Thread: Marauder Era O.W.L. results.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

Marauder Era O.W.L. results.

In my Marauder era fic they're all about to get their O.W.L. results. I would appreciate some answers to these questions.

The people concerned are the four Marauders, Lily and Snape.
    The subjects are, Transfig, Charms, Potions, DADA, Herbology, Care of Mag.Creatures, History of Magic, Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Muggle studies, Divination and Astronomy.

1) Do you think any of these six took all 12 subjects?
    I'm thinking that James, Sirius and certainly Snape had the brains but would they have bothered with some of the subjects? (Divination and Muggle Studies spring to mind.)

2) Which subjects do you see any of them getting 'Outstanding' in?

3) Can you see James, Sirius and Snape failing any subject they took?
    I wondered if James might deliberately fail Divination or whether his pride would get in the way?

4)Is there a subject that you could see Peter getting a higher grade than his friends?

5) Out of the six people who do you think would have done the best?

6) Can anyone tell me what Arithmancy actually is?
    Sorry that sounds like a frivolous question but I'm not sure what it is and need to decide if someone like James or Snape would have bothered with it.

7) This may be an error but Hermione got 10 O's and one E in her O.W.Ls. She'd dropped Muggle Studies and Divination so is there a 13th subject that I'm unaware of?

Please share any insights you may have.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Mistletoe
    I highly doubt anyone else would pull a Hermione. I'm sure she would have mentioned something about how it had been done before when she did it during their third year.

• James would have gotten an Outstanding in Transfiguration. Perhaps in DADA too.
    • Sirius was said too be rather brilliant, so maybe give him three or four Outstandings. JKR never told us what he was excptional at, so you can make it up for yourself.
    • I be Severus would have gotten an Outstanding in DADA and Potions. He was fascinated with both of them, was he not? You could add maybe one Outstanding, but there isn't any evidence that he was particularly brilliant when it came to anything else
    • Lily would get and Outstanding in Charms and apparently she had trouble with Transfiguration, so maybe an Exceeds Expectations there. Lily probably didn't take Muggle Studies as she was one for a while, so it was probably Divination there. Heh, you could give her an Outstanding at Divination. That would certainly mix things up.
    • Remus maybe would get two or three maybe. He was the book smart one, but we were never given his best classes either, so it's up to you. Maybe he is the type to take Muggle Studies.
    • Peter, I doubt, got any Outstandings. Maybe one and he can get all excited . . . Maybe in Herbology or something >.<

I don't think James is really the type to deliberately fail any of his subjects. He liked being the best, so I'm pretty sure that meant he would have passed all his exams. Now, I don't really know if he would have taken Divination. Perhaps Arithmancy? However, Divination seems to be the most popular one. Sirius and James would probably take the same optional class (Muggle Studies, Arithmancy, Divination), but I highly doubt Snape would want to waste his time with Muggle Studies or Divination. He was probably in Arithmancy.

4)Is there a subject that you could see Peter getting a higher grade than his friends?
    Erm, well we've always known that he wasn't as bright as the others, so perhaps he will get a few Exceeds Expectations as his best marks in some classes, while the other boys would get those as their worst marks.

That's a tough one. See, I think that James, Sirius, and Severus would all have gotten at least three Outstandings. It just depends on who you would want to give a fourth or fifth one to.

Erm, I don't know if I'm allowed to link the Lexicon, so I'll just quote it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HP Lexicon>Hogwarts>schedule>Arithamncy
    Arithmancy is a branch of magic that is concerned with the magical properties of numbers; someone who practices Arithmancy is called an Arithmancer.For example, in the 1200s, Bridget Wenlock, a famous Arithmancer, discovered the magical properties of the number seven (fw22). An O.W.L. in Arithmancy is required to apply for a curse-breaker's job at Gringotts' (OP29).

