline could conceivably speed someone's transformation, yes. As for learning to do faster transformations, I suppose that might be possible. If someone practices transforming over and over, pushing themselves to do it faster each time, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to get better at it, though I suspect there are probably some physical limits on how fast it can be done.

(McGonagal's transformation into a cat is pretty darn fast.)

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I'm curious, what do you guys think the average amount of time is for learning how to become an Animagi. What do you think was the shortest amount of time ever taken? What factors do you think would make it easier or harder to learn how to transform?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I'm curious, what do you guys think the average amount of time is for learning how to become an Animagi. What do you think was the shortest amount of time ever taken? What factors do you think would make it easier or harder to learn how to transform?
    It's supposed to be difficult and dangerous. I don't think it's the sort of thing you could do in a week or two.

The Marauders did it, and it took them a couple of years. On the other hand, they all were able to do it (and while preoccupied with their regular studies and such at the same time). They were supposed to be talented boys, but I don't think they were all super-genius uber-powerful wizards. So if three teenage boys could learn how, studying part time over the course of a few years, I'd think a highly skilled and educated adult wizard could do it in much less time.

That's assuming it's just a matter of study. It might be that being able to transform also involves "conditioning" your body to be able to handle the transformation, or getting it to transform little by little, in which case there might be a minimum time no matter how good you are.