Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hufflepuffs Fly into the Pitch!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch

Hufflepuffs Fly into the Pitch!

Welcome, Hufflepuff team! I'm sure we can make this match count for our House! Pass that Quaffle!

Teh Team:
    TheBlackSister (Alice)
    Lilykinslove (Emma)
    luinrina (Bine)
    bling_baby (Kathleen)

Here are the rules to be used as reference.

And the prompt:
    Breaking Down Barriers

We are aware that the wizarding world has seen its fair share of discrimination through the ages. The same could be said for Quidditch. Now as a team, it will be your job to show us how a Quidditch team works through a social barrier. It can involve race, blood status, sexual or anything else your team comes up with. Characterization will be very important and, as always, the match will need to be shown in a large part of your story. (This is the QWC, remember!)
    -Alice

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    *catches Quaffle*

Off we go, badgers!

“Alice!”

A dark-haired witch turned around. With the Quaffle still in her left hand, Alice Sister steered her broom down towards the other woman. “What is it?”

Stopping directly in front of her captain, Emma Kinslove brandished the Daily Prophet. “The Ministry is going to pass a law that allows only thirteen teams to play professional Quidditch in a new-found league. The other teams will have to disband.”

“What?” the other team members asked; they had landed around Emma and Alice.

Emma continued, “They don’t want female teams playing in the League.” She waved the newspaper angrily.
    97 words according to MSW.

*hopes she did that correctly*

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Fourth Year Hufflepuff

My bit! We are off to a great start, so let's not stop - GO BADGERS!! This just happens to be 100 words

“How can this be happening? This is outrageous! They aren’t going to be fair!” Protests were swirling in the air like heavy autumn leaves.

“Ladies, ladies! This is not the end of the world, at least we won’t allow it to be one, please listen to me,” Alice said smiling at the worried faces of her teammates. “There obviously be difficulties, as the judges will be…reluctant to be fair, due to our gender. That means we must not give them an opportunity to be unfair. It will be hard to accomplish, but I have complete faith in each of you.”
    -Alice

LilykinsLove
    Everyone stood in a haggard position - no one was comfortable with what-was-to-come.

"Are they expressly saying that women can' compete?" several people asked.

Emma furrowed her eyebrows, unfurled the paper, and searched. After a few minutes, she found her answer.

"No." she looked up, "But you know that's got to be one of their first thoughts with this. They've been complaining about our leagues for years. They've finally found something to do about it. There's no way they'll let us through auditions."
    Word count: 93
    Fifty Character Spam 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50 50

And here's the next:

Each thought about how to get to play in the league.

‘Alice, don’t you have an idea?’ Lucy Grey, the Seeker, asked.

‘I suppose I’ll have to talk to the Ministry.’

And she did. The next day she went to the Department of Magical Games and Sports to talk with the person in charge. They just had to let them prove themselves; everything else would be discriminating.

‘I’m sorry, ma’am, but laws are laws,’ the Ministry wizard said.

But the captain of the Holyhead Harpies had an idea. ‘Why don’t you let us play against other teams?’
    97 words (MSW)

Go badgers!

~Bine

bling_baby
    Here's hoping that I'm doing this right. Come on Badgers!

The wizard looked back at her with a blank expression. He paused, clearly thinking that the law was enough of an explanation. 'Pardon.'

'I said, "Why don't you let us play against other teams?" Surely it can be done.' Alice could not help to reveal the smug smirk which was to come in a matter of moments when her plan fell into place.

Grimacing slightly, the wizard thought about how the Ministry was not going to like this. 'I suppose...'

'Well why not? Just because we're not part of the League doesn't mean we have to hand in our broomsticks.'
    98 words

Fourth Year Hufflepuff

100 words. Keep playing!!
    “That is true, I suppose, but…”

“I do not see anything that would imply that we can’t compete for the chance to be one of the thirteen teams. If we lose, we leave, but if we don’t - well, we are not as useless as you think.”

The wizard could not find anything to reply. He signed the permission for the Harpies to compete, looking unsure.

When Alice gathered the team for the afternoon practice session, she had only this to say:

“ I hope you are ready. We’ll practice like there’s no tomorrow. If we lose, there won’t be.”
    -Alice

Yay! On on it goes!

And so they practised daily, for hours on end.

Two weeks later they had their first match. They would play against the Snowdonian Eagles. It was only one of many teams against which they would have to show their skills, but if they won this particular game, then they would have a chance.

“Are the teams ready?” the referee asked after the captains had shook hands. He held his broom in his left hand, and the box with the balls sat at his feet. Both team captains nodded. “Then let the match begin.”

Fourteen players kicked off the ground.
    99 words according to MSW.

Keep it going, badgers! We still have a chance.

~Bine

bling_baby
    Come on, Badgers! Let's do this!

Emma's heart was racing as she watched her team players swirl around her, throwing themselves from one side of the team to the other.

One eye was perticularly on Katherine Thomas, one of their beaters, whose frown was slowly turning into a snarl. Alice knew this was never good, as she was well aware that Katherine had an aggressive nature.

Also watching Katherine's anger rising, Alice's Quaffle only just managed to enter the hoop, hearing the minority cheering around her. Alice beamed and swung in one sift circle.

'Now is not the time to do your victory lap, Alice!'
    99 words!!!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff

"passes the Quaffle to the next player" 96 words according to MW

Alice jerked her head in the direction of the voice. It was Kathleen, one of the Chasers. She was one of the coolest heads on the team, always offering sound advice when everyone, including the Captain lost their heads. Now, with a meaningful glance, Kathleen reminded Alice that most of the game was still up ahead.
    Alice scanned the field, making sure that everyone was safe. Safe was a relative term, as the Eagles were determined to prove their superiority. They flew in between the Harpies, trying to cut them off in the most crucial moment.
    -Alice