Thread: Brooms

Cry-Baby Girl

Obviously, I'm writing a fanfic and need help. Can anyone think of a legal broom flying age? Was there ever a driver's license type of thing for wizards? In the books 1st years can't have brooms (though I can see why! Eleven year olds with brooms...*shudders*) and most of the parents don't allow their young children to fly anything but toy brooms (though that might just be good parenting!). So, again the question was is there a legal broom flying age/driver's license. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there is really a "legal age" kind of thing seeing as people as young as 12 are allowed on their House teams. I think the reason 1st years aren't allowed brooms is because most do not know how to fly them, and if a Muggle-born were to try the results could be disastrous, Imagine if there were forty first-years flying all over the ground. It would be massive chaos! *shudders at thought*
    Hope I helped!

Nothing in canon about broom licenses, and obviously there is no legal prohibition against first-years flying brooms, since Harry is allowed to. It's just a school policy that first-years can't have their own.

It's Apparating that requires a license.

In the wizarding world, Apparating appears to be equivalent to driving a car, while brooms are more like bicycles.

If there was something about broom licenses, we definitely would have heard about it in the books. However, if your fic is set somewhere abroad, you could probably make it a law. Since you have creative license.

Hope that helped somewhat!

The way I see it is that a toy broom is somewhat akin to a go kart. It runs like a car, but no one needs a licence for it.

Although I don't think one needs a licence to fly a broom. The school gives kids offical lessons, but nothing other than that.