Arithmancy at Hogwarts is taught by Professor Vector. In her class, students are expected to write essays and to be able to understand complicated number charts, which are part of their homework (PA12). Hermione Granger appears to be the only Gryffindor in her year who attempted an O.W.L. in this subject (which is her favourite) (PA12, PA16).
    7) This may be an error but Hermione got 10 O's and one E in her O.W.Ls. She'd dropped Muggle Studies and Divination so is there a 13th subject that I'm unaware of?
    >.> <.< That's sketchy. Well there's DADA, Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, Arithmancy, Muggle Studies, Divination, Herbology, History of Magic, Ancient Runes and Care of Magical Creatures. So that's eleven if I counted correctly.

<33Kat

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Thank-you for your insights especially explaining Arithmancy to me.

Bill and Percy both got 12 O.W.L's and I can't work out how they did that unless McGonagall got them time turners too! I think it's a JK error so I think I'll leave it that none of the Marauder era students got 12.

The twelfth subject is Astronomy which I think they all do don't they?

Carole

Banner by minnabird

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    The twelfth subject is Astronomy which I think they all do don't they?
    Astronomy was a mandatory subject which all had to take. So all six students would have taken the OWLs in this subject, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe
    Lily would get and Outstanding in Charms and apparently she had trouble with Transfiguration, so maybe an Exceeds Expectations there. Lily probably didn't take Muggle Studies as she was one for a while, so it was probably Divination there. Heh, you could give her an Outstanding at Divination. That would certainly mix things up.
    We also know that Lily was brilliant at Potions. I therefore think she'd got an Outstanding at Potions, too. What would be likely is that Lily did good in History of Magic as well. Maybe an E or even an O?

But I don't see Lily being the type taking Divination and getting an Outstanding there. I think she'd be more the kind of person liking Ancient Runes or Arithmancy. Lily's personality strikes me similar to Hermione who related more to facts rather than prophecies. To me even Muggle Studies is more likely to be chosen by Lily than Divination. But that's just my two Sickles.

Remus maybe would get two or three maybe. He was the book smart one, but we were never given his best classes either, so it's up to you. Maybe he is the type to take Muggle Studies.
    I agree with Kat about Remus taking Muggle Studies. But I think he was good in DADA, too. I can see him getting at least an E if not an O in DADA. After all, he's teaching the subject, isn't he? So he must be some good at it. And I see Remus being the type of student for Arithmancy or Ancient Runes, too, maybe even Astronomy.

Sirius I think would have been brilliant in DADA, Transfiguration and probably Charms, too. He might have taken Divination, but more as fun than being interested into the subject. What would be interesting to know is if Sirius was interested in Muggle Studies. We know he was crazy after his motorbike, and he had those Muggle girl posters on his bedroom walls. So why not let Sirius take Muggle Studies? It would also work with him trying to annoy his parents who detested everything lower than pure-blood.

What I see the Marauders taking is Care of Magical Creatures. Lily in my opinion, as well as Severus, would take this subject, too. And from the OWLs: they all would get an E or A, unless you give anyone of these six a special liking in animals, like for example Peter. This person then could maybe achieve an O.

Out of the six people who do you think would have done the best?
    That's a tough one. See, I think that James, Sirius, and Severus would all have gotten at least three Outstandings. It just depends on who you would want to give a fourth or fifth one to.
    I agree with Kat. However, I think Lily would be up in the "race for doing best", too. If I remember correctly, she was considered to be a bright witch, too.

Hope I could help a bit.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

AurorKeefy
    I'm thinking that James, Sirius and certainly Snape had the brains but would they have bothered with some of the subjects? (Divination and Muggle Studies spring to mind.)
    Well, as you point out, there are some typical J.K. Rowling numeracy problems going on here. If the question is did any of the Marauders use a time-turner, a la Hermione, then I'm inclined to say no. Hermione was a special case when it came to the time turner for classes. James, Sirius and, for different reasons, Severus were not trustworthy enough to given something that powerful. Peter would never attempt extra classes, and Lupin, frankly, has enough on his plate without worrying about taking extra subjects.

Lily could potentially have used one, but frankly I don't think that distributing time-turners amongst students is all that common, so my gut instinct says no.

James: DAtDA, Transfiguration, At least one elective subject, Herbology
    Sirius: DAtDA, Transfiguration, Charms, One elective subject, Herbology
    Remus: DAtDA, One or more electives, Herbology, History of Magic
    Wormtail: None.
    Lily: All, but for Transfiguration and DAtDA
    Severus: All, frankly.

*Shrugs*

James and Sirius maybe. They seem the sort who would "fluff" (relatively speaking) their OWLs and then reach their potential during their NEWTS. If anything, History of Magic and Divination are obvious examples.

Severus I can't see failing anything. In fact, given Snape's brilliance, dedication to his work and the shere amount he has to say on every subject, I'd be surprised if he didn't get O's in all of them. That, of course, is just my opinion.

Oh, and Remus would probably fail Astronomy, since he's phobic of the moon.

No.

Please, have it in order.

Severus---->Lily---->Sirius/James---->Remus---->Peter

And, incidentally, for NEWTS...

Severus/James---->Sirius---->Lily---->Remus---->Peter

Mistletoe found the link, which is all we have. Personally, I've always thought that a good knowledge of Arithmancy would be needed for spell and magical object creation. As such, it is a subject I would imagine was studied by Severus, Riddle, Dumbledore, The Weasley Twins, Hermione (obviously), and people who go on to create things. Of the marauders, Severus would have done it, Lily might have done it, and I can't see the rest of them. Remus and Peter wouldn't have, and Sirius and James would probably have chosen subjects with those two.

It is possible that there were more electives than were mentioned. It is, however, a certainty that J.K. Rowling needs a calculator. When talking about OWLs, try and ignore those numbers, and just create grade sheets that work.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Hermione got 9 O's and 1 E in DADA. So that is only 10. The two extra classes were Arithmacy and Ancient Runes.

Here is my two Knuts on the break-down of classes and grades: (with all my comments, see below on Peter)

Transfiguration: James and Sirius definitely got O's. I think Peter would have gotten an E. He may have had trouble becoming an Animagi, but remember, that is exceptional hard to do. Severus, I can't see him getting anything less than an E only because he was a very smart man. Also, transfiguration has loose ties to potion making which we know he was exceptional at. Lily, I think she would have gotten an A. Remus an E. He was smart but hadn't studied the subject to the extent of the other 3 Marauders.

Charms: I believe all four Marauders got O's in this subject. They created the Marauder map which would have involved charms. Lily, also an O. It has been stated she was very good at Charms. Severus an E. Though as above, he could have gotten an O.

Potions: Lily and Severus, O's. James, Sirius, and Peter, possible an E but no less than an A. Remus an E or at the least an A. I don't think Remus got an O because if he did, he would have understood and been able to brew the Wolfsbane potion himself.

DADA: Lily an A because while I can see her making sure she passed, at this point she wouldn't have known she would be joining the Order and pushed herself to get a better grade. Not that she didn't try, that's not what I mean, I mean she wouldn't have put in the extra work in it as I can see her doing for her N.E.W.T.s. The Marauders and Snape would have gotten O's. Even Peter.

Herbology: Lily and Snape, O's. This subject goes back to potions. Peter could have excelled at this if you want a subject he got a better grade than the other 3 Marauders. I would say an A for the other 3. Peter an E.

Care of Magical Creatures: This is an elective. So, if it was taken by them then they each would have gotten E's at least. Though you can lower any of them to an A.

History of Magic: Lily and Remus, O's. James and Sirius, A's. Peter possible an E. Snape, E or an O.

Arithmancy: I can only see Lily and Remus taking this subject. Both would have gotten O's.

Ancient Runes: Again Lily and Remus, both getting O's.

Muggle studies: If any of them took this elective, it would have been Remus. He would of gotten an E. I can see Peter taking this and getting an E also.

Divination: I don't really see any of them taking this subject.

Astronomy: The Marauders, O's. Lily an E or A. Snape, an E. While Remus had a fear of the moon because of his 'furry problem', I can see him as well as the rest of the Marauders doing well in this subject because of his problem.

*ducks* Snape. Before you throw things at me, let me explain my reasoning. Snape had no 'real' friends other than Lily. He would have had plenty of time for studying. What else did he have to do. He had started hanging out with future DE's but I don't think at the time of the exams, he was in that good with them.
    Remus and Lily were both very smart, but I honestly feel Snape would have possibly gotten O's in all the classes he took. If you need something Snape was bad at, then have it be History of Magic.

*ducks again* I do not believe Peter was stupid. I think he was a nervous person possibly, but I believe he was smart. The other 3 Marauders were very intelligent so why would they have had a 'dumb' kid hanging out with them? If he was stupid, I cannot see James or Sirius putting up with it. I can't see them hanging around someone who was not at least as smart as they were. Peter was not just there to feed their egos. Their egos were big enough without him. Peter had to have contributed something besides the cliched 'hero worship' of a lot of fanfics. Personally, I think he would have done very well in a lot of his subject as I listed above, even better than James and Sirius in a couple. (rant over Peter being useless over)

Absolutely not. Their egos would not have let them. They were the type to have had to show off and get the best grades they could. Especially Sirius whose family thought he was worthless being sorted into Gryffindor.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hello
    Back again to discuss and add one or two more questions.

Terri
    Hermione got 9 O's and 1 E in DADA. So that is only 10. The two extra classes were Arithmacy and Ancient Runes. In HBP Ron reads out her results and says 10 o's and one Exceeds expectations. I don't know if this was changed in later editions of the book. It begs the question how Bill and Percy were able to get 12 though.

Thank you for mentioning the Marauders being good at Charms because of the map. I had thought that I'd make Lily the only one to get an O in Charms but I can see I'll have to alter that. You're right.

You don't have to duck I'd come to the same conclusion myself. he's not getting outsatnding for everything though. Given what I've written in Chapter 3 I've had him messing Transfiguration up a teensy bit. Sorry Snape fans.

I think I'm going to have Peter getting a better mark in something like Divination. I want something that they (The Marauders) can look at and congratulate him on- even if it's a bit patronising. I know he's not dumb but he isn't as clever as the other three. McGonagall says in POA that she had to be sharp with him and that he wasn't in the same league talent-wise as James and Sirius. When it comes down to it I can't see Peter getting hugely better marks than Harry.

I personally think Remus would have been very good at Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures because he knows his Dark Arts remedies (Madam Pomfrey's impressed with him) and he knows a lot about creatures like Hinky punks and the like. But if anyone can see a flaw in my logic please let me know.

Muggle Studies.
    Okay this is a new question. I would like Sirius to do this subject and be good at it. I think possibly he does it without James (James is going to do Arithmancy instead). My problem is that I really can't see the lovely Walburger and Orion letting Sirius do Muggle studies when he choses options in his 3rd year. Do you think he would have been strong enough then to defy them? Alternatively do you think Dumbledore would agree to Sirius keeping it secret from his parents? Sirius could easily get his friends to buy his books for him but I'm thinking that the Hogwarts letters with book lists would be read by his parents. Or is there a way you could think of that W and O could be persuaded that Muggle Studies is an okay subject for their son?

Really appreciating all your views here. I'm spending far too long on this but I find it fascinating (WOW I must be dull!)

Thank-you

Carole

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I can see Sirus defying them openly or keeping doing Muggle Studies a secret. I don't think that Dumbledore would tell his parents, and Sirus could lie in letters.

I think that Peter might have been better than James and Sirus at History of Magic. James and Sirus don't strike me as the type to pay attention and I think that Peter would